How to tell vegan friends to back off?!

Options

Replies

• kilgore67
    kilgore67 Posts: 40
    Options
    SIMPLY BITE THEM ON THE NECK, AND DRINK EVERY OUNCE OF THEIR BLOOD. THAT SHOULD TAKE CARE OF YOUR PROBLEM. (DON'T FORGET TO LOG THE CALORIES!)

LOL
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

I have to say though, the whole "we're meant to eat meat" thing is annoying. "Meant to" by who? God? Will we die without it? Am I a zombie at this point?

Physiologically, it's hard to argue that human beings are "meant to be" omnivores. Most herbivores have eyes set on the sides of their heads, to see predators coming. They generally have vision up to about 270 degrees or so. Human beings have eyes set on the front of their heads, like predatory species, not prey species.

Human beings primarily have teeth that cut and tear. Our grinding teeth are limited and set at the back of our mouths. Other omnivorous or carnivorous animals have such teeth. Herbivorous mammals have tearing teeth at the font of their mouths and grinding teeth all along their jaws.

Human beings have two breasts on the front of their bodies. In terms of mammals, we're pikers: dogs, for example, have up to ten "breasts" on their bellies (I think they actually have 8 breasts and 10 nipples, but I might be mistaken). Regardless. Most herbivores nurse their young from udders between their hind legs. I'm pretty sure Al Bundy didn't read "Udder 'Uns."

Herbivores digest cellulose. Human beings do not. Some herbivores have several stomachs that allow them to break down cellulose efficiently. When was the last time anyone here saw a human being chew his/her cud?

Human beings have guts of moderate length. Herbivores tend to have very long or complex guts, including those multiple stomachs at times, to aid in the digestion of cellulose. Our guts are neither as long as herbivores or as short as carnivores. That in itself would suggest an omnivorous diet.

Herbivores are born capable of walking and running within minutes of their birth. Human beings, like other omnivores, are born with poor vision and essentially undeveloped. We are slightly more developed than carnivorous animals or to omnivores closer to carnivorous. Feline and canine species, after all, are born with sealed ears and eyes, whereas human beings have limited vision and can hear.

So, whether you argue the existence of God or not--and I believe that God exists and is the Creator--it would seem logical that we were physiologically "meant" to eat meat. We might not die without it, but most vegans take a boatload of supplements. In my opinion, most vegans don't look healthy, especially those who have been at it for a while or those who claim to have active lifestyles. To me, that would speak to them having a less than adequate diet *for the species* even if they can sustain themselves quiet adequately on what they eat.
  • Mrsbeale11
    Mrsbeale11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I get it family and friends who are vegan have their views but they always try to push it on me or others, it's like solicitors that come door to door trying to get you to take their pamphlets or switch to their internet provider. I respect their choice and so make sure to include meals they can eat during a get together. But I don't push them to eat animal products.

And I've already heard "well if you tried it you'll like it or feel better". Yeah I was vegan for over a year before but it wasn't for me. At the time I was rowing and competing in regattas which meant I was training in the gym 5 days and on the water 4 days of the week. Perhaps it was the timing but I could never get enough calories or protein from alternative sources. I felt weaker and was always tired.

I already don't eat most dairy products and during the week include vegan meals but I just like meat.

Simply saying "no thank you" or even explaining what I just did here doesn't seem to work. Anyone else experience this? What do you do?

Carry cubed chunks of chicken in your pocket at all times and whenever one of them approaches you to advise you about how you should adopt their specific eating habits just calmly reach into your pocket, retrieve the cubed meat and while listening to them begin to throw the meat at them until they stop. Guaranteed to work.

Now if in addition you want to keep these friends you could alternatively just ask them to stop doing that in a much more assertive and directed manner rather than "oh....no thank you" which is rather passive.

This made me laugh out loud on train to work!! All the other commuters are now looking at me like I'm crazy :D
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

I have to say though, the whole "we're meant to eat meat" thing is annoying. "Meant to" by who? God? Will we die without it? Am I a zombie at this point?

Physiologically, it's hard to argue that human beings are "meant to be" omnivores. Most herbivores have eyes set on the sides of their heads, to see predators coming. They generally have vision up to about 270 degrees or so. Human beings have eyes set on the front of their heads, like predatory species, not prey species.

Human beings primarily have teeth that cut and tear. Our grinding teeth are limited and set at the back of our mouths. Other omnivorous or carnivorous animals have such teeth. Herbivorous mammals have tearing teeth at the font of their mouths and grinding teeth all along their jaws.

Human beings have two breasts on the front of their bodies. In terms of mammals, we're pikers: dogs, for example, have up to ten "breasts" on their bellies (I think they actually have 8 breasts and 10 nipples, but I might be mistaken). Regardless. Most herbivores nurse their young from udders between their hind legs. I'm pretty sure Al Bundy didn't read "Udder 'Uns."

Herbivores digest cellulose. Human beings do not. Some herbivores have several stomachs that allow them to break down cellulose efficiently. When was the last time anyone here saw a human being chew his/her cud?

Human beings have guts of moderate length. Herbivores tend to have very long or complex guts, including those multiple stomachs at times, to aid in the digestion of cellulose. Our guts are neither as long as herbivores or as short as carnivores. That in itself would suggest an omnivorous diet.

Herbivores are born capable of walking and running within minutes of their birth. Human beings, like other omnivores, are born with poor vision and essentially undeveloped. We are slightly more developed than carnivorous animals or to omnivores closer to carnivorous. Feline and canine species, after all, are born with sealed ears and eyes, whereas human beings have limited vision and can hear.

So, whether you argue the existence of God or not--and I believe that God exists and is the Creator--it would seem logical that we were physiologically "meant" to eat meat. We might not die without it, but most vegans take a boatload of supplements. In my opinion, most vegans don't look healthy, especially those who have been at it for a while or those who claim to have active lifestyles. To me, that would speak to them having a less than adequate diet *for the species* even if they can sustain themselves quiet adequately on what they eat.

That was a very interesting post! thanks for sharing :)
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am really shocked by the amount of aggressivity.

Agreeing or not with Vegan, there is no way whatsoever to get to that point of physical aggression. :noway:

Most people don't give a **** about animals and the way they are treated in these farms of mass production.
    I am rather sure, that some people would at least turn vegetarian, if they would really see it or would need to kill the animals themselves.

If you can't deal with Vegans, look for other friends.
    I have meat eater friends, vegetarians, vegans... and we all can co-exist, so where is the problem?

I never met a stranger on the road telling me I should drop my sandwich, because there is meat in it.
    But I got constantly people at my door, trying to convert me to some religion....
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

I have meat eater friends, vegetarians, vegans... and we all can co-exist, so where is the problem?

I never met a stranger on the road telling me I should drop my sandwich, because there is meat in it.
    But I got constantly people at my door, trying to convert me to some religion....

"Ethical" vegans are typically animal rights activists/animal liberationists. The nationally-funded animal rights/protection/liberation groups are seeking to end animal agriculture. The very first post I made here, asking how to calculate hand-milking goats as "exercise" was met with the suggestion to look under T in the database, for "torturing farm animals." So no, personally, I can't co-exist with "ethical" vegans because they don't want to co-exist with me. People who want to eat a vegan diet for their health, I can deal with.
  • seabirdie12
    seabirdie12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

"Ethical" vegans are typically animal rights activists/animal liberationists. The nationally-funded animal rights/protection/liberation groups are seeking to end animal agriculture. The very first post I made here, asking how to calculate hand-milking goats as "exercise" was met with the suggestion to look under T in the database, for "torturing farm animals." So no, personally, I can't co-exist with "ethical" vegans because they don't want to co-exist with me. People who want to eat a vegan diet for their health, I can deal with.

Because all ethical vegans are exactly the same.

OP - You know your friends better than any of us do. Everyone is the same, not all vegans shove their beliefs down omni's throats, just like not all omni's try and shove their meat down vegan's throats.

You just need to tell them to stop. Point blank. If they can't respect you for your choices, then you can't continue your friendship.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

Because all ethical vegans are exactly the same.

OP - You know your friends better than any of us do. Everyone is the same, not all vegans shove their beliefs down omni's throats, just like not all omni's try and shove their meat down vegan's throats.

You just need to tell them to stop. Point blank. If they can't respect you for your choices, then you can't continue your friendship.

Never said that, seabirdie. Don't put words in my mouth.

I do agree, though. Regardless of their stance, if I had friends constantly telling me that I had to change to suit them then I would consider that extremely disrespectful and would distance myself from them.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Seriously, you were asking this? :laugh:

But still, I can not accept the random agression about this.
    Ethical vegans have a certain opinion, but hardly want to kill. Unlike other extremists.

So for me, if I have to choose an extremist, I choose a vegan :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    This is why I have a duplicate rendition of Rocky Balboa's "tiger" jacket from Rocky III. I'm a TIGER not a rabbit. Then give them the menacing look.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Ask them if they go to the movies, or take photos with film or walk on concrete. If so, they are using animal products.

BOOM.

Most vegans and vegetarians are super smug about their choices, but are also huge hypocrites.

Before I get attacked, I should know, I was veg for ~20 years. I stopped because I saw the hypocrisy in myself, realized I couldn't change anything by not eating meat AND (the biggest thing) I was sick. I don't particularly like plant based protein sources so I was pretty much eating nothing but carbs. Also, steak is amazing.

Support local farms if you are concerned with the treatment of animals in industrial farms.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    What bugs me about aggressive vegans (and yes, I've known my share) is that they think I just don't know better. Much like aggressive evangelists trying to save my soul. Don't assume that I don't follow your lifestyle simply because I haven't had the opportunity and I'm just ignorant. Maybe I *have* thought about it, researched it, deliberated rationally, weighed the options, and decided that I LIKE MEAT, DAMMIT.

Just sayin'
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

Ethical vegans have a certain opinion, but hardly want to kill. Unlike other extremists.

I was seriously asking that. I work on a goat farm and it was relevant to my logging/calories. We're milking so many now that we're using the milking machine, but I still log my other farm duties--and actually, there is a calculation for milking with a machine, but I can't imagine using it.

"Ethical" vegans, if they are also animal right activists/animal liberationists have certainly been linked to violence. One notable instance: a couple of years ago a man with "Vegan" tattooed across his throat burnt down a leather goods factory. I'm pretty sure that Camille Marino is an ethical vegan, too. If you don't know who she is, look up "Negotiation is Over" (NIO).

If I have to choose an extremist, I choose "None of the Above."
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the thread and probably won't come back because these threads go nowhere good, but as a vegan, I'd say to handle it like I handle people pushing their non-vegan meals on me ("You can have just a little bit, eat around it, carrot killer, you can't be healthy," and so on.) "Thank you for your opinion." "I'll bring my own food, you don't have to worry about how to feed me." "My blood work is showing excellent results, so me and my doctor don't share your concerns about my diet."

Give brief, calm answers and don't bring up your diet with people who are eating differently. If someone says something to you about eating meat, a simple "I respect your opinion but prefer not to talk about this right now" repeated over and over no matter what the other person says should serve you well.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the thread and probably won't come back because these threads go nowhere good, but as a vegan, I'd say to handle it like I handle people pushing their non-vegan meals on me ("You can have just a little bit, eat around it, carrot killer, you can't be healthy," and so on.) "Thank you for your opinion." "I'll bring my own food, you don't have to worry about how to feed me." "My blood work is showing excellent results, so me and my doctor don't share your concerns about my diet."

Give brief, calm answers and don't bring up your diet with people who are eating differently. If someone says something to you about eating meat, a simple "I respect your opinion but prefer not to talk about this right now" repeated over and over no matter what the other person says should serve you well.

QFT!

That's a wrap people.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options

I was seriously asking that. I work on a goat farm and it was relevant to my logging/calories. We're milking so many now that we're using the milking machine, but I still log my other farm duties--and actually, there is a calculation for milking with a machine, but I can't imagine using it.

"Ethical" vegans, if they are also animal right activists/animal liberationists have certainly been linked to violence. One notable instance: a couple of years ago a man with "Vegan" tattooed across his throat burnt down a leather goods factory. I'm pretty sure that Camille Marino is an ethical vegan, too. If you don't know who she is, look up "Negotiation is Over" (NIO).

It's sad that you've lumped all ethical vegans into the same umbrella as these two folks. :C
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My general reply is, "But cow tastes good."

This reminds me of a conversation I had with someone once. I was telling a friend how it had been a while since I had veal. Another girl there started going off on how they treat calves to get veal. Putting them in little boxes and bottle fed until it's time for slaughter.

I looked her right in the eye, and with my most innocent, kindest voice said, "Well, yeah. If they let them run around the meat would get too tough."

She's still not talking to me.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

It's sad that you've lumped all ethical vegans into the same umbrella as these two folks. :C

I was responding to the comment about extremists.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    My general reply is, "But cow tastes good."

This reminds me of a conversation I had with someone once. I was telling a friend how it had been a while since I had veal. Another girl there started going off on how they treat calves to get veal. Putting them in little boxes and bottle fed until it's time for slaughter.

I looked her right in the eye, and with my most innocent, kindest voice said, "Well, yeah. If they let them run around the meat would get too tough."

She's still not talking to me.

This is really funny, also original.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options

I was responding to the comment about extremists.

""Ethical" vegans, if they are also animal right activists/animal liberationists have certainly been linked to violence."

You also noted that you "can't co-exist" with ethical vegans, be they animal rights activists/animal liberationists or not. Just seems like a lot of people here assume that they can make blanket statements about ethical vegans is all. A lot of us are peace-loving people.