How to tell vegan friends to back off?!

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Are you saying you can't be a healthy vegan? Yeah, fruits, veggies, beans, whole grains....they're so NOT healthy. Give me a break.

It's not that simple. The overall diet often lacks sufficient protein and will lack B12 without supplementation.
    One word: Marmite

That is a valid solution to a very restrictive diet. Sounds delicious

Have you *eaten* Marmite?

lol
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ln1oqnALu71qiat37.gif
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    my vegan powers are just superior enough to help me stomach this thread
  • arganusai
    arganusai Posts: 17
    Options
    A friend of mine pointed out something about people who are vegi/vegan, that if you have them round for dinner, you feel obliged to cater for their diets, but if you visit them, you eat how they eat. (And God forbid you bring up that gem without ear protection about animal murderers lol)

Having lived with a vegan who sat making cow noises at me while I ate a burger, I have no sympathy with the militant ones. If you eat and don't feel the need to try and convert everyone and the cat then carry on. It is so boring.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan but I have eaten Marmite. Is similar to Vegemite which is very common in Australia, many people eat it in sandwiches, on toast or crumpets or cracker biscuits.

Not sure what point you are making about it?

I live in the United States. I've eaten Marmite on cheese sandwiches before and found it passable--but there is not enough cheese in the world to make it a regular part of my diet. It's common in other countries, but we've never really developed a taste for it here--the first time I tried it, I found it to be pretty nasty stuff.

Sorry. :(
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Tell them to back off. Also humans are omnivores, they are biologically designed to eat meat....we even have extra organs left over from when we ate raw meat. You could also look up protein deficiency and tell them about all of the awful symptoms. Personally I would stick with "I didn't ask and I have made an informed decision for myself" if they can't respect that, it may be time for new "friends" that respect your right to have your own opinions.

What's "protein deficiency"?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Apparently people didn't learn much how to "back off" on either side or this thread wouldn't have been growing...
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Tell them that you are happy it works for them, but you really like your steak or chicken with taters. I several vegetarian friends/family and this has never came up, thankfully. I can honestly say that I really love bacon a little too much to give it up completely.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan but I have eaten Marmite. Is similar to Vegemite which is very common in Australia, many people eat it in sandwiches, on toast or crumpets or cracker biscuits.

I live in the United States. I've eaten Marmite on cheese sandwiches before and found it passable--but there is not enough cheese in the world to make it a regular part of my diet. It's common in other countries, but we've never really developed a taste for it here--the first time I tried it, I found it to be pretty nasty stuff.

Sorry. :(

I grew up in the UK and ate marmite ( just like Vegemite) almost every day. Now I have a craving. I think today I will be out buying marmite for my toast and branston pickle for my sandwiches:)
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine pointed out something about people who are vegi/vegan, that if you have them round for dinner, you feel obliged to cater for their diets, but if you visit them, you eat how they eat. (And God forbid you bring up that gem without ear protection about animal murderers lol)

Having lived with a vegan who sat making cow noises at me while I ate a burger, I have no sympathy with the militant ones. If you eat and don't feel the need to try and convert everyone and the cat then carry on. It is so boring.

We are not all like that. I am vegetarian but still cook meat foods for my family, they eat some vegetarian foods because they like them but they also eat the meat foods too. My family don't want to give up meat and I understand that, in return they don't have an issue with me being vegetarian - we are all individual and respect each others choices. There are some foods I have an issue with cooking so my husband will do them.
  • Sun_Wukong
    Sun_Wukong Posts: 131
    Options
    Are you saying you can't be a healthy vegan? Yeah, fruits, veggies, beans, whole grains....they're so NOT healthy. Give me a break.

It's not that simple. The overall diet often lacks sufficient protein and will lack B12 without supplementation.

I'll give you that B12 can be difficult to obtain to those who don't plan, but with all the vegan products available in 2014, as well as the abundance of protein options from tofu, tempeh, seitan, etc., protein isn't really an issue in the modern vegan diet.

It still takes a good deal of planning and cooking. Unless you're living in a place like Manitou Springs, CO, most restaurants' options will have little to no protein. The point is that you don't simply eat fruits, veggies, and grains and have a healthy diet. I'm not saying that it can't be done.
    As a long time vegan I concur, often I see vegans who neglect supplementing their diet or planning correctly thus creating nutritional deficiencies...as is the case with a lot of restrictive diets.

Also there are omnivores who also suffer from nutritional deficiencies, as it could be said the general public are poorly educated when it comes to dietary needs.

It can be done, there is no doubt about it, if the right research is performed and the correct steps are taken.

But don't forget it is not just an issue of only personal preference but also that of geographical and financial means. e.g. I have traveled myself as have vegan friends of mine both overseas and within my own country and the concept of vegan is not only unfamiliar to some cultures but also a completely alien idea thus making it difficult to get a well balanced vegan diet in these areas...and I am not just talking about far off lands but places such as rural areas in my country, seriously good luck finding a health food store that stocks the supplements or meat replacements mentioned or a restaurant that caters to vegans.

The paragraph above is an example of how planning and preparation is necessary to a large degree when just traveling.

Not impossible but as mentioned planning, preparation, education are definitely necessary to do it properly...hasn't stopped me tho but a restrictive diet is just what it suggests restrictive at times and anyone who says any different I doubt their very adherence to their diet.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    After reading all of this, I am really glad I am having a burger tonight for dinner!

I am also really glad I have not had to deal with the jerks in the vegan/vegetarian cultures. Guess I have been lucky. I know a vegan and a vegetarian, but neither were pushy jerks about it. In fact, neither really spoke about it beyond when I asked them about it. They don't push their way of doing things on other people or make you feel bad for eating meat. It is what they want to do and they realize not everyone will do the same. Not a big deal.

I even remember my vegan friend having a birthday party one year at her house. We did subs for dinner. She had a "safe" one that followed her dietary wants, but she also had more options including those that included meat and cheese. Now, when she came over to my house I would be sure to plan a meal that would be safe for her, but that was because she was a friend. She NEVER insisted on it and would offer to bring her own food.

So yea... I have only known awesome vegans/vegetarians. Like I said, guess I am lucky.

But I would never be vegan or vegetarian. I often eat vegetarian a few nights a week, but that is mostly due to costs lol. Vegan? Never. I live on eggs. I already have a restricted diet due to medical reasons so cutting more out would just be bad.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

This doesn't bother me, personally. I would expect that a veg/vegan host is going to feed me veg/vegan food, and of course I am going to feed veg/vegan guests food they can eat. It would be the same for any diet restriction. If you're going to push your diet on me, regardless of what it is, then we are not going to be friends in the first place. But if you're not, then I'll happily share a vegan/paleo/gluten-free/whatever meal with you.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

I'll cater for them at my house (I can rise above it) BUT I WILL be serving meat too .. if they have a problem with that, they know where the door is :-p
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    That is a valid solution to a very restrictive diet. Sounds delicious
    It is an acquired taste, I grew up with it and I love the stuff. I eat it everyday, not because I have to but because it is delicious. Marmite, avocado on a flat bread wrap is bad assed. In NZ most people eat it, it isn't just a "vegan" food, when the one and only marmite factory was damaged by earthquake it was actually called Maramageddon
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/newzealand/9941863/New-Zealanders-rejoice-at-end-of-marmageddon.html
  • shmerek
    Options

I don't know if that was directed at me but it has tons of B12
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options

I don't know if that was directed at me but it has tons of B12

Yes I know it is high in B12. My comment was not directed at you at all but at Loup Garou who asked "have you eaten marmite?" - her question seemed to imply to me that marmite was horrible and who would ever want to eat it.

Was just pointing out that many people do eat Marmite/Vegemite in countries like Australia and NZ, most people eating it here are not Vegan, its just a common everyday food that many people eat.
    Not a horrible item that vegans must endure.
  • shmerek
    Options
    Yes I know it is high in B12. My comment was not directed at you at all but at Loup Garou who asked "have you eaten marmite?" - her question seemed to imply to me that marmite was horrible and who would ever want to eat it.

Was just pointing out that many people do eat Marmite/Vegemite in countries like Australia and NZ, most people eating it here are not Vegan, its just a common everyday food that many people eat.
    Gotcha :smile:
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Gotcha :smile:

And as I explained, I'm an American. Most of us are not acculturated to it and many (if not most) find it pretty horrible. As I said: "sorry." :(
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    No need to apologise, was just a passing comment on my behalf.

And I agree it is an acquired taste, most Australian kids acquire it in childhood - but I have heard of many Australians who took. Vegemite overseas for their relatives or friends in other countries to try - most of them felt same way about it as you. :smile: