Low Carb or No Carb … pros and cons of either?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    was there a point to this post? or where you just looking to waste my time….

The point is you clearly don't know the first thing about proper nutrition even though claim to "know the basics". Not at all...cutting out foods or food groups from your diet is how you fail in the long run.

Really based on what evidence (other than anecdotal).?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Well I'm on here asking for help if you have some knowledge you would like to share please enlighten me. I'm all ears

1. eat the foods you like
    2. create a calore deficit of 500 calories a day
    3 set your macro % to 40 protein, 30 fats, 30 carbs
    4. work out/move more < I prefer heavy lifting with compound movements but find something that you like to do
    5. repeat until you get desired results..

low carb/no carb/no sugar etc has nothing to with weight loss, unless you have some kind of medical condition that would make you sensitive to them.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    1. Set a calorie goal for weight loss

2. Set up proper macronutrient goals (0.82g per lb of body weight for protein. 0.4g per lb of body weight for fat. Remaining calories go to carbs)

3. Eat WHATEVER YOU WANT as long as you don't exceed your calorie goal, and you at least match or exceed your goals for protein and fat.

THE END

Why restrict your fat intake - are you a fat hater (restricting macro groups like fat will lead to failure).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it everyone hahaha probably should have mentioned maybe I meant the simple carbs I should be cutting out all together right? ( white bread, white rice,pasta etc.)

no…
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    1. Set a calorie goal for weight loss

2. Set up proper macronutrient goals (0.82g per lb of body weight for protein. 0.4g per lb of body weight for fat. Remaining calories go to carbs)

3. Eat WHATEVER YOU WANT as long as you don't exceed your calorie goal, and you at least match or exceed your goals for protein and fat.

THE END

As long as it doesn't end up being low carb?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it everyone hahaha probably should have mentioned maybe I meant the simple carbs I should be cutting out all together right? ( white bread, white rice,pasta etc.)

Yes^^^^^

This ^^^^^^^

Edited for correct response.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Some people have health reasons that prompt them to go low carb. I was one of these people. My addiction to simple carbohydrates was making me sick. It seems some people on these forums care more about weight loss than general health. If you really want to consider cutting out an entire food group, talking to a nutritionist or even better, a dietitian is probably a much better idea than strangers on the internet.

If you want to get healthier, you should eat less refined sugar (Really are people saying sugar is just fine?) A diet of pizza, bagels, ice cream etc. if eaten in low enough quantities will certainly work for weight loss, but you won't be any healthier. Of course people don't care much for their health until they don't have it so I know that caring about health falls on deaf ears. This is why I rarely post here. I get chewed up for suggesting that you might not drop dead from eating low carb.

So what is your ultimate goal? Just to look thinner and more healthy or to actually BE more healthy? If you want to improve your health, pay more attention to the nutrition you are getting from your food. You will find that many simple carbs are nutrient sparse in comparison to the carbs you will get from fruits and veggies. I eat somewhat low carb but not very low. I still love me some potatoes (nutrient dense, carb rich and delicious) and white rice. I have a gluten intolerance so I avoid a lot of the "whole grains". If you can eat them without a problem, there is no reason not to incorporate them into your daily calories. But you will find yourself VERY hungry if all you eat is pasta and bread. For a restricted calorie diet, it just won't be as much food most of the time.

(Before I get the eyerolls, YES, I have been diagnosed as gluten intolerant. I also had high blood pressure before cutting out many of the carbs and sugar. Those problems are gone now. My energy is higher than ever and I find myself more full on healthy fats and proteins with lots and lots of veggies. This is my advice. You can be VERY healthy without those things in your diet although without being properly educated on how to adjust for the change, you won't do very well for very long.)

*raises hand* < eats bagels, ice cream, pizza, etc and am in best shape of my life, have excellent blood work, and am at about 11-12% body fat….
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Well I'm on here asking for help if you have some knowledge you would like to share please enlighten me. I'm all ears

I think how many carbs each person consumes varies from one to another. I'm in my fifties and have to eat less carbs than most people or I can't lose an ounce. I've finally come to learn and accept that to lose weight and then maintain I can't eat as many carbs. I think you find out what works for you through trial and error. If you can eat fewer carbs AND be happy, give it a try. What do you have to lose other than weight?

Good Luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    "Trigger food" = giving yourself an excuse for losing control. I have many foods that tempt me. "Trigger foods?" The word "trigger" is just a new bit of psychobabble people use to rationalize their behavior and feel better about themselves.

Or the alternate definition sans the condescension and sans the veiled ad hominum cat swipe: Trigger Food = Foods that are subjectively delicious and calorically dense that create a VERY STRONG desire to consume same in an excessive manner, hence making weight loss regiments MUCH MORE DIFFICULT to maintain.

Blame it on my cognitive-behavioral background, but I prefer honesty. Trigger foods are just foods that people like to eat, strongly desire, and choose not to rein in their desire for those foods. I've seen the same term, "trigger," used in Facebook threads that show graphic images and discuss controversial subjects ("caution, these images/descriptions may act as a trigger."). Why not just say "these images/descriptions are graphic" and allow people to decide for themselves how they will behave? In my experience, if you give someone an excuse to get upset/eat more, i.e. a "trigger," then that person will grab onto that excuse and behave as predicted (self-fulfilling prophecy).
  • JesChernosky
    JesChernosky Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a problem processing carbs. However, I was told by my doctor years ago that cutting out all carbs is the quickest way to fall off the wagon. Not all carbs are bad for you and since carbs and sugars are also in fruits and vegetables it's really impossible to cut out ALL carbs. She explained to me that if I watch my intake and try to keep it lower I would loose weight and feel better. It worked for a long time, I lost over 30 pounds in less than 6 months, which is great for my body. I did fall off the wagon, big time, but I am working on that again.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of "calories in, calories burned" types of replies.

Personally, I cut out foods with either refined carbs or added sugar, as I found I was hungry soon after eating these foods. I do, however, still get about 50% of my calories from carbs, coming from whole grains, fruits, vegs & beans. The difference for me is the higher fiber content of these foods, helping me to stay full longer, so that I don't get hungry ... thereby staying at/under my calorie goals.

yes! this is what I meant by my previous post but I guess I just didn't properly word what I was trying to say and what was kind of backed into a corner with my avoiding carbs statement I just meant cutting out simple carbs and processed . just wanted a confirmation that this type of diet/ lifestyle change was the way to go in terms of helping me achieve lasting results

If you can do it forever, go for it. But is absolutely unnecessary.

So is counting calories, weighing and logging food for every mouthful or having to restrict portion size - just saying.

But if that's what works for you do it.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    so Instead of ridiculing me with pointless a meme why not share some info that may be beneficial? I'm on this forum because I'm trying to learn if you have some advice you would like to share I'm ready to listen. I don't have the time for condescending remarks, comments or memes

Ignore the nasties. They are literally everywhere here & will suck the very soul from your dead body.

I'm not joking.... avoid.

Kinda sad that your only advice was to "ignore the nasties" yet offered no help for her diet. At least those "nasties" offered her good advice.

Besides, everyone knows "nasties" do not eat souls - not enough carbs!! /end sarcasm
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm all about a ketogenic lifestyle based on unprocessed foods (because that's what MY health issues require). But, there is no such thing as a NO CARB diet; nor should there be. Even an egg has a gram of carbs. There is no need to avoid vegetables, especially low starch and low sugar ones. Carbs from veggies are a WIN even for those of us eating only 5-10% calories from carbohydrates.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I'm all about a ketogenic lifestyle based on unprocessed foods (because that's what MY health issues require). But, there is no such thing as a NO CARB diet; nor should there be. Even an egg has a gram of carbs. There is no need to avoid vegetables, especially low starch and low sugar ones. Carbs from veggies are a WIN even for those of us eating only 5-10% calories from carbohydrates.

QFT
  • rringer1
    rringer1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Low carb and no carb diets, such as Paleo, and Primal. Damaged my kidneys and sent my uric acid levels through the roof. I am now up to 250 lbs. Yo Yo central. I find eattinga a nice balance diet is working very well for me. My doctor told me don't through a bounder in the pond. There is a lot going on in your body when you put a piece of food in your mouth.

Measure your food, record your data, exercise and make small adjustments as you go.

Rich
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Low carb and no carb diets, such as Paleo, and Primal. Damaged my kidneys and sent my uric acid levels through the roof. I am now up to 250 lbs. Yo Yo central. I find eattinga a nice balance diet is working very well for me. My doctor told me don't through a bounder in the pond. There is a lot going on in your body when you put a piece of food in your mouth.

Measure your food, record your data, exercise and make small adjustments as you go.

Rich

Sorry to hear about your kidneys.

Not sure how eating primal (correctly) would screw your kidneys up, it's not a high protein diet and only excludes certain food groups, which would not result in an increased risk of kidney damage.

Would be interested to hear more and getter a better understanding.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    *ugh*

"Trigger food."

NO.

You're lucky you don't have to deal with it. How nice for you!

"Trigger food" = giving yourself an excuse for losing control. I have many foods that tempt me. "Trigger foods?" The word "trigger" is just a new bit of psychobabble people use to rationalize their behavior and feel better about themselves.

Thank you for your opinion. It's so constructive.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    *ugh*

"Trigger food."

NO.

Lol
  • healthnewlife
    Options
    low carb high fat (keto) was great for me. except i did not have cheese or meat. i ate tons of nuts avocado coconut oil fish and eggs
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    *ugh*

"Trigger food."

NO.

You're welcome. It really is, if it helps you avoid a trap associated with eating. :wink: Should I have substituted "buzz word" for "psychobabble?"