Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    xomorganjc wrote: »
    Grapes :( it was like $11-$13 for a small bag - so frustrating!

It's the middle of January. They *should* be expensive, unless you live in the southern hemisphere.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    watermelon during the winter is nuts same with cauliflower , grapes and portobellos
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago, my local supermarket wanted $7 for a cauliflower. For a freaking CAULIFLOWER!

Cherry tomatoes are damned expensive, and so easy to grow, so I go without in the off season and have plants on my balcony in the growing season.

i'll only eat cherry toms I grow myself. Sun ripened, nothing like it
  • michaelcynarski
    Options
    Everything.... Just saying this time last year ground beef was 1.48 now its 4$ per lab, broccoli head large 90 cents now 2$ a pound..... At least raspberries and blackberries are cheapish atm. Apasauguss went from 1.99-2.99 up to 5.99-7.99, yikes!!!!!
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    anything gluten free...a loaf of bread here is $6!!! 3 coeliacs in 1 house.... :neutral_face:
  • Cathalain wrote: »
    Ugh, I forgot. Bananas are getting WAY expensive, too. They were 75 cents a pound the last time I went to the grocery store. That doesn't sound like a lot, but when they were as low as 40 cents a pound only 2 months ago....

Do you live by a trader joes!!? Bananas are 19cents each, comes out to about 34-38 cents a pound depending on the size of the banana!
  • jrenee514 wrote: »
    Just paid almost 8 bucks for a net of Babybel cheese and I thought that was outrageous. Maybe I'm just cheap.

That is OUTRAGEOUS! Trader joes has a good price on babybel cheeses! Under 4 bucks a net.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    HERBS. Why are herbs so expensive. I want to make a meal with fresh herbs, I have to pay like $2 for a small packet of each one.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    eatsyork wrote: »
    Grass-fed beef - from $7 for 1 lb ground to $40 for 1 lb of higher grade tenderloin

There is very little nutritional difference between "grass fed" and feedlot beef.
    Potentially true, if you ignore fat content.

The difference in fat levels between grass and feedlot fed is trivial compared to the difference between either and wild game. Nothing raised in a pasture is going to be particularly "natural".

People may as well pick based on taste and price preferences.
    Sorry, the era of the auroch is over, not relevant.

There is a significant difference between grass fed and grain fed if you're talking fat content. There is further difference if you talk industrial vs small producer.

Your thoughts about pastures make me think you are an urbanite.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    dates
  • firebloom
    firebloom Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Berries, cheese and tomatoes are the really expensive things that I like to eat. I haven't bought berries in yonks because the prices are insane. They're in season in Australia and it's still about $7 for a tiny punnet of blueberries. I just don't buy them which is sad because I do like them a lot.
  • MikeSanchez2323
    MikeSanchez2323 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes this happens to me all the time!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    eatsyork wrote: »
    Grass-fed beef - from $7 for 1 lb ground to $40 for 1 lb of higher grade tenderloin

There is very little nutritional difference between "grass fed" and feedlot beef.
    Potentially true, if you ignore fat content.

The difference in fat levels between grass and feedlot fed is trivial compared to the difference between either and wild game. Nothing raised in a pasture is going to be particularly "natural".

People may as well pick based on taste and price preferences.
    Sorry, the era of the auroch is over, not relevant.

There is a significant difference between grass fed and grain fed if you're talking fat content. There is further difference if you talk industrial vs small producer.

Your thoughts about pastures make me think you are an urbanite.

I raise free range (really free range) heritage breed pigs. "Friends and family" use and supply a very small number of premium restaurants in the area. Make the best bacon within...a wide radius. Expanding into wider range of charcuterie this fall.

The nutritional differences are not significant - sorry.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Meat. Poultry. Fish. Fruit. Vegetables. Cereal. I think I will start a small farm... Zoning laws be darned.
  • reesrachel00
    Options
    I am quite blessed where I am in Wales, pretty much everything is on offer all the time and hubby and I always shop at the end of the working day where a lot of the food we buy reduces in price for a quick sale.. passion fruit can be a pain to find, its not always there which really compliments fresh salmon, which most of the time is 1/2 or a 1/3rd off the price, but at full price its really expensive, we love the wild Atlantic salmon!
  • transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Since moving to New Zealand I have been shocked with some of the prices down here.

$12 for 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of tomatoes in the winter. Good luck with making salad.

$40 for 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of limes in the summer. Lime margaritas in the sun? LOL.

Yet I can't complain about the prices of avocados because they're dirt cheap compared to Canada!
  • transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Nobody in the USA should ever complain about food prices. We are spoiled here. In fact I wish prices on certain things were much higher (because we should be cancelling certain food subsidies which keep prices artificially low).

Food in Canada is overall more expensive than in the States, but I still agree with this statement. After living in both Korea and New Zealand, I took prices in North America for granted. Quality of life and food in NZ is much better, but ouch does it ever hurt your wallet.
  • eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    3 pomegranates came to $12.00 the other night. I also LOVE greens like swiss chard and spinach... but I find I am looking at $4 just to have a meal with it.
  • eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Fresh raspberries and blackberries. $5 for the world's tiniest container that I could easily eat in a sitting.
    SO TRUE!! I love when they are on sale like 2 for $5 or $2 per container. I recently got a bunch of frozen berries on sale for $3 a bag and put a cup of them in my 0% plain greek yogurt and leave it over night and eat it at work the next morning. DELICIOUS!!!

PS: GREEK YOGURT! It is $6-$7 for a large container. UGH!
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I try not to think about it and focus on building a bigger garden each year. Last yer was our first year in a new home, but I was able to can tomato sauce, and zucchini, as well as storing onions and garlic, and all the blackberries I could want.

I guess the price of organic food is scary to me. I used to eat all organics, but now I don't feel I can afford it.