Foods aren't unhealthy, diets are.

Options

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    That's a real circlejerk argument. Obviously a diet consisting of nothing but a few items isn't good for you, but arguing that positive food choices made are irrelevant is plain stupid, processed foods down the line cause health issues and packing in a couple beers and boxes of candy on top of a decent diet makes it a good diet all together just doesn't work. If you eat pizza and other crap all day your body will function on that level.

Circlejerks contribute to my daily protein goal. Just sayin'

Another nutrition myth. It would contribute to your carbohydrate goals.:smokin:
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    That's a real circlejerk argument. Obviously a diet consisting of nothing but a few items isn't good for you, but arguing that positive food choices made are irrelevant is plain stupid, processed foods down the line cause health issues and packing in a couple beers and boxes of candy on top of a decent diet makes it a good diet all together just doesn't work. If you eat pizza and other crap all day your body will function on that level.

Shhh, no. Carbs are bad, mmmkay?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see a simple and rational approach to food.

Thank you.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Carbs aren't bad - they're just not essential.

They are nice and have a place in a healthy diet IMO
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I've never heard that carbs aren't essential. Doesn't the brain almost exclusively function on carbs along with them being a part of an extensive number of other biological functions?
  • MelonJMusic
    MelonJMusic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I can't really say much on this topic that hasn't already been said by either side, but I will say that I've only been a member of this community for a month, and already I find these postings so helpful simply because I am absolutely sick of hearing about them, and hearing about them yet again makes me want to puke, which keeps me from eating anything. Thanks, guys!

d0cd61b07a834612edecd14797c1976a.gif

:laugh:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I've never heard that carbs aren't essential. Doesn't the brain almost exclusively function on carbs along with them being a part of an extensive number of other biological functions?

On a diet high in carbs yes the Brain will function on about 130g of glucose.

On a diet low in carbs the brain will run just as efficiently on less than a quarter of that amount.

Plus the body can cater for that quantity without dietary carbs.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

This. Every cell in the body uses glucose.

80170837-f155-4766-a47a-1e0e3dba0715_zpsc027779d.jpg
    Human Cell Metabolism 101:

"In most animal cells, adenosine triphosphate (ATP), a compound with high potential energy, works as the main carrier of chemical energy. In general, the energy to synthesize ATP molecules must be obtained from rather complex fuel molecules. The human body uses three types of molecules to yield the necessary energy to drive ATP synthesis: fats, proteins, and carbohydrates.

Mitochondria are the main site for ATP synthesis in mammals, although some ATP is also synthesized in the cytoplasm. Lipids are broken down into fatty acids, proteins into amino acids, and carbohydrates into glucose. Via a series of oxidation-reduction reactions, mitochondria degrade fatty acids, amino acids, and pyruvate (the end product of glucose degradation in the cytoplasm) into several intermediate compounds, as well as into the reduced electron carrier coenzymes NADH and FADH2 (Figure 1). The intermediates enter the tricarboxylic acid (TCA) cycle, also giving rise to NADH and FADH2. These reduced electron carriers are themselves oxidized via the electron transport chain, with concomitant consumption of oxygen and ATP synthesis (Figure 1). This process is called oxidative phosphorylation.

Over a hundred ATP molecules are synthesized from the complete oxidation of one molecule of fatty acid, and almost forty ATP molecules result from amino acid and pyruvate oxidation. Two ATP molecules are synthesized in the cytoplasm via the conversion of glucose molecules to pyruvate. Both the apparatus (enzymes) and the physical environment necessary for the oxidation of these molecules are contained in the mitochondria."

From: http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/dynamic-adaptation-of-nutrient-utilization-in-humans-14232807#
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

No. The human body does not need to consume any carbohydrates at all. We can use carbs but only fat & protein are really needed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in….because this is gonna be good!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

"In most animal cells, adenosine triphosphate (ATP), a compound with high potential energy, works as the main carrier of chemical energy. In general, the energy to synthesize ATP molecules must be obtained from rather complex fuel molecules. The human body uses three types of molecules to yield the necessary energy to drive ATP synthesis: fats, proteins, and carbohydrates.

Mitochondria are the main site for ATP synthesis in mammals, although some ATP is also synthesized in the cytoplasm. Lipids are broken down into fatty acids, proteins into amino acids, and carbohydrates into glucose. Via a series of oxidation-reduction reactions, mitochondria degrade fatty acids, amino acids, and pyruvate (the end product of glucose degradation in the cytoplasm) into several intermediate compounds, as well as into the reduced electron carrier coenzymes NADH and FADH2 (Figure 1). The intermediates enter the tricarboxylic acid (TCA) cycle, also giving rise to NADH and FADH2. These reduced electron carriers are themselves oxidized via the electron transport chain, with concomitant consumption of oxygen and ATP synthesis (Figure 1). This process is called oxidative phosphorylation.

Over a hundred ATP molecules are synthesized from the complete oxidation of one molecule of fatty acid, and almost forty ATP molecules result from amino acid and pyruvate oxidation. Two ATP molecules are synthesized in the cytoplasm via the conversion of glucose molecules to pyruvate. Both the apparatus (enzymes) and the physical environment necessary for the oxidation of these molecules are contained in the mitochondria."

From: http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/dynamic-adaptation-of-nutrient-utilization-in-humans-14232807#

Yep this is where glucose is used and again we are self sufficient all if this can be done without dietary carbs.

That being said carbs do have a place in a healthy diet. 50 - 150 grams of carbs (main source veg) will deliver all of the micro nutrients we can get through carbs - depending on the carb source the grams may not even need to be as high as 50g
  • ndj1979
    Options

who is saying that it is OK to eat pizza all day and makes the claim that it is OK to do that..?

did you even read what OP said …it is the sum of the parts that make the diet of a whole..so if you have a day of eggs, whole grain toast, whole wheat bread and turkey, cottage cheese, and then some pizza and a beer for night that means that your whole day is "crap" and that your performance is going to suffer..????

I eat the things that you labeled as 'crap' and maintain about 11-12 % body fat and have not had my gym performance suffer….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Can we get this stickied?

Why?( Edited wrong choice of word)

Sorry strokingdiction - but that's IMO.

Healthy diets need a larger volume of healthy foods - if we don't focus on healthy foods how will we know what to include as a majority food?

define "healthy" and "non healthy" foods….
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

Here, here.

I've learned the hard way, thinking of any food as inherently bad is what often leads to an unhealthy relationship with food. We should be able to eat that muffin if we want to, as long as we're not eating nothing but muffins while sitting in front of a computer all day. :flowerforyou:
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Derp levels. Increasing.

homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

who is saying that it is OK to eat pizza all day and makes the claim that it is OK to do that..?

did you even read what OP said …it is the sum of the parts that make the diet of a whole..so if you have a day of eggs, whole grain toast, whole wheat bread and turkey, cottage cheese, and then some pizza and a beer for night that means that your whole day is "crap" and that your performance is going to suffer..????

I eat the things that you labeled as 'crap' and maintain about 11-12 % body fat and have not had my gym performance suffer….

Enjoying some less nutritional food in your diet when you've covered your micros and macros is a great approach.

I do agree with some of the OP, except the fact that we shouldn't focus on healthy food.

Without understanding what is healthy food for us (each individual and their needs) how are we going to eat the most health efficient diet for each of us?

I'm sure most people are happy with a diet that's - good enough. But some of us want a diet that's better than just good enough!
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Yep this is where glucose is used and again we are self sufficient all if this can be done without dietary carbs.

That being said carbs do have a place in a healthy diet. 50 - 150 grams of carbs (main source veg) will deliver all of the micro nutrients we can get through carbs - depending on the carb source the grams may not even need to be as high as 50g

Understood. So if that means that carbohydrates aren't technically essential, I wonder if there have been any long term studies with people consuming zero carbs. I wonder what their overall health is like. I also assume it would be difficult to meet all your micro needs on a diet like that without extensive supplementation. This is a curiosity point rather than a debate one.
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Enjoying some less nutritional food in your diet when you've covered your micros and macros is a great approach.

I do agree with some of the OP, except the fact that we shouldn't focus on healthy food.

Without understanding what is healthy food for us (each individual and their needs) how are we going to eat the most health efficient diet for each of us?

I'm sure most people are happy with a diet that's - good enough. But some of us want a diet that's better than just good enough!

ABANDON_30e795_1782940.gif
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Can we get this stickied?

Why?( Edited wrong choice of word)

Sorry strokingdiction - but that's IMO.

Healthy diets need a larger volume of healthy foods - if we don't focus on healthy foods how will we know what to include as a majority food?

define "healthy" and "non healthy" foods….

Sorry misread non healthy as unhealthy.

Healthy for me may be non healthy for you.

I focus on meat, veggies and the occasional glass of red wine!

Eggs, Greek yoghurt etc.....

I eat both healthy food and non healthy food (however with the exemption of things like sugar (from candy bars and white rice), most foods I eat will have a level of healthy.

But like I said what I consider healthy is subjective because I may have different goal to you.
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    .581f3d004356da32a3bee433cc1284b7.jpg