Low Carb or No Carb … pros and cons of either?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of "calories in, calories burned" types of replies.

Personally, I cut out foods with either refined carbs or added sugar, as I found I was hungry soon after eating these foods. I do, however, still get about 50% of my calories from carbs, coming from whole grains, fruits, vegs & beans. The difference for me is the higher fiber content of these foods, helping me to stay full longer, so that I don't get hungry ... thereby staying at/under my calorie goals.

yes! this is what I meant by my previous post but I guess I just didn't properly word what I was trying to say and what was kind of backed into a corner with my avoiding carbs statement I just meant cutting out simple carbs and processed . just wanted a confirmation that this type of diet/ lifestyle change was the way to go in terms of helping me achieve lasting results

If you can do it forever, go for it. But is absolutely unnecessary.

So is counting calories, weighing and logging food for every mouthful or having to restrict portion size - just saying.

But if that's what works for you do it.

Depends on your goals.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    1. Set a calorie goal for weight loss

2. Set up proper macronutrient goals (0.82g per lb of body weight for protein. 0.4g per lb of body weight for fat. Remaining calories go to carbs)

3. Eat WHATEVER YOU WANT as long as you don't exceed your calorie goal, and you at least match or exceed your goals for protein and fat.

THE END

Why restrict your fat intake - are you a fat hater (restricting macro groups like fat will lead to failure).

Those would be the suggested minimums for protein and fat. It was never said to avoid adding any additional grams of fat.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    OP, here is a blog post by MFP staff, it lists some low carb suggestions:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/05/20-low-carb-substitutions-that-taste-great/
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

2. Set up proper macronutrient goals (0.82g per lb of body weight for protein. 0.4g per lb of body weight for fat. Remaining calories go to carbs)

3. Eat WHATEVER YOU WANT as long as you don't exceed your calorie goal, and you at least match or exceed your goals for protein and fat.

THE END

Why restrict your fat intake - are you a fat hater (restricting macro groups like fat will lead to failure).

Those would be the suggested minimums for protein and fat. It was never said to avoid adding any additional grams of fat.

Why is fat set so low - even if it is a guidance - seems very restrictive.

As dietary fat is an essential macro nutrient I would personally give it priority, closely followed by protein the other one of the two essential macro nutrients for human health and survival.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    72g fat for a 180 lb male is low? As a minimum?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    my fat is set at 30% which equates to about 75 grams a day …..
  • LolBroScience
    Options

THE END

As dietary fat is an essential macro nutrient I would personally give it priority, closely followed by protein the other one of the two essential macro nutrients for human health and survival.

I forgot... you get extra credit once you surpass the daily minimums.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

THE END

:laugh:
  • ndj1979
    Options

THE END

do I get extra gainz too?????
  • crissi725
    crissi725 Posts: 82
    Options
    I'm very disappointed in how some people are just being jerks. Just share your information. Don't be holier-than-thou.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Who's being a jerk?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm very disappointed in how some people are just being jerks. Just share your information. Don't be holier-than-thou.

examples are always helpful…
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    no carbs?? how else will i fuel my nine mile runs??
  • traceybarbour
    traceybarbour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    For me when I went low carbs it was a quick weight lose that first week (pro for me seeing results quickly) well at least Thats what I thought ..
    The Con was is isnt a logical way to eat..I comes back rocket fast when you add the carbs back.
    The final result was just eat a balanced diet , portion control, eat something if you "just have to have it" but be accountable.
    Good luck !
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Is the op doing a Nine mile run?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

i really didn't read anything besides the title of the thread.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

i really didn't read anything besides the title of the thread.

Lol, well if you are working on percentages of carbs as opposed to grams you could comfortably fuel a nine mile run on low carb, but if you are not of the low carb persuasion then no need to worry about that.
  • jasati
    jasati Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi All

Recommend reading "The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Jeff S. Volek PhD RD & Stephen D. Phinney MD PhD. They have also co-authored "The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance". The first book is directed at health professionals but is very readable for the layman. The second book is directed more at performance athletes/coaches and again is very readable. Many of the questions and points raised on this topic are are covered in well researched detail.
    Hope the information is helpful. Kind regards to all.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Hi All

Recommend reading "The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Jeff S. Volek PhD RD & Stephen D. Phinney MD PhD. They have also co-authored "The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance". The first book is directed at health professionals but is very readable for the layman. The second book is directed more at performance athletes/coaches and again is very readable. Many of the questions and points raised on this topic are are covered in well researched detail.
    Hope the information is helpful. Kind regards to all.

I would add another source for endurance sports on low carb - Tim Noakes.
  • TheyCallMeShy
    TheyCallMeShy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A low carb diet is not the way to go. Carbohydrates is your primary source of energy if you have low carbs or no carbs, your energy levels will be low therefore it will make it extremely hard for you to work out. Even though this method is effective, it is not effective for the long run. This means by going a carb diet you will be able to sustain the diet for a short amount of time, however soon you will start to crave food and go on a binge causing you to put the weight you lost right back on. I am currently on my weight loss journey being 18 and have so far lost 8 pounds in about a month and bit. As long and you eat right and work out you will lose weight low carb or no carb diets are not the way forward!