Foods aren't unhealthy, diets are.

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why are you suggesting that people are using food as a replacement for some emotional need?
    And what do you think is happening when people use terms like "healthy relationship with food", "food shaming", and "demonizing of food"?

^^^ Honesty?

(That'd be my guess)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    It certainly wouldn't be optimal but it is possible to build muscle on a low carb or keto diet.

I agree some level of carbs (based on individuals goals) is optimal, but for survival not essential.

Some level of carbs would include the micro-nutrient rich foods known as vegetables and fruits! Avoiding those makes it difficult to have a healthy diet.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Junk food is usually very calorie dense and can easily overtake the bulk of your daily calories if your not careful though. Seriously who only eats 1/2 cup of icecream? Or a measley 1 oz of chips. Want a slice of cheesecake? Easily 700 calories and up lol

I have one serving of ice cream nightly and it satisfies me just fine …

its called teaching yourself moderation and combining it with an overall approach that leads to better health and nutrition...
    I concur! I was just thinking how most of the foods deemed unhealthy offer high calories for small portion sizes and if someone isn't careful the unhealthy foods can easily make up most of someone's diet. But I agree with the OP a little treats here and there aren't going to derail someone's overall diet

Let's not forget to look at the other side of the coin. Someone bulking or competing in an endurance sport might view those calories dense options as a necessity.
    Indeed. There's a good reason, beyond simple economics, that some triathlons are sponsored by chocolate milk.

Or when you watch the Tour of California cycling event on TV....the cyclist drink cans of Coke and Sprite on the uphill slow portions to "refuel". In that instance, soda is "healthy".

That's debatable.

The soda fuels the athletes body to complete the race, which in itself is probably detrimental the that athletes health.

Extreme example, but ultra fitness in elite athletes is generally attained by a cost in their overall health.

Not sure how that soda will be detrimental to their health....
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Well said OP, people serious about weight loss and developing a healthy / maintainable lifestyle for life should hold onto this post.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Junk food is usually very calorie dense and can easily overtake the bulk of your daily calories if your not careful though. Seriously who only eats 1/2 cup of icecream? Or a measley 1 oz of chips. Want a slice of cheesecake? Easily 700 calories and up lol

"Junk food" is a made-up term.

Food = protein, fats, carbohydrates

All terms are made up! It's whether they are popularised and taken up as acceptable and well used terms in our daily vocabulary, which Junk Food is.

Ask most westernised people if they have heard of the term and I should think a majority have.

The term Junk Food is even Alan Aragon Approved.

It is not WendyTerry420 approved.

Dwight-Schrute-Shakes-Head-and-Rolls-Eyes.gif

It's a meaningless term.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    It certainly wouldn't be optimal but it is possible to build muscle on a low carb or keto diet.

I agree some level of carbs (based on individuals goals) is optimal, but for survival not essential.

Some level of carbs would include the micro-nutrient rich foods known as vegetables and fruits! Avoiding those makes it difficult to have a healthy diet.

Agreed, I'm not a no carb advocate, I eat about 50g - 150g of carbs. Depending on what fitness I am doing any one day.

I'm not saying no carbs would give someone optimal health, but they could survive quite well and build muscle.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I tend to weigh versus measure. But half of cup of the Talenti Double Chocolate Gelato I had is 101g.

I had 114g.

So pretty close to just half a cup. The point is...it can be done and something I do if I want my "junk" and have it fit with my goals.

Also, last week, I had Omaha's cheesecake. One of the slices was 350cals. It wasn't a "huge" slice, but I was still able to have it and be fine.
    wow I wish I had your willpower when it comes to icecream lol. You must not be a huge icecreamaholic like me lol. I find it easy to ration out foods I'm not so crazy about but icecream not so much.

Umm...what?

I've been overweight since the 5th grade and morbidly obese since High School. I'm 31 years old and my highest weight was 245lbs at 5'1. I also have huge issues with food. I am an overeater that also eats when bored, stressed, or feeling emotional. And I don't mean overeating like I just unbuttoned my pants and pat my belly and say "Oh yeah." I mean the type where I keep on eating and eating until I end up in so much pain or/and sick to the point of nausea type of overeating.

So it's not like I had this huge abundance of willpower. But I learned that the more I did make conscious choices and educated myself in regards to calories in/calories out and such...I got more and more control over my habits and food. I'm not perfect but I've found it like a muscle. The more you use it/practice it..the better you get at it.

TL;DR: You can have willpower if you want to.
    You say all that but I'm still impressed lol. I'm still working on being satisfied with 1/2 cup lol.

FWIW...

I eat a whole cup of ice cream, sometimes a cup and a half, and often I add peanuts to it and/or flavored syrup. You don't *have* to stick to 1/2 cup, just make it fit.

Sometimes I have logged my dessert first, then see what I need to eat through the day to make it work.

Same...especially now that I'm recently back at maintenance. I usually figure out my macros/micros first and then calculate how much ice cream that leaves me at the end of the day. With my higher-than-in-the-winter activity level, it's usually a substantial amount (to the point that I'll add another "meal" because even I have limits on how much ice cream I should be eating every night).
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

All terms are made up! It's whether they are popularised and taken up as acceptable and well used terms in our daily vocabulary, which Junk Food is.

Ask most westernised people if they have heard of the term and I should think a majority have.

It's a meaningless term.

It means a lot of things to a lot of people.

I appreciate it is not WendyTerry approved and I will aim to keep my use of the term to a minimum when you are present. lol:smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

It's a meaningless term.

I appreciate it is not WendyTerry approved and I will aim to keep my use of the term to a minimum when you are present. lol:smile:

It's an oxymoron. If it's food, then it isn't junk. If it's junk, then it isn't food.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I have one serving of ice cream nightly and it satisfies me just fine …

its called teaching yourself moderation and combining it with an overall approach that leads to better health and nutrition...
    I concur! I was just thinking how most of the foods deemed unhealthy offer high calories for small portion sizes and if someone isn't careful the unhealthy foods can easily make up most of someone's diet. But I agree with the OP a little treats here and there aren't going to derail someone's overall diet

Let's not forget to look at the other side of the coin. Someone bulking or competing in an endurance sport might view those calories dense options as a necessity.
    Indeed. There's a good reason, beyond simple economics, that some triathlons are sponsored by chocolate milk.

Or when you watch the Tour of California cycling event on TV....the cyclist drink cans of Coke and Sprite on the uphill slow portions to "refuel". In that instance, soda is "healthy".

That's debatable.

The soda fuels the athletes body to complete the race, which in itself is probably detrimental the that athletes health.

Extreme example, but ultra fitness in elite athletes is generally attained by a cost in their overall health.

Not sure how that soda will be detrimental to their health....

The bit bolded above - actually participating in the race and likely the chronic training leading up to the race - also fuelled by soda's.

Plus excessive sugar in an athletes diet (whilst being used by them for fuelling and not stored, it will still have more inflammatory effects on the body than a standard healthy diet).

I'm not saying people shouldn't do this - each to their own. I've damaged my overall health by 23 years of martial arts and I probably wouldn't change a thing - I'm just making an observation on your health comment of a cyclist drinking the soda - I just wouldn't tag the word it with the word health.

If people want soda's I've no beef with that.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

It's a meaningless term.

It's an oxymoron. If it's food, then it isn't junk. If it's junk, then it isn't food.

There are lots of words and terms which over the years have evolved from meaning one thing into meaning another - this is one of those terms.

You disagree and that's your right to do so.

We may in this instance have to draw a line under it and agree to disagree - I'm cool with that.

:smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Carbs aren't bad - they're just not essential.

They are nice and have a place in a healthy diet IMO
    On a diet high in carbs yes the Brain will function on about 130g of glucose.

On a diet low in carbs the brain will run just as efficiently on less than a quarter of that amount.

Plus the body can cater for that quantity without dietary carbs.

you either need them or you don't.

Stop back pedaling or using words you don't understand.

Carbs are not evil- they are essential for human life- they are essential for building muscle.

It is not a MICRO nutrient- it's a MACRO- you only have 3 of them to chose to fill your diet. you cannot just live (for very long anyway) on fat and protein with 0 carbs. it's not possible healthy or feasible.
    There are lots of words and terms which over the years have evolved from meaning one thing into meaning another - this is one of those terms.

you seem to lack a grasp of the fundamentals of how words work- so I'm going to opt out of trusting you on the evolution of words. Sorry.

not sorry.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Just for clarity:

junk food
    noun
    food that has low nutritional value, typically produced in the form of packaged snacks needing little or no preparation.

is is an accepted term.

From merriam webster:
    junk food noun
    : food that is not good for your health because it contains high amounts of fat or sugar

Full Definition of JUNK FOOD

: food that is high in calories but low in nutritional content
    : something that is appealing or enjoyable but of little or no real value <video junk food>

ETA:

Curious.. isn't Keto 0 carbs?? or nearly 0 carbs?? And aren't there people who are healthy that have been doing keto for extended periods?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Carbs aren't bad - they're just not essential.

They are nice and have a place in a healthy diet IMO
    On a diet high in carbs yes the Brain will function on about 130g of glucose.

On a diet low in carbs the brain will run just as efficiently on less than a quarter of that amount.

Plus the body can cater for that quantity without dietary carbs.

you either need them or you don't.

Stop back pedaling or using words you don't understand.

Carbs are not evil- they are essential for human life- they are essential for building muscle.

It is not a MICRO nutrient- it's a MACRO- you only have 3 of them to chose to fill your diet. you cannot just live (for very long anyway) on fat and protein with 0 carbs. it's not possible healthy or feasible.

you seem to lack a grasp of the fundamentals of how words work- so I'm going to opt out of trusting you on the evolution of words. Sorry.

not sorry.

Nope not essential - the word you are looking for is optimal.

You are right carbs aren't evil and I incorporate and sufficient amount of them into my diet.

Maybe it is you who needs to do a bit of understanding. If carbs are available the brain will use them, if carbs are limited the brain will limit its amount and run on a mixture of glucose and ketones.

Not sure at which point I am back pedalling as I've never had an anti carb stance! The are not essential, but I do like them.

Additionally, you can live on zero DIETARY carbs. Your health may not be as optimal as when eating carbs, but the body will cope effectively.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

ETA:

Curious.. isn't Keto 0 carbs?? or nearly 0 carbs?? And aren't there people who are healthy that have been doing keto for extended periods?

no- low calorie diets are defined as 20% or less of your diet's being carbs.

Ketosis itself has no fixed number (meaning its different for every person)- but generally below 40/50 grams is the rule.

The lowest I ever got doing a carb deplete was 12/15 grams- and I was trying to get below that and couldn't. (severally restricted my greens intake as well for this)
    Not sure at which point I am back pedalling as I've never had an anti carb stance! The are not essential, but I do like them.

essential:
    4. Biochemistry Being a substance that is required for normal functioning but cannot be synthesized by the body and therefore must be included in the diet: essential amino acids.

first they are not essential- then it's okay if they are only "certain types"

you MUST have carbs in your life- one way or the other- you just prefer you'rs from green leafy things. They are still required and essential- it's a macro nutrient.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

ETA:

Ketosis itself has no fixed number (meaning its different for every person)- but generally below 40/50 grams is the rule.

The lowest I ever got doing a carb deplete was 12/15 grams- and I was trying to get below that and couldn't.

Breaking news JoRocka,

When you are doing keto - your brain is not using 130g of glucose! It will probably only be using about 30g and the rest ketones (and if available lactose).
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

ETA:

The lowest I ever got doing a carb deplete was 12/15 grams- and I was trying to get below that and couldn't. (severally restricted my greens intake as well for this)

essential:
    4. Biochemistry Being a substance that is required for normal functioning but cannot be synthesized by the body and therefore must be included in the diet: essential amino acids.

first they are not essential- then it's okay if they are only "certain types"

you MUST have carbs in your life- one way or the other- you just prefer you'rs from green leafy things. They are still required and essential- it's a macro nutrient.

You only eat carbs for glucose - your body makes it's own glycogen.

Dietary carbs are optimal - not essential.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Since we are throwing out definitions....

Macronutrient = : a substance (as protein or carbohydrate) essential in large amounts to the growth and health of an animal — compare
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Just for clarity:

junk food
    noun
    food that has low nutritional value, typically produced in the form of packaged snacks needing little or no preparation.

is is an accepted term.

From merriam webster:
    junk food noun
    : food that is not good for your health because it contains high amounts of fat or sugar

Full Definition of JUNK FOOD

: food that is high in calories but low in nutritional content
    : something that is appealing or enjoyable but of little or no real value <video junk food>

ETA:

OK-GIFS.gif

Yes, I always look to Webster's for nutrition info.

I'll bet you can also find definitions for military intelligence and Great Depression as well. :wink: