Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    eatsyork wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    what does a happy chicken look like?

It doesn't have it's beak seared off to prevent pecking when it is jammed into a small cage with a hundred other birds with no room to take a step. It has access to run around on grass. It isn't surrounded by carcasses of birds dead from infections from living in their own filth. That sort of thing. Industrial egg farming can be pretty rough. Really, though, the thread is about food prices, not farming practices.
    Well no, you're just describing a chicken under less stress. That's not a matter of happiness.
    Robin1109 wrote: »
    Wait, vegetarians eat cheese?

Yes, sometimes. Vegans don't.
    hm, ok. Is that like legit vegetarians are cool with it, or is this a pogue thing, like the "vegetarians" that only avoid mammal flesh?

They are the ones not trying to peck your eyes out. And I'm not joking.
    My neighbors have some chickens, end up in my yard often enough. I'd probably snap its neck if it tried to peck me in the eye.
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Grass-fed beef - from $7 for 1 lb ground to $40 for 1 lb of higher grade tenderloin

There is very little nutritional difference between "grass fed" and feedlot beef.
    Potentially true, if you ignore fat content.

The difference in fat levels between grass and feedlot fed is trivial compared to the difference between either and wild game. Nothing raised in a pasture is going to be particularly "natural".

People may as well pick based on taste and price preferences.
    Sorry, the era of the auroch is over, not relevant.

There is a significant difference between grass fed and grain fed if you're talking fat content. There is further difference if you talk industrial vs small producer.

Your thoughts about pastures make me think you are an urbanite.

I raise free range (really free range) heritage breed pigs. "Friends and family" use and supply a very small number of premium restaurants in the area. Make the best bacon within...a wide radius. Expanding into wider range of charcuterie this fall.

The nutritional differences are not significant - sorry.

If you don't think fat/lean mix is a nutritional difference, then that's a matter of your beliefs being held over reality.

I didn't say there was no difference - I said there was no meaningful difference.

Compare any kind of farmed pig to a wild boar - now there's a difference, nutritionally and every other way.

So now we're comparing conventional husbandry and breeding to wild ferals and russian imports? I would offer this bit of friendly advice, based on a wasted project of mine, do not make prosciutto or a country ham from a feral/wild boar. It's straight wasted effort.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I'm pretty willing to splurge on healthy food or any food item I'm having a hankering for, it's really one of my obsessions to go nuts on my health. BUT, Coconut butter and almond butter--top notch quality, are ridiculous. I priced an 8 oz jar of coconut butter at like almost 14$ !!!!!!!! I grind my own almond butter at Whole Foods for about $8. Nuts in general are pretty pricey. Ok, rant over

costco, trader joes. both bomber for great prices on coconut oil.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I was at the store at lunch and a small tub of fresh green peas (already shelled) was $8.99. Whaaaaaaat?!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Trader Joes, those are 3.99
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    *sob* we don't have Trader Joes...
  • dbmata
    Options
    That's a true bummer.
  • missgamer84
    missgamer84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I work in a grocery store so I try and get fruits and vegetables when they are on sale, otherwise most are out of my price range :/ I love Blackberries and grapes but they are usually around 6-7 bucks each, oranges are usually about $1.50 each too. Most of the time its a choice between buying lots of health food or paying my bills :'(
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Organic strawberries this time of year. Also the nice peanut butter. I used to think it was expensive @ 5 bucks a jar. I can't find it under 7 now.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Some fresh fruits; honeycrisp apples and Thompson green grapes come to mind. The apples were $3.79 per pound and the grapes were $3.99 per pound. That's simply nuts.
  • _celesse
    _celesse Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey. $4 for 16-20oz. Maybe I'm cheap. Canned black beans 'cause ain't nobody got time for the bags - $1.50~ for ONE can. Meanwhile Ravioli goes 10/$10 lol. Cold cuts! Unless you buy the sh*tty cheap economy cold cuts, $5-6 for the regular high sodium crap, and $7 plus for the less sodium crap.

I'm actually trying to figure out where/if I can buy Boar's Head deli meats with lower sodium. They're the lowest I've found but I have no idea where to get them. :/

Pomegranates were like $2 each last time I saw 'em, but I think that's when they were out of season.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Wait, vegetarians eat cheese?
    yes, vegetarians eat cheese, milk, and eggs. No fish, meat, or fowl.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    $2.99 for a head of iceburg AND it's crazy small. Used to be .99 or a lil over $1.00 at the most.

$1.99 for celery as opposed to $.77. Cherry tomatoes are ridiculous to except when on sale. Even bananas have gone up. They were $.57 and now $.69.

I feel like babybel has gone up as well, but i only buy sometimes so not sure, but it felt more expensive.

PURE JUICES are 2x as expensive as their "Punch/Medley" versions.

Whole oats are now MORE expensive than the processed packets in grocery stores, but still a good price at the bulk store.

Natural whole almonds are $4.99/lb, up from $3.99/lb

Berries are pricey except for one store where I can usually get them 2 for $3. The downfall is they are delicioous the first couple days, but then go bad quicker. We just have to use em up fast. Otherwise we pay a premium price elsewhere or buy frozen (which is only good for smoothies really)

Asparagus is ALWAYS expensive except in season and I love asparagus but refuse to buy except in season :/

My weekly bill has almost doubled since i started making and buying healthier foods. Thankfully we can afford it, but I really feel for those who can't and feel we shouldn't have to pay a premium for healthy choices.

Can't wait until spring/summer when local produce is plentiful (and delicious)

ETA: YES Greek Yogurt is so much more expensive than regular. I stock up when Oikos goes on sale!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Grass-fed beef - from $7 for 1 lb ground to $40 for 1 lb of higher grade tenderloin

There is very little nutritional difference between "grass fed" and feedlot beef.

Antibiotics are not vitamins.

Grass-fed does not mean antibiotic-free.

In fact, grass-fed doesn't even preclude finishing the animal in a conventional feed lot.

I think you are wrong here. It does not mean no antibiotics, but I'm pretty sure grass fed on the label (in the US) means the cattle can only be fed mother's milk and forage during their lifetime. The forage can be from grazing or from hay or other stored forage, but it could not include corn, which is used in a convential feed lot.

Conventional feedlots also use hay, alfaalfa, etc. IE, "pasture" grasses. Grass fed does not mean pastured, in the sense people usually mean - beef can be (and is) raised in complete confinement and still qualify as grass fed.

I know what the label means (I linked the definition). I still I doubt there is any grass fed beef finished on a conventional feed lot. I'd have to see some proof. Otherwise we are at an 'agree to disagree' standstill.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm still annoyed at the outrageous price of cauliflower... $2.99 or $3.99 for a tiny head. I love the stuff!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

My neighbors have some chickens, end up in my yard often enough. I'd probably snap its neck if it tried to peck me in the eye.

I have chickens. A mad hen is not something to mess with (ever heard the term 'mad as a wet hen'?). A mad rooster is even worse. Best to keep the birds happy or keep your distance.
  • dbmata
    Options

I have chickens. A mad hen is not something to mess with (ever heard the term 'mad as a wet hen'?). A mad rooster is even worse. Best to keep the birds happy or keep your distance.
    I hunt birds, and I have a bird cone attached to my garage. ;) However, in all my days, I've not heard that saying, it's funny.

Now I've been told wild turkeys are like the wu tang clan. I'm prone to agree.
  • dbmata
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Antibiotics are not vitamins.

Grass-fed does not mean antibiotic-free.

In fact, grass-fed doesn't even preclude finishing the animal in a conventional feed lot.

I think you are wrong here. It does not mean no antibiotics, but I'm pretty sure grass fed on the label (in the US) means the cattle can only be fed mother's milk and forage during their lifetime. The forage can be from grazing or from hay or other stored forage, but it could not include corn, which is used in a convential feed lot.

Conventional feedlots also use hay, alfaalfa, etc. IE, "pasture" grasses. Grass fed does not mean pastured, in the sense people usually mean - beef can be (and is) raised in complete confinement and still qualify as grass fed.

I know what the label means (I linked the definition). I still I doubt there is any grass fed beef finished on a conventional feed lot. I'd have to see some proof. Otherwise we are at an 'agree to disagree' standstill.

Yup, you're not going to find "grass finished" coming from a conventional feed lot. Feed lots exist to pack on mass amounts of fat. (Far more than the claimed, trivial differences.) you don't do that with grass, you do that with grain.

Just like with us.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    90 calorie granola bars...

Why even bother? Regular granola bars are only 100 calories and come 10 to a box. 90 calorie granola bars cost more and come 8 to a box. Dumbest thing I ever saw.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Asparagus $4.99/lb

Siggi's Greek yogurt $1.79 per tiny container

Blueberries were $8.99 the other week

Salmon anywhere from $13.99-$17.99/lb

Avocados $1.79 each

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes. They're not worth eating in Winter anyway, they're bland hothouse tomatoes until Summer around here. But when Summer does come the prices make me cry.