How to tell vegan friends to back off?!

Options

Replies

• MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I walk them to my chickens, ducks, and rabbits and show them that MY meat is raised ethically.

But in your case, i can send you videos of us snapping rabbit necks this fall and you can tell your vegan friends that i kill a bbunn every time they overstep boundaries.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

""Ethical" vegans, if they are also animal right activists/animal liberationists have certainly been linked to violence."

You also noted that you "can't co-exist" with ethical vegans, be they animal rights activists/animal liberationists or not. Just seems like a lot of people here assume that they can make blanket statements about ethical vegans is all. A lot of us are peace-loving people.

By its very nature, "ethical" veganism labels my way of life cruel and wants to eliminate it. So no, I can't co-exist with that.
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You've probably left them under the false impression that you'd appreciate their advice about getting back on the wagon as you're stating dietary reasons to them as why you fell off.
  • mlyn0812
    mlyn0812 Posts: 31
    Options
    Some vegans practically turn their eating habits into a religion. Though not all religious people try to push their beliefs down others throats...

I think explaining how you actually tried the diet and didn't feel well on it would be enough. Some people
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

""Ethical" vegans, if they are also animal right activists/animal liberationists have certainly been linked to violence."

You also noted that you "can't co-exist" with ethical vegans, be they animal rights activists/animal liberationists or not. Just seems like a lot of people here assume that they can make blanket statements about ethical vegans is all. A lot of us are peace-loving people.

By its very nature, "ethical" veganism labels my way of life cruel and wants to eliminate it. So no, I can't co-exist with that.

Actually, "ethical veganism" has nothing to do with elimination. Being an ethical vegan means that I choose not to eat meat because *I* believe it is unethical. While ethical vegans might hope that people would stop consuming/exploiting animals, at its core, it has only to do with the reason that particular person chooses not to eat meat. Vegans who do so for health reasons do it for their own health - not yours. Ethical veganism is similar in this regard.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I guess I just don't have a problem saying "no", "no thank you", and then "F-Off I don't want your F-ing food so lay off or we aren't going to be cool anymore." After a couple times just stop being nice about it and tell them they are pissing you off, if they don't care and keep at it then obviously this isnt' someone you wanna be going to a nice restaurant with.......problem solved.
  • teenyjem
    teenyjem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Throw a Skyler at them... and do the old 'SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!'

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130102104737/breakingbad/images/8/8c/Shut-up.gif
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    If they're your friends they'll understand. It's only natural for your friends to want to help but they do not run your life.

This isn't a Vegan friend, but yesterday I went to applebees with my best friend. He got the Bourbon steak, a 22 oz beer and a corona rita which is a high calorie combination. I went for the Applebee's - Napa Chicken & Portabella (450cal) and had only 1 beer. He knew I was being careful with my calories and did not push any of these options on me, he even pushed to get salads instead of a fried appetizer.

A good friend respects your choices and that goes both ways. He's not watching his calories like I am (darn skinny dude) but he'll never make me feel guilty for eating healthy. This also doesn't mean he needs to be eating healthy around me, he can eat what he wants. It's possible your friends aren't comfortable with their vegan diet and see you as a temptation away from it. They need to grow up and realize their diet is their own.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Throw a Skyler at them... and do the old 'SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!'

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130102104737/breakingbad/images/8/8c/Shut-up.gif

Love the reference :P
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

Actually, "ethical veganism" has nothing to do with elimination. Being an ethical vegan means that I choose not to eat meat because *I* believe it is unethical. While ethical vegans might hope that people would stop consuming/exploiting animals, at its core, it has only to do with the reason that particular person chooses not to eat meat. Vegans who do so for health reasons do it for their own health - not yours. Ethical veganism is similar in this regard.

If you believe it is unethical, then you are labeling the majority of the population as unethical. The rest of your post is just whitewash. I've seen too much from animal rights/animal liberation types and other types of humaniacs to believe otherwise.

OP, just dump those so-called friends. They're trying to save your soul and eating is not a moral act. It's something we do because we need to survive and also because we enjoy it. Someone giving you the label of "unethical" is not an act of friendship and the attempt to convert you against your will is pretty much an act of violence.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

If you believe it is unethical, then you are labeling the majority of the population as unethical. The rest of your post is just whitewash. I've seen too much from animal rights/animal liberation types and other types of humaniacs to believe otherwise.

OP, just dump those so-called friends. They're trying to save your soul and eating is not a moral act. It's something we do because we need to survive and also because we enjoy it. Someone giving you the label of "unethical" is not an act of friendship and the attempt to convert you against your will is pretty much an act of violence.

Some people think it's unethical or inappropriate for women to show their hair in public. Someone who follows a certain religion very closely might be instructed by their holy texts to shun others who don't have the same beliefs. Just because we think differently doesn't mean we can't co-exist - a society doesn't evolve as a whole if they allow semantic labels to divide them and cause animosity.

But, I'm glad you're not throwing blanket statements out because you've "heard enough from animal rights people". This ethical vegan thinks and speaks otherwise.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

I have to say though, the whole "we're meant to eat meat" thing is annoying. "Meant to" by who? God? Will we die without it? Am I a zombie at this point?

Physiologically, it's hard to argue that human beings are "meant to be" omnivores. Most herbivores have eyes set on the sides of their heads, to see predators coming. They generally have vision up to about 270 degrees or so. Human beings have eyes set on the front of their heads, like predatory species, not prey species.

Human beings primarily have teeth that cut and tear. Our grinding teeth are limited and set at the back of our mouths. Other omnivorous or carnivorous animals have such teeth. Herbivorous mammals have tearing teeth at the font of their mouths and grinding teeth all along their jaws.

Human beings have two breasts on the front of their bodies. In terms of mammals, we're pikers: dogs, for example, have up to ten "breasts" on their bellies (I think they actually have 8 breasts and 10 nipples, but I might be mistaken). Regardless. Most herbivores nurse their young from udders between their hind legs. I'm pretty sure Al Bundy didn't read "Udder 'Uns."

Herbivores digest cellulose. Human beings do not. Some herbivores have several stomachs that allow them to break down cellulose efficiently. When was the last time anyone here saw a human being chew his/her cud?

Human beings have guts of moderate length. Herbivores tend to have very long or complex guts, including those multiple stomachs at times, to aid in the digestion of cellulose. Our guts are neither as long as herbivores or as short as carnivores. That in itself would suggest an omnivorous diet.

Herbivores are born capable of walking and running within minutes of their birth. Human beings, like other omnivores, are born with poor vision and essentially undeveloped. We are slightly more developed than carnivorous animals or to omnivores closer to carnivorous. Feline and canine species, after all, are born with sealed ears and eyes, whereas human beings have limited vision and can hear.

So, whether you argue the existence of God or not--and I believe that God exists and is the Creator--it would seem logical that we were physiologically "meant" to eat meat. We might not die without it, but most vegans take a boatload of supplements. In my opinion, most vegans don't look healthy, especially those who have been at it for a while or those who claim to have active lifestyles. To me, that would speak to them having a less than adequate diet *for the species* even if they can sustain themselves quiet adequately on what they eat.

This was very informative and well written! Thanks!
  • Nexgear
    Nexgear Posts: 16
    Options
    Wow I can so relate to this. My wife has this one friend who always tries to make us feel bad about eating meat whenever we go out together. She'll say stuff like, "Eating dead animal flesh is really bad for your energy, you two should really try..." blah blah blah. I don't tell anybody else how to eat, so when I'm out with friends, I prefer to eat what I like without being hassled about it.
  • seabirdie12
    seabirdie12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Some people think it's unethical or inappropriate for women to show their hair in public. Someone who follows a certain religion very closely might be instructed by their holy texts to shun others who don't have the same beliefs. Just because we think differently doesn't mean we can't co-exist - a society doesn't evolve as a whole if they allow semantic labels to divide them and cause animosity.

But, I'm glad you're not throwing blanket statements out because you've "heard enough from animal rights people". This ethical vegan thinks and speaks otherwise.

Don't feed the troll.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

So you think that all the anti-animal agriculture bills in various states and new laws that are making animal production of any kind difficult are written by omnivores and animal welfare proponents? Are you admitting that "ethical" veganism is a religion? If you're not, then the first part of your statement is a non sequitur.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

Don't feed the troll.

Interesting definition of troll: don't discuss things with someone who disagrees with you. It's a valid perspective and one that can be mentioned because of the pressure being put upon the OP to conform to the alternate lifestyle.
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of carrying bacon around. When your friends/family start their vegan rant, reach into your pocket and grab a piece. Take a big bite and say, "Yuuuummmmm, Bacon. That's why" But I'm passive aggressive.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Thankfully, my vegan friends don't push it on others, but I have friends doing MLM businesses who are just as bad. I have a feeling the trick to getting people to back off on both is the same, but I can't figure out what it is ...
  • Drea_ann
    Drea_ann Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but kind of opposite when people try to offer me wheat products. I, in no way try to tell them to give up wheat, but when we are out at dinner they constantly say well just try a bite, it won't really hurt you, you'll be fine. I think at some point you just have to get the courage to say please stop asking me, you eat how you want to and I will eat how I want to.

Don't be afraid to stand up for your self.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for about 3 years and I have to say that aggressive vegan people always annoyed me. I'm not sure how they think they are going to convert anyone by being acting that way. I don't think you have to explain yourself at all, just tell them you would prefer that they keep thier opinions to themselves. They should lead by example. Besides, you DID give it a try and it didn't work for you. When I changed my mindset to an all whole foods diet I started eating everything again. It just didn't make sense to me to eat some artificial stuff to take the place of something else when I could get organic, humanely raised animal products from a number of local and reputable family farms. I'm healthier for making those changes. I respect those who choose to follow a vegan lifestyle and would never tell someone they should not be vegan if that's what works for them. You certainly can be healthy by following that lifestyle. They should show others the same respect.