Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Seafood, fresh organic produce, and meat! WTF!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Pork and avocado.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Seafood, for sure. And $4 for a head of cauliflower is stupid.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    Meat-It can be so expensive, especially for a family of 7.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Almost everything at the grocery store - $5 lb for brussel sprouts, $4 head for cauliflower, $4 for a pack of greens, $2 ea for red pepper, $2-$5 lb for mushrooms. $30 lb for fresh fish, $20 lb for antibiotic free meat.

This is why we garden, raise chickens, fish and hunt.
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Strawberries. They wanted $5. I know it's off season, but still. I recently discovered a local business that you can get fruit and veggie baskets from for $25 a week. I split it with my coworker, but it lasts me the entire week and it's got awesome stuff in it. This week - even strawberries!

Cherries. I guess fresh fruit and veggies in general!

Also, steak.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    fresh produce tends to be expensive here in the uk

would love to do a nice bit of lamb on the weekend but cant justify £7+ for a small joint

my partner has decided he wants to grow vegetables this spring/summer and has been looking into small fruit trees too, hey he can take as much of the garden as he wants along with his allotment, more savings for me

the convinience foods seem so cheap in comparison. 4 sausage rolls for £1, biscuits for 50p etc. would prefer savings on the produce

i also go round the reduced counter looking for bargins to freeze but these days they seem to only knock off a few pence
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Usually don't get upset with food prices, what pisses me off are the people who shop with welfare, don't work, and have 6 kids. I can't stand that *kitten*.

Well those 6 kids gotta eat, regardless of how you feel about their parents.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    LC458 wrote: »
    Asparagus $8.99 swear :noway: but I can buy a bag of chips for $1.50! Score!! :laugh:

@LC458

THIS Is why America has an obesity problem. You are SO right.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Mandarin oranges. Thanks to that brilliant cutie's campaign my kids are addicted. They cost $8 a bag.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Lean beef, good quality yogurt, fruit other than bananas.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Usually don't get upset with food prices, what pisses me off are the people who shop with welfare, don't work, and have 6 kids. I can't stand that *kitten*.

Well those 6 kids gotta eat, regardless of how you feel about their parents.

Well said.

I don't get too upset about food prices, I shop at Aldi, everything is pretty reasonable.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »
    LC458 wrote: »
    Asparagus $8.99 swear :noway: but I can buy a bag of chips for $1.50! Score!! :laugh:

@LC458

THIS Is why America has an obesity problem. You are SO right.

I agree that it doesn't help.

At the top of my head... $4 for a small cauliflower, $8 for a container of Fage, $2 for an avocado, $4 a pound of Brussel Sprouts, $2 a pound of apples (which is what.. 2 apples?), $3 a pound of peppers, $3 or more for 4oz of berries (off season, I know).

Lean ground beef too. Yikes. And chicken breast often $3.69 a pound (then 1/3 of the package is fat you have to trim off).

Bleh. Then you can buy boxes of Mac and Cheese that feed 4 for $1.
  • alienbabyjen
    alienbabyjen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Avocados and lemons at $1 each, $3.50 for a not-quite-medium-sized head of cauliflower, $5 or more for a pound of lean hamburger, $8 a pound for salmon. Thankfully potatoes are super cheap here, and unfrozen chicken of various parts is usually on sale for $.99 - $1.50 a pound somewhere around town. So yeah, chicken and potato for us.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Beef. Even stew beef is 7 or 8$ a pound here and it's the unwanted bits full of gristle they trim off the good steaks. We eat very little beef now. For those prices I get lamb or crab legs instead when the budget allows.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Seafood. I would love to eat more fish and shrimp, but can't afford it.
  • LaLa_Ventura
    LaLa_Ventura Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Salmon and shrimp.

Also trying to figure out what's going on with asparagus prices?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Asparagus, brussel sprouts, mangos, shrimp, strawberries... and meat! Even chicken is so expensive here :\
  • jjkerel
    jjkerel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I checked my receipt after i left the store yesterday and saw that my grapes had cost me 9 dollars. For a regular size bag. And asparagus (which i checked befire grabbing and subsequently didnt buy) was 8.

Ridiculous. And I live in the middle of nowhere with only one grocery store for 40+ miles so its not like i can shop around...
  • lecanto1
    lecanto1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Paid $3.38 for a small head of cauliflower this week at Sam's club, and I thought that was high. After reading this, I guess not. Going to look into frozen cauliflower prices, though, cause I am the only one who eats it. It went a little brown before I finished it, & I hate it when food goes bad. Hate wasting food.