How to tell vegan friends to back off?!

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    "No other animal drinks milk into adulthood!"

"That's because no other animal is smart enough to figure out how to milk a cow."

The Red Billed Oxpecker, a bird that perches on the udders of an Impala just to drink its milk. Elsewhere, in Isla de Guadalupe, feral cats, seagulls, and sheathbills have been observed stealing the milk directly from the teats of elephant seals.
  • StarvingInSuburbia
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and go vegan sometimes, but having them force it upon you is just rude. Next time they try to do that, tell them your experiences and just say "Oh no, I've tried it and it didn't work, but thanks." And if they keep going, just say no. A strong and firm no.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    How to tell vegan friends to back off?

If all polite attempts fail, then you really just answered your own question.

Back off.
  • NightWriteMermaid
    Options
    The issue here isn't whether or not a vegan diet is better than OP's. The issue is that the "friends" in this situation are being disrespectful. If it were me, I'd sit them down and tell them, once and for all, that you do not want to hear about this or be harassed about it any further. If you are, then you cannot spend time with/talk to them. Then follow through. You have to make your own boundaries and stick by them.

Good luck!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    "No other animal drinks milk into adulthood!"

"That's because no other animal is smart enough to figure out how to milk a cow."

Honestly there is a very good biological reason. Humans as a species developed a mutation in the lactase enzyme pathway that allows the enzyme responsible for the metabolic decomposition (digestion) of lactose into adulthood. All other mammals have the lactase gene regulated so that entering into adulthood the expression of the gene is turned off. Humans developed a mutation sometime in our past that spread through most of the population that prevented this regulatory mechanism so lactase continued to be expressed into adulthood. Its actually the lactose intolerant that have the "natural" genetics and the lactose tolerant that are the "mutants" although of course what is "natural" is all relative when it comes to evolution.

Regardless if you can drink it why wouldn't you unless you specifically don't like the taste or just don't want to. There is no "natural" or health reason to not drink milk that isn't based on some misguided idea of an "ideal" based on judgement of what "nature" should be.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Food is like religion...it's hard to discuss when people believe/don't believe.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Kick them. And if that doesn't work, kick them again. I've had vegans/vegetarian/lacto-ovos/all that weird crap in my life at one point and every single one of them respected my views. I was a vegetarian for three months, loved it, but couldn't stick with it because meat is so damn delicious and I need those amino acids. Anyway, if they aren't respectful of your life choices, I'd say don't be respectful of theirs. Maybe one time just try, not in a mean way, but pester them about why they don't eat meat and how it would be better for them if they did. Not saying that's fact or anything. If they ask you to stop say "I will when you will." It should solve the problem real quick.

But otherwise be assertive, make a point that you are tired of their ****, and just continue on with life.
  • gajidas85
    gajidas85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've encountered particular vegans like this whether it was it's in conversation with me or not. And its not about my health either. It seems to be more of a every-meat-eater-is-unhealthy thing. It's always worked in. The diet and what they've read is pushed into every conversation. It's like talking to my sisters dad. Everything comes back to the bible. Here everything comes back to vegan lifestyle.

I saw someone post an image that said "You believe god put animals here for us to eat.....mcdonald's must be a very spiritual place for you." Yes because every person who eats meat has to eat mcd's.

I know I'm generalizing and agree it's the person. Summer picnics are soon so I guess I have to practice my "back off wench I said no" response.
  • xero2099
    xero2099 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    tell them humans were designed to to eat meat, them smack them in the face with a hot dog!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've encountered particular vegans like this whether it was it's in conversation with me or not. And its not about my health either. It seems to be more of a every-meat-eater-is-unhealthy thing. It's always worked in. The diet and what they've read is pushed into every conversation. It's like talking to my sisters dad. Everything comes back to the bible. Here everything comes back to vegan lifestyle.

I saw someone post an image that said "You believe god put animals here for us to eat.....mcdonald's must be a very spiritual place for you." Yes because every person who eats meat has to eat mcd's.

I know I'm generalizing and agree it's the person. Summer picnics are soon so I guess I have to practice my "back off wench I said no" response.

Some people will make a cause out of a lifestyle, whether it be their religious beliefs or as simple as what they choose to eat. They can be a pain but you seem to realize its b.s. so I suppose perhaps you can end up just seeing the humor in it. If you grin and laugh when they talk about it I bet they will stop talking about it, although they might be offended that you don't take them seriously.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    If politeness isn't working, be firm - "my food choices aren't up for discussion. I'm not going to talk about this with you any longer".

If firmness doesn't work, get new friends.

- a vegan
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    There is nothing in the world that will get an "ethical" vegan to back off. If they don't respond to courteous requests, just don't answer their calls any longer or risk stooping to their level of rudeness.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Regardless if you can drink it why wouldn't you unless you specifically don't like the taste or just don't want to. There is no "natural" or health reason to not drink milk that isn't based on some misguided idea of an "ideal" based on judgement of what "nature" should be.
    What about lactose intolerance? My husband and step daughter cannot drink milk or else, things get unpleasant. lol

Anyway to the OP, just like someone already mentioned about boundaries within friendships, if your "friends" don't back off and stop shoving their ideals into your face, than maybe its time to find a new group of friends to hang out with.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Maniacally kiss a peice of your choice of meat before chomping it into a dramatic nothingnesss.
    Give a stern, slightly zealot look and don't offer a verbal explanation
    :wink: :laugh: :devil:
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would just tell them nicely that you don't push meat on them, and if your are interested they will be the first people you turn too.

I am a vegetarian and was a little bit "activist" at first. I think once its just your life, you relax a bit, but always help out people when they show the willingness. That part is the key or you just end up pissing people off. Just tell your friends nicely to back off, they need to hear it.
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    Could never be Vegan... I like Jello too much. I would simply tell them flat out to lay off, your not vegan, nor will you ever be.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Try this...
    "back off"
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • rheannaraye
    rheannaraye Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    r712yw.jpg
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Tell them to stop, and that you don't push your views onto them. If a simple "no thanks" isn't working, it's time to get assertive!