Working out everyday, eating right, NOT losing weight??

Options
I've been trying to lose weight for some time, and relatively recently I've kicked it into high gear and really cleaned out my eating and started working out everyday.

I really struggle with losing weight.

For the past four weeks, I've been working out every single day, and as far as I know my diet is good. I cut out fatty foods and processed things, really overhauling from how I used to eat.
The first week I really started I lost one pound. And then all I have done is gain from there.
At the gym, everyday, I do 10-20 minutes of brisk treadmill walking on an incline, and I've incorporated sprints lately.
I do 5-10 minutes of the rowing machine.
10-15 minutes of precor
15 minutes of spin bike.
Then I do arm exercises with a 10 pound kettlebell ( I know it's not much, but I'm tiny and also don't want to build much muscle in my arms; just tone) and I'll do 50 calf raises with 5 pound weights in each hand.
This routine normally has me burning 450-500 calories and I do this at least 6 days a week.

My eating is normally like this;
every morning one measured serving of raisin bran with flax and unsweetened almond milk. (230 calories)
lunch is sometimes a small sandwich on whole grain bread with turkey and lettuce/tomato/onions and no cheese(I'm also dairy free) so around 300 calories.
I'll have either a Kashi healthy bar or an apple and PB2 as a snack(I've also cut peanut butter out of my diet and only have the basically fatless PB2) so around 100-140 calories for my afternoon snack.
Dinner is ALWAYS healthy, mostly grilled chicken and a salad (no cheese and only olive oil and vinegar as dressing) or a veggie burger and baked sweet potato. Something like that. So probably 350-400 calories I'll assume.
And after the gym I'll have a small bowl of cereal because I get very hungry after I workout. I have Cheerios so that's only 130 calories at the most with my almond milk.

I really feel so badly because I look the same as I did over a month ago, and I know it's not a long time for me to be doing this but I expect SOME sort of result after all my hard work :( it makes me feel like giving up when I don't see any sort of result. Why aren't I losing weight?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So you're netting 600-700 calories day? I don't know how you even have the energy to exercise!! You're probably freaking your body out by eating so little and exercising more. Net at least 1200 and see if in a couple months you're not doing better.
  • rainbowunicorns720
    rainbowunicorns720 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    How tiny is "tiny"?? The less you weigh the less calories you are burning during exercise. You are probably over estimating your calories burned and thus not in as large a deficit as you think. Or since you are "tiny" maybe your body doesn't want to lose any more?
  • knt6742
    knt6742 Posts: 36
    Options
    Can you make your diary public so we can give better advice? Also what is your height and weight? Is your workout routine new or have you been doing this for a while?
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Are you guesstimating those calories or are you actually weighing/measuring everything that goes into your mouth accurately. Eyeballing portions doesn't work.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Also, your body needs fat. Many vitamins and minerals are fat soluble only. Peanut butter is actually good fat and good for you whereas the non-fat substitutes often have other stuff put in so they won't taste like garbage (like oils). You can also have other butters like almond butter.

This is an excellent thread to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

lunch is sometimes a small sandwich on whole grain bread ...

so around 100-140 calories for my afternoon snack.

Dinner is ALWAYS healthy, mostly grilled chicken and a salad (no cheese and only olive oil and vinegar as dressing) or a veggie burger and baked sweet potato. Something like that. So probably 350-400 calories I'll assume.

...so that's only 130 calories at the most with my almond milk.

I think I've identified your problem. See the bolded words.

Unless you are accurately weighing, measuring, and logging what you eat, it's quite likely you're eating more than you think.

I'd also take some measurements from time to time...it's quite possible that you're not losing weight per the scale, but certain areas of your body may be shrinking/growing from the workouts.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    A couple of things jump out at me:

-You need dietary fat to be healthy and function, don't be scared of regular peanut butter.
    -You are probably over-estimating your calories burned- if you are "tiny" you are not burning 500 calories in that workout.
    -Are you weighing your food? 130 calories of cheerios is a fairly small bowl, with the almond milk added I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than you think.

Overall, though- try and relax, figure out a moderate calorie deficit to eat at, weigh your food, and be sure to take rest days.
  • dreamingofskinny2013
    Options
    Tiny as in short. I'm small in stature but I have weight to lose in my stomach , thighs, and a little in my arms.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Just eat regular food. No need to cut out stuff you think is "bad," unless you used to enjoy spoonfuls of lard. Even then, IIFYM. Sounds like there's a lot of guesswork in your day - portions ain't as big as you think. I need 1.5 to 2 servings of Cookie Crisp to make me happy in the morning.
  • dreamingofskinny2013
    Options
    Yes I do measure and I use those words because I don't eat those same specific foods each day. Based on the different foods I eat it's between those amounts I stated.
  • dreamingofskinny2013
    Options
    Can you make your diary public so we can give better advice? Also what is your height and weight? Is your workout routine new or have you been doing this for a while?

It's a new routine that I've been doing for a bit over a month. I weigh 123 and I'm 5'0
  • dreamingofskinny2013
    Options

lunch is sometimes a small sandwich on whole grain bread ...

so around 100-140 calories for my afternoon snack.

...so that's only 130 calories at the most with my almond milk.

I think I've identified your problem. See the bolded words.

Unless you are accurately weighing, measuring, and logging what you eat, it's quite likely you're eating more than you think.

I'd also take some measurements from time to time...it's quite possible that you're not losing weight per the scale, but certain areas of your body may be shrinking/growing from the workouts.

Yes I do measure and I use those words because I don't eat those same specific foods each day. Based on the different foods I eat it's between those amounts I stated.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Tiny as in short. I'm small in stature but I have weight to lose in my stomach , thighs, and a little in my arms.

Ht, Wt, Age?

Are you really only netting 600-700 cals per day?

The quoted line makes me think you don't necessarily have "weight to lose", but you're in need of a recomp. Can't say for sure without my questions answered, that and your profile locked.
  • dreamingofskinny2013
    Options
    How tiny is "tiny"?? The less you weigh the less calories you are burning during exercise. You are probably over estimating your calories burned and thus not in as large a deficit as you think. Or since you are "tiny" maybe your body doesn't want to lose any more?

In stature I'm small, I weigh 123 pounds. I haven't successfully lost anything, over a few months I've just gained. I work very hard in the gym and by registering my weight in the machines I'm able to tell what I'm burning based on weight.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Diary/open
  • dreamingofskinny2013
    Options

-You need dietary fat to be healthy and function, don't be scared of regular peanut butter.
    -You are probably over-estimating your calories burned- if you are "tiny" you are not burning 500 calories in that workout.
    -Are you weighing your food? 130 calories of cheerios is a fairly small bowl, with the almond milk added I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than you think.

Overall, though- try and relax, figure out a moderate calorie deficit to eat at, weigh your food, and be sure to take rest days.

I plug in my weight in workout machines and I really get in a good hard workout everyday. And I really don't eat much which is why I don't understand how I'm not losing. 130 calories of cheerios is enough for me, it's a one cup serving (100cal) and my almond milk is unsweetened and only 30 calories per cup. I measure it all out. I cut out regular peanut butter because of the high calorie amounts. I am sitting most of the day except for my workouts so I have to maintain a relatively low calorie intake so I'm not gaining.
  • carorb72
    carorb72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about doing carb cycling? I recently started doing that and love it.
  • dreamingofskinny2013
    Options

Ht, Wt, Age?

Are you really only netting 600-700 cals per day?

The quoted line makes me think you don't necessarily have "weight to lose", but you're in need of a recomp. Can't say for sure without my questions answered, that and your profile locked.

I know I really shouldn't weigh this much; I don't have a flat stomach and my thighs have a lot of fat, and I'm just not toned either. I know for my height (5'0) my weight (123pounds) is probably high. Considering I weigh the amount of my mom who is 5'5.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for some time, and relatively recently I've kicked it into high gear and really cleaned out my eating and started working out everyday.

I really struggle with losing weight.

For the past four weeks, I've been working out every single day, and as far as I know my diet is good. I cut out fatty foods and processed things, really overhauling from how I used to eat.
    The first week I really started I lost one pound. And then all I have done is gain from there.
    At the gym, everyday, I do 10-20 minutes of brisk treadmill walking on an incline, and I've incorporated sprints lately.
    I do 5-10 minutes of the rowing machine.
    10-15 minutes of precor
    15 minutes of spin bike.
    Then I do arm exercises with a 10 pound kettlebell ( I know it's not much, but I'm tiny and also don't want to build much muscle in my arms; just tone) and I'll do 50 calf raises with 5 pound weights in each hand.
    This routine normally has me burning 450-500 calories and I do this at least 6 days a week.

every morning one measured serving of raisin bran with flax and unsweetened almond milk. (230 calories)
    lunch is sometimes a small sandwich on whole grain bread with turkey and lettuce/tomato/onions and no cheese(I'm also dairy free) so around 300 calories.
    I'll have either a Kashi healthy bar or an apple and PB2 as a snack(I've also cut peanut butter out of my diet and only have the basically fatless PB2) so around 100-140 calories for my afternoon snack.
    And after the gym I'll have a small bowl of cereal because I get very hungry after I workout. I have Cheerios so that's only 130 calories at the most with my almond milk.

I really feel so badly because I look the same as I did over a month ago, and I know it's not a long time for me to be doing this but I expect SOME sort of result after all my hard work :( it makes me feel like giving up when I don't see any sort of result. Why aren't I losing weight?
    if you are tiny, why do you need to lose weight?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I plug in my weight in workout machines and I really get in a good hard workout everyday. And I really don't eat much which is why I don't understand how I'm not losing. 130 calories of cheerios is enough for me, it's a one cup serving (100cal) and my almond milk is unsweetened and only 30 calories per cup. I measure it all out. I cut out regular peanut butter because of the high calorie amounts. I am sitting most of the day except for my workouts so I have to maintain a relatively low calorie intake so I'm not gaining.

You should be aware that many gym machines are known to overestimate the calories burned rather badly. If you're eating back your earned exercise calories then you may want to back down to logging only 50-75% of them.

Also, there can be inconsistencies with measuring cups/spoons. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1270280-food-weighing-scale-miracles
  • dreamingofskinny2013
    Options
    Have you thought about doing carb cycling? I recently started doing that and love it.

I'm not quite sure what carb cycling is but I've tried eating very low carb and it was really hard for me (dizzy, headaches etc)