How to tell vegan friends to back off?!

Options

Replies

• NidiaG24
    NidiaG24 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    LMAO I am getting high off the responses to this thread. I am in love with all u Evil Genius and the way ur brains work
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Seriously? The same way I tell my omnivore friends to back off. Commenting on someone else's food choices is rude, no matter what philosophy you are pushing. Repeat after me:

"I won't comment on your food choices, and I need you not to comment on mine."
    :blushing:
    Of course, that means that you can't criticize them for being vegan, either. Given that you started a thread just to complain about them, that may be difficult.

Alternatively, just tell them you're a clean eater...that should send the discussion swiftly into another direction....
  • hellodmo
    hellodmo Posts: 23
    Options
    Start trying to convince them they should eat meat... how tasty it is and how much their mouths will thank them if they just eat bacon. Remind them of it frequently. Eventually they'll get the point.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options

I have to say though, the whole "we're meant to eat meat" thing is annoying. "Meant to" by who? God? Will we die without it? Am I a zombie at this point?

Physiologically, it's hard to argue that human beings are "meant to be" omnivores. Most herbivores have eyes set on the sides of their heads, to see predators coming. They generally have vision up to about 270 degrees or so. Human beings have eyes set on the front of their heads, like predatory species, not prey species.

Human beings primarily have teeth that cut and tear. Our grinding teeth are limited and set at the back of our mouths. Other omnivorous or carnivorous animals have such teeth. Herbivorous mammals have tearing teeth at the font of their mouths and grinding teeth all along their jaws.

Human beings have two breasts on the front of their bodies. In terms of mammals, we're pikers: dogs, for example, have up to ten "breasts" on their bellies (I think they actually have 8 breasts and 10 nipples, but I might be mistaken). Regardless. Most herbivores nurse their young from udders between their hind legs. I'm pretty sure Al Bundy didn't read "Udder 'Uns."

Herbivores digest cellulose. Human beings do not. Some herbivores have several stomachs that allow them to break down cellulose efficiently. When was the last time anyone here saw a human being chew his/her cud?

Human beings have guts of moderate length. Herbivores tend to have very long or complex guts, including those multiple stomachs at times, to aid in the digestion of cellulose. Our guts are neither as long as herbivores or as short as carnivores. That in itself would suggest an omnivorous diet.

Herbivores are born capable of walking and running within minutes of their birth. Human beings, like other omnivores, are born with poor vision and essentially undeveloped. We are slightly more developed than carnivorous animals or to omnivores closer to carnivorous. Feline and canine species, after all, are born with sealed ears and eyes, whereas human beings have limited vision and can hear.

So, whether you argue the existence of God or not--and I believe that God exists and is the Creator--it would seem logical that we were physiologically "meant" to eat meat. We might not die without it, but most vegans take a boatload of supplements. In my opinion, most vegans don't look healthy, especially those who have been at it for a while or those who claim to have active lifestyles. To me, that would speak to them having a less than adequate diet *for the species* even if they can sustain themselves quiet adequately on what they eat.

I hear what you're saying. But to address your points:

Most, but not all animals with eyes in front are carnivores/omnivores (pandas, koalas), and not all animals with eyes on the side are herbivores (fish, orca).

As far as the teeth argument, our teeth don't primarily cut and tear like a carnivore's would. Our incisors are very small. In fact our teeth are most similar to chimpanzee teeth. Chimpanzees, coincidentally, are mostly vegetarian. Even that though, there are animals with big incisors who don't use them to tear meat.

But that's neither here nor there. What makes an animal a carnivore, omnivore, or herbavore is what they eat/need to eat. So for example, obligate carnivores need meat. We are omnivores, but not obligate omnivores. Meaning, we *can* eat both meat and plants, but do not need to eat meat. An animal that is an obligate omnivore would need both plants AND meat to subsist. Essentially humans are "made" to eat whatever's convenient. But meat is not necessary, if one chooses to eschew it.

But what about B12? We need B12, and the general population gets it from meat sources without a problem. Vegans need B12 supplements because they don't get it in their diet. If we didn't need meat, then why is it (basically, with the exception of dairy and eggs) the only source of B12?

ETA: My knowledge on the whole B12 thing is relatively small, so if I'm wrong please feel free to correct me. But from my general understanding, someone on a vegan diet would struggle greatly without supplementation. I doubt man kind would be here today if our ancestors partook in a vegan diet. Although, given our access to B12 supplements I suppose you could say that nowadays, meat isn't necessary?

For the most part the only sources of B12 are in meat, but it's only because the animals are the middle man. B12 basically comes from dirt and we clean our food (plants) too well to be able to get enough to make a difference in our diet. So our ancestors likely had very little issues with it, since number 1, yes they did eat meat, probably a lot less meat than we as a society eat today granted, AND they had no way to "properly" clean their food. Also a cool thing is, they used to walk around barefoot, and I've heard that the B12 would be absorbed into their feet and then into their body, but don't quote me on that, it sounds like hocus pocus but I thought it was neat, but it may not be true.

However, most foods are fortified with B12 nowadays because people are deficient in it, meat eaters included. So yes, it's VERY important, but if you're eating enough of the foods that are fortified with it, it shouldn't be a problem. :) Or, if you eat meat. Granted...I have heard that the majority of people that are low in B12 are meat eaters...but i'm assuming that is because a lot of people just don't watch their diets very carefully. My mom is low in both B12 and VitD, i'm assuming the D is because she never goes into the sun because she has had skin cancer, and I think this is fairly common now, because we are all terrified of the sun, but the B12 was pretty perplexing to her, she eats meat.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Start trying to convince them they should eat meat... how tasty it is and how much their mouths will thank them if they just eat bacon. Remind them of it frequently. Eventually they'll get the point.

eye for an eye....this is a good one...honestly I wouldn't mind losing friends like these who depress me all the time...
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i have one on my facebook that constantly posts bloody salughter pictures of animals ALL DAY LONG... i just ignore it... im not quite sure why these types of people feel they need to push thier morals or beliefs on others, especially since she is athiest, and i dont ever try to push my christian beliefs on her... or anyone else...
  • veganbettie
    Options
    facebook has this really awesome option where you can hide peoples feeds. I do it to people who constantly talk about bacon. It's awesome.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    except for that then we miss everything from that person, and that kind of sucks, so i just ignore her slaughter pictures, and i can still function through the day just fine. im one of those wierd people who value the right of freedom in this country, to be able to eat as i please... as well as respect others rights to eat a vegan diet...
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    except for that then we miss everything from that person, and that kind of sucks, so i just ignore her slaughter pictures, and i can still function through the day just fine. im one of those wierd people who value the right of freedom in this country, to be able to eat as i please... as well as respect others rights to eat a vegan diet...

Too bad your friend doesn't feel the same way. She's obviously one of those normal people that doesn't respect others rights to eat a non vegan diet.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    or she is just trying to spread the word of animal cruelty? By showing people that may not know how the majority of animals are treated? Because honestly some people just don’t know. Personally I don’t think this is the best way to spread veganism, but everyone is different….but obviously it just puts people off….

I’m curious for how long all these “pushy” vegans have been vegan for? I was like that in the very early years of being vegan…but you hopefully learn quickly that it’s not generally the best way to reach out for your cause.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    or she is just trying to spread the word of animal cruelty? By showing people that may not know how the majority of animals are treated? Because honestly some people just don’t know. Personally I don’t think this is the best way to spread veganism, but everyone is different….but obviously it just puts people off….

I’m curious for how long all these “pushy” vegans have been vegan for? I was like that in the very early years of being vegan…but you hopefully learn quickly that it’s not generally the best way to reach out for your cause.

Spreading the word that most people already understand. Things have to die if you eat. She's proselytizing people who have no desire to adopt her beliefs. She's a jerk. Her facebook friend, on the other hand, is very accommodating, as is her right.

I worked in a slaughter yard for a couple of summers during college, one designed by Temple Grandin. Those animals were treated very well. It's wrong to put that kind of face on an industry that, for the vast majority, is extremely humane in its containment and slaughter practices. Real animal cruelty is far more rare than most proselytizing activist would have you believe. The fact that 99% of them have never even seen the conditions first hand is what bothers me the most.

Just to get back on point. Just tell anyone (insert any dietary vigilante here) who doesn't like the way you eat to back off, it's none of their business.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    just go full atkins keto on them!
    no , just say ive tried it it was not for me , youve already told us, why not them , politely and firmly,, "look your pushing me makes me feel uncomfortable, if you cant stop preaching like a pastor , im gonna have to change my church"
  • veganbettie
    Options

Spreading the word that most people already understand. Things have to die if you eat. She's proselytizing people who have no desire to adopt her beliefs. She's a jerk. Her facebook friend, on the other hand, is very accommodating, as is her right.

I worked in a slaughter yard for a couple of summers during college, one designed by Temple Grandin. Those animals were treated very well. It's wrong to put that kind of face on an industry that, for the vast majority, is extremely humane in its containment and slaughter practices. Real animal cruelty is far more rare than most proselytizing activist would have you believe. The fact that 99% of them have never even seen the conditions first hand is what bothers me the most.

Just to get back on point. Just tell anyone (insert any dietary vigilante here) who doesn't like the way you eat to back off, it's none of their business.

I think the hard part here is where people's differences in their belief of what is cruelty and "humane" slaughter....but we are just going to have to agree to disagree here.

Anyways. Yay for food, lets eat! I'll eat some seitan and you eat whatever it is that you eat and we will all be happy and everyone can mind their own business and be nice.

Anyone want a beer?
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

I think the hard part here is where people's differences in their belief of what is cruelty and "humane" slaughter....but we are just going to have to agree to disagree here.

Anyways. Yay for food, lets eat! I'll eat some seitan and you eat whatever it is that you eat and we will all be happy and everyone can mind their own business and be nice.

Anyone want a beer?

Fair enough.

I'll have a beer. :drinker:
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    "No other animal drinks milk into adulthood!"

"That's because no other animal is smart enough to figure out how to milk a cow."

Haha. This ^ = Awesome.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I am vegan for medical reasons and can care less what other people put in their bodies. It sounds like you need new friends.
  • ElizabethElane
    ElizabethElane Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    "No other animal drinks milk into adulthood!"

"That's because no other animal is smart enough to figure out how to milk a cow."

Oh my god...I just died laughing xD
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Veganism is a weird cult. They try to convert everyone into that unnatural behavior for some reason. Like Volvo drivers.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    That's interesting, I am on the opposite end of this. Usually I have a bunch of people telling me to eat meat (haven't touched meat for 12 years) and I haven't a clue what to say to them other than to use carrot sticks to write "f$%k off" on their front lawn :wink: