Working out everyday, eating right, NOT losing weight??

Options

Replies

• loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for some time, and relatively recently I've kicked it into high gear and really cleaned out my eating and started working out everyday.

I really struggle with losing weight.

For the past four weeks, I've been working out every single day, and as far as I know my diet is good. I cut out fatty foods and processed things, really overhauling from how I used to eat.
    The first week I really started I lost one pound. And then all I have done is gain from there.
    At the gym, everyday, I do 10-20 minutes of brisk treadmill walking on an incline, and I've incorporated sprints lately.
    I do 5-10 minutes of the rowing machine.
    10-15 minutes of precor
    15 minutes of spin bike.
    Then I do arm exercises with a 10 pound kettlebell ( I know it's not much, but I'm tiny and also don't want to build much muscle in my arms; just tone) and I'll do 50 calf raises with 5 pound weights in each hand.
    This routine normally has me burning 450-500 calories and I do this at least 6 days a week.

My eating is normally like this;
    every morning one measured serving of raisin bran with flax and unsweetened almond milk. (230 calories)
    lunch is sometimes a small sandwich on whole grain bread with turkey and lettuce/tomato/onions and no cheese(I'm also dairy free) so around 300 calories.
    I'll have either a Kashi healthy bar or an apple and PB2 as a snack(I've also cut peanut butter out of my diet and only have the basically fatless PB2) so around 100-140 calories for my afternoon snack.
    Dinner is ALWAYS healthy, mostly grilled chicken and a salad (no cheese and only olive oil and vinegar as dressing) or a veggie burger and baked sweet potato. Something like that. So probably 350-400 calories I'll assume.
    And after the gym I'll have a small bowl of cereal because I get very hungry after I workout. I have Cheerios so that's only 130 calories at the most with my almond milk.

I really feel so badly because I look the same as I did over a month ago, and I know it's not a long time for me to be doing this but I expect SOME sort of result after all my hard work :( it makes me feel like giving up when I don't see any sort of result. Why aren't I losing weight?
    By reading this I am gettting the feeling that your logging may not be "on point"...saying that you have a small bowl of cereal that is "at most" 130 calories seems to be an estimate....clean up your logging my dear!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Tiny as in short. I'm small in stature but I have weight to lose in my stomach , thighs, and a little in my arms.

Ht, Wt, Age?

Are you really only netting 600-700 cals per day?

The quoted line makes me think you don't necessarily have "weight to lose", but you're in need of a recomp. Can't say for sure without my questions answered, that and your profile locked.

I know I really shouldn't weigh this much; I don't have a flat stomach and my thighs have a lot of fat, and I'm just not toned either. I know for my height (5'0) my weight (123pounds) is probably high. Considering I weigh the amount of my mom who is 5'5.

Actually, you're within a normal weight for your height. What you're describing sounds more like a body composition issues rather than a weight issue. You might want to start eating closer to maintenance and start a progressive strength routine to get the body you want.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • dreamingofskinny2013
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for some time, and relatively recently I've kicked it into high gear and really cleaned out my eating and started working out everyday.

For the past four weeks, I've been working out every single day, and as far as I know my diet is good. I cut out fatty foods and processed things, really overhauling from how I used to eat.
    The first week I really started I lost one pound. And then all I have done is gain from there.
    At the gym, everyday, I do 10-20 minutes of brisk treadmill walking on an incline, and I've incorporated sprints lately.
    10-15 minutes of precor
    15 minutes of spin bike.
    Then I do arm exercises with a 10 pound kettlebell ( I know it's not much, but I'm tiny and also don't want to build much muscle in my arms; just tone) and I'll do 50 calf raises with 5 pound weights in each hand.
    This routine normally has me burning 450-500 calories and I do this at least 6 days a week.

every morning one measured serving of raisin bran with flax and unsweetened almond milk. (230 calories)
    lunch is sometimes a small sandwich on whole grain bread with turkey and lettuce/tomato/onions and no cheese(I'm also dairy free) so around 300 calories.
    I'll have either a Kashi healthy bar or an apple and PB2 as a snack(I've also cut peanut butter out of my diet and only have the basically fatless PB2) so around 100-140 calories for my afternoon snack.
    Dinner is ALWAYS healthy, mostly grilled chicken and a salad (no cheese and only olive oil and vinegar as dressing) or a veggie burger and baked sweet potato. Something like that. So probably 350-400 calories I'll assume.
    And after the gym I'll have a small bowl of cereal because I get very hungry after I workout. I have Cheerios so that's only 130 calories at the most with my almond milk.

I really feel so badly because I look the same as I did over a month ago, and I know it's not a long time for me to be doing this but I expect SOME sort of result after all my hard work :( it makes me feel like giving up when I don't see any sort of result. Why aren't I losing weight?
    By reading this I am gettting the feeling that your logging may not be "on point"...saying that you have a small bowl of cereal that is "at most" 130 calories seems to be an estimate....clean up your logging my dear!

I do log and before exercise I'm always at 1200 or a bit under. My cereal is 130 exactly measured. I measure all my portions
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who said you are probably overestimating how many calories you are burning at the gym. And possibly underestimating how much you are eating. Also being tiny, you are probably losing weight extremely slowly. You don't have much to lose.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Your weight isnt high. It is in the normal range for bmi. There is no reason to cut out pb. You need to open your diary so we can see it. It sounds to me like you arent eating enough. Are you eating back any of your exercise calories. I am the same height and eat way more than what you are showing if that is accurate.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Machines typically overestimate, and it's hard to know what you really burn doing the other stuff; but 500 seems really high for your workout.

Also, you'll tone more effectively with heavier weights--you won't get bulky. I'm 5'5 and 125, and I do 50-pound kettle bell swings in my warm up. I'm far from bulky.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You do not have to starve yourself to lose weight. If you are eating that little, how do you possibly have energy to exercise? You are not gaining fat unless you are going over your calories and exercise or TDEE. You could be damaging your metabolism.

Once again, you do not have to starve yourself. That is not what MFP is about.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    A couple of things jump out at me:

-You need dietary fat to be healthy and function, don't be scared of regular peanut butter.
    -You are probably over-estimating your calories burned- if you are "tiny" you are not burning 500 calories in that workout.
    -Are you weighing your food? 130 calories of cheerios is a fairly small bowl, with the almond milk added I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than you think.

Overall, though- try and relax, figure out a moderate calorie deficit to eat at, weigh your food, and be sure to take rest days.

I plug in my weight in workout machines and I really get in a good hard workout everyday. And I really don't eat much which is why I don't understand how I'm not losing. 130 calories of cheerios is enough for me, it's a one cup serving (100cal) and my almond milk is unsweetened and only 30 calories per cup. I measure it all out. I cut out regular peanut butter because of the high calorie amounts. I am sitting most of the day except for my workouts so I have to maintain a relatively low calorie intake so I'm not gaining.

You should be aware that many gym machines are known to overestimate the calories burned rather badly. If you're eating back your earned exercise calories then you may want to back down to logging only 50-75% of them.

Also, there can be inconsistencies with measuring cups/spoons. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1270280-food-weighing-scale-miracles

This. A combination of overestimating calorie burns and estimating portions are probably causing your lack of weight loss. Invest in a food scale and weigh those Cheerios (in grams, not ounces) along with the rest of the food that you eat.

Are you eating back any of your exercise calories?
  • dreamingofskinny2013
    Options
    You do not have to starve yourself to lose weight. If you are eating that little, how do you possibly have energy to exercise? You are not gaining fat unless you are going over your calories and exercise or TDEE. You could be damaging your metabolism.

I'm definitely not starving myself. I feel full and satisfied when eating this amount. I'm quite sedentary during the day and therefore my calories have to be low so I can lose
  • dreamingofskinny2013
    Options

-You need dietary fat to be healthy and function, don't be scared of regular peanut butter.
    -You are probably over-estimating your calories burned- if you are "tiny" you are not burning 500 calories in that workout.
    -Are you weighing your food? 130 calories of cheerios is a fairly small bowl, with the almond milk added I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than you think.

Overall, though- try and relax, figure out a moderate calorie deficit to eat at, weigh your food, and be sure to take rest days.

I plug in my weight in workout machines and I really get in a good hard workout everyday. And I really don't eat much which is why I don't understand how I'm not losing. 130 calories of cheerios is enough for me, it's a one cup serving (100cal) and my almond milk is unsweetened and only 30 calories per cup. I measure it all out. I cut out regular peanut butter because of the high calorie amounts. I am sitting most of the day except for my workouts so I have to maintain a relatively low calorie intake so I'm not gaining.

You should be aware that many gym machines are known to overestimate the calories burned rather badly. If you're eating back your earned exercise calories then you may want to back down to logging only 50-75% of them.

Also, there can be inconsistencies with measuring cups/spoons. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1270280-food-weighing-scale-miracles

This. A combination of overestimating calorie burns and estimating portions are probably causing your lack of weight loss. Invest in a food scale and weigh those Cheerios (in grams, not ounces) along with the rest of the food that you eat.

I actually do use a food scale for my portions. All the food I eat in one day amounts to about 1200, or a little less. This includes what I eat after I exercise. I burn 450-500 cals through exercise.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    But if you are eating less than 1200 calories and then burning 400 by exercising then you arent eating enough.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options

I'm definitely not starving myself. I feel full and satisfied when eating this amount. I'm quite sedentary during the day and therefore my calories have to be low so I can lose

If you are eating less than you BMR, you are starving yourself. Just because you feel full, does not mean it is healthy. I would research TDEE, BMR and ate least eat back your calories. 1200 is not a magic number for all, it is just the lowest MFP uses.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I actually do use a food scale for my portions. All the food I eat in one day amounts to about 1200, or a little less. This includes what I eat after I exercise. I burn 450-500 cals through exercise.

Except that your exercise burns are inflated if you're using gym machine estimates.

OP, I know you're having a lot of information thrown at you right now, but please try to take a minute to answer some of the questions being asked of you. People really are trying to help you and it's hard to do that without all the information.

Opening your diary could be a big help to those of us trying to figure out what's going on.

If you aren't going to answer our questions, then start here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Read through all of these, and also the linked posts within. Figure out your BMR and TDEE and set reasonable goals.

I would also strongly urge you to consider whether you need to lose more weight or just change your body composition.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For your height/weight 1200 calories might be appropriate for you (hard for anyone here to say for sure) - though it sounds like you could do better at making sure to include healthy fats daily. It also seems that you're overestimating your workout burns. Based on your height/weight, you're going to have a hard time getting big burn #s.

You mention a sedentary activity level outside of your workouts. That could be the key to weight loss for you, in addition to strength training as others have mentioned. Increase your activity to burn more calories throughout the day.

On the other hand, if eating at that level is not working - why not try something different? For 2 weeks eat at 1400. Which is approximately your BMR so you'd still have a slight calorie deficit based on your daily activity & exercise.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm a small person, too, 5'1.5" and between 120-122 lbs., down from 126. When I got around 120, the nutritionist who was in my work program said I probably wouldn't lose anymore because I was doing a lot of strength training and to focus more on losing inches and getting fit. I lost an entire percentage of body fat even though I'm not losing weight. I also lost an inch in my waist and hips; I have a pair of skinny jeans that are getting loose on me even though I weigh the same as when I bought them last summer. I've gotten advice from a few others on this site to also up my protein macros to support more muscle. ( In fact, I'm still having trouble meeting my protein goals.) You might not want to lose, but just get toned. If you're eating at too low a deficit, you will not build muscle, and you'll keep that "flabby" appearance. Also, I net 1200 calories a day; that means that if I exercise, I "eat back" my calories. My diary is open, and you might want to look at Monday, where I ate around 1700 calories because I worked out. (Don't look at Tuesday when I ate out with my husband to celebrate his new job -- but every calorie was worth it -- another lesson -- enjoy life!) Progress is not just about a number on a scale.
  • criminey8
    criminey8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recently struggled with the same problem. I was working out 5 or 6 days a week, at least for an hour, if not 2, and the scale wasn't budging. Over the past two weeks, I've cut out starchy carbs (bread, starchy vegetables, and junk food) and also tried to limit my sugar intake, so overall just eating mostly vegetables, fruits and lean proteins. I have since lost 4 lbs and have also not been working out as much. I would say that I've been netting between 1000 to 1200 calories a day, so as far as calories go it may be on the low side, but I'm finally starting to see the scale move and thats what makes me feel motivated. It worked for me!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Except that your exercise burns are inflated if you're using gym machine estimates.

OP, I know you're having a lot of information thrown at you right now, but please try to take a minute to answer some of the questions being asked of you. People really are trying to help you and it's hard to do that without all the information.

Opening your diary could be a big help to those of us trying to figure out what's going on.

If you aren't going to answer our questions, then start here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

Read through all of these, and also the linked posts within. Figure out your BMR and TDEE and set reasonable goals.

I would also strongly urge you to consider whether you need to lose more weight or just change your body composition.

^^^This, everything you have provided points towards a recomp, not actually losing more weight.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

10-15 minutes of precor
    15 minutes of spin bike.

Step one cut out the slow steady cardio. It is waste of time. I have a article for that if you are wondering. Step 2 resistance training. You can lift weight and not be bulky. That is a women myths. Step 3 what are your macro set at fats, carbs, protein?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I recently struggled with the same problem. I was working out 5 or 6 days a week, at least for an hour, if not 2, and the scale wasn't budging. Over the past two weeks, I've cut out starchy carbs (bread, starchy vegetables, and junk food) and also tried to limit my sugar intake, so overall just eating mostly vegetables, fruits and lean proteins. I have since lost 4 lbs and have also not been working out as much. I would say that I've been netting between 1000 to 1200 calories a day, so as far as calories go it may be on the low side, but I'm finally starting to see the scale move and thats what makes me feel motivated. It worked for me!

Should someone then work out less just to see a lower number on the scale because that's what measures "success"?
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    You're either under-estimating what you are eating or over-estimating your calorie burns during exercise. Or a combination of both.

Buy a scale. Weigh all your food.