Foods aren't unhealthy, diets are.

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Those of you arguing the less than stellar nutritional value of "junk food And why they aren't good options because bang for buck they offer little "nutrionally" but are yet very high in calories.

I guess none of you have come home with over 1000 calories to eat- exhausted and you MUST eat... clearly eating another 3 chicken breasts and bags of steamable veggies is the answer.

or you could just crumble up those highly processed delicious nuggets called oreo's on top of your favorite ice cream and a tall glass of milk- and relax, enjoy your favorite short episode of Futurama and know that you'll be safe on your quest for bulking.

Personally I don't believe in eating just to hit a calorie goal, so there's no such thing as MUST eat; therefore that wouldn't be an issue for me - I'd just make up some food to eat if I was hungry and be done with it. I'm not going to stuff myself full of junk food just for the sake of ingesting a crap ton of calories - that kind of eating is what led to problems in the first place, as well as not eating when actually hungry, but for other reasons.

Just depends on what you're trying to accomplish in your life I guess, but personally I'd be quite fine coming home with 1000 calories left and just eating some chicken and veggies and calling it a night with a bigger than usual deficit.

If you have certain fitness goals, leaving 1000 calories at the end of the day could be a detriment to those goals, especially bulking for weight lifting.

Bulking, sure. Weightlifting, nope. More people need to suck it up and stop being a nancy. You don't NEED to be on a sugar rush to lift. At least I don't.

I said bulking for weightlifting. No one even mentioned sugar. I routinely eat 1500 calories at dinner and it's mostly meat, a starch, veggies, a beer/wine and then a dessert.

Also, what's the context for 'sucking it up and stopping being a nancy'? It made no sense.

Quite often people on these forums use lifting as an excuse to eat a ton of carbs and sugar the night before or the day they lift. I find it ridiculous. I've had many days where I ended with several hundred extra calories uneaten, on a 2lb sedentary deficit. Still managed to get off my rear and get 'er done that next day.

A lot of those people are within their goal weights. They aren't carrying around dozens of extra pounds of stored energy to help them get through a workout if they eat a bit less the day before. If I don't eat my 2100 or more a day, if I was 1000 under and 'sucked it up", I wouldn't lift as well and I wouldn't run as well the next day. Maybe you can comment on this again once you get to your goal weight and are lifting at high weights. At the moment, your personal experience isn't applicable to a lot of lifters on this site.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Those of you arguing the less than stellar nutritional value of "junk food And why they aren't good options because bang for buck they offer little "nutrionally" but are yet very high in calories.

I guess none of you have come home with over 1000 calories to eat- exhausted and you MUST eat... clearly eating another 3 chicken breasts and bags of steamable veggies is the answer.

or you could just crumble up those highly processed delicious nuggets called oreo's on top of your favorite ice cream and a tall glass of milk- and relax, enjoy your favorite short episode of Futurama and know that you'll be safe on your quest for bulking.

Personally I don't believe in eating just to hit a calorie goal, so there's no such thing as MUST eat; therefore that wouldn't be an issue for me - I'd just make up some food to eat if I was hungry and be done with it. I'm not going to stuff myself full of junk food just for the sake of ingesting a crap ton of calories - that kind of eating is what led to problems in the first place, as well as not eating when actually hungry, but for other reasons.

Just depends on what you're trying to accomplish in your life I guess, but personally I'd be quite fine coming home with 1000 calories left and just eating some chicken and veggies and calling it a night with a bigger than usual deficit.

If you have certain fitness goals, leaving 1000 calories at the end of the day could be a detriment to those goals, especially bulking for weight lifting.

-shrugs- I don't know much about bulking but I did say in my post that it depends on what you're trying to accomplish in your life. But since this is predominantly a weight loss forum I don't think bulking/weight gain anecdotes will be all that persuasive for most people, particularly when the anecdote was about people preferring healthy foods over a giant sundae. Sure, eating a crap ton of calories quickly may work for someone trying to gain weight, but for people trying to lose weight, that's hardly something they're going to be interested in.

It's called myfitnesspal, not my weightloss pal. There's an entire forum dedicated to gaining and one for maintaining. I lost all my weight already and it is something that interests me and many others. But to address the sundae issue, it's just fine as long as all the micros have been met and it will fit within the remaining macro goals. You don't get bonus points for going over your micros, the body just eliminates what it can't use.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yes there is - chilli! (No kidney beans though - ewwwww yuk)

No need for chili. Sorry, that's a "want." Try again. :laugh:

No for me the meat (protein and fat) I get from the chilli is a need, the calorie return I get for the nutritional value (I don't drain all of the fat) makes it optimal.

I understand the point you are trying to make and if I were on your side of the argument I would make the same point.

So maybe need is the wrong choice of word.

Maybe the distinction should be want (for my normal daily go to food) and occasionally crave (for junk food - although I do not crave it that often, but when I do I have some).

Yes, maybe you should buy a dictionary. Or upload one if you have a smart phone. You could use it. :wink: :laugh:

Wow great response.

You must have been head of your debating team at school.

There was no "head" of our team. We each had partners. I did letter in varsity debate two years, 1989 and 1990. :bigsmile:

And I will tell you that teams could *lose* a debate by if they used a poor definition of a key term. Webster's was not considered a reliable dictionary. :wink:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

No for me the meat (protein and fat) I get from the chilli is a need, the calorie return I get for the nutritional value (I don't drain all of the fat) makes it optimal.

I understand the point you are trying to make and if I were on your side of the argument I would make the same point.

Maybe the distinction should be want (for my normal daily go to food) and occasionally crave (for junk food - although I do not crave it that often, but when I do I have some).

Yes, maybe you should buy a dictionary. Or upload one if you have a smart phone. You could use it. :wink: :laugh:

Wow great response.

There was no "head" of our team. We each had partners. I did letter in varsity debate two years, 1989 and 1990. :bigsmile:

And I will tell you that teams could *lose* a debate by if they used a poor definition of a key term. Webster's was not considered a reliable dictionary. :wink:

Websters?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

So true. Most people on this site have a particular goal, and they adjust calories and macro ratios to achieve those goals.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Wow great response.

Websters?

As seen here:

www.merriam-webster.com

Or

dictionary.reference.com

or similar

Use of Webster's, and other vernacular dictionaries, was not considered acceptable if it was a key term. In fact, definitions were always addressed in the beginning. If the opponent disputes the definition, then both teams must find the better source. If a definition was not disputed in the first cross-examination, or in the first rebuttal, then it meant you agreed to the definitions.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Wow great response.

Websters?

As seen here:

www.merriam-webster.com

Or

dictionary.reference.com

or similar

Use of Webster's, and other vernacular dictionaries, was not considered acceptable if it was a key term. In fact, definitions were always addressed in the beginning. If the opponent disputes the definition, then both teams must find the better source. If a definition was not disputed in the first cross-examination, or in the first rebuttal, then it meant you agreed to the definitions.

:smile:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

So true. Most people on this site have a particular goal, and they adjust calories and macro ratios to achieve those goals.

This. I see it all the time and 1000 calories is not a piddly amount. 100, I can understand from time to time but 1000...
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Bump because I really liked it.