Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• airmedic8
    airmedic8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you have an ALDI near you go there for produce. FYI Trader Joes owns ALDI...Dont believe me look it up
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    jrenee514 wrote: »
    Just paid almost 8 bucks for a net of Babybel cheese and I thought that was outrageous. Maybe I'm just cheap.

No. You are not cheap. I never buy the stuff. There are much cheaper cheeses out there.

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    ellivort wrote: »
    $2.99 for a head of iceburg AND it's crazy small. Used to be .99 or a lil over $1.00 at the most.

$1.99 for celery as opposed to $.77. Cherry tomatoes are ridiculous to except when on sale. Even bananas have gone up. They were $.57 and now $.69.

I feel like babybel has gone up as well, but i only buy sometimes so not sure, but it felt more expensive.

PURE JUICES are 2x as expensive as their "Punch/Medley" versions.

Whole oats are now MORE expensive than the processed packets in grocery stores, but still a good price at the bulk store.

Natural whole almonds are $4.99/lb, up from $3.99/lb

Berries are pricey except for one store where I can usually get them 2 for $3. The downfall is they are delicioous the first couple days, but then go bad quicker. We just have to use em up fast. Otherwise we pay a premium price elsewhere or buy frozen (which is only good for smoothies really)

Asparagus is ALWAYS expensive except in season and I love asparagus but refuse to buy except in season :/

My weekly bill has almost doubled since i started making and buying healthier foods. Thankfully we can afford it, but I really feel for those who can't and feel we shouldn't have to pay a premium for healthy choices.

Can't wait until spring/summer when local produce is plentiful (and delicious)

ETA: YES Greek Yogurt is so much more expensive than regular. I stock up when Oikos goes on sale!

We absolutely should not have to be advised to eat organic, etc. in order to be healthy in this country. What in the world is wrong that the general food supply is not safe, and that we are accepting of that????
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Oh that reminds me. Horse meat.

Not only is it like $15-25 a pound, you have to have someone go to canada to bring it back. >_<
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    granola. seriously. WHY.
  • dbmata
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    granola. seriously. WHY.
    dude, considering how caloric that shizz is, and how non-satiating it is... I've written it off completely.
  • AMTaylor1980
    AMTaylor1980 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Used to be beef until I found a farmer nearby and my BF bought half a cow. Now it's seafood. Across the board - shrimp, scallops, fish - they are 25-50% this year than I remember last year!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    granola. seriously. WHY.
    dude, considering how caloric that shizz is, and how non-satiating it is... I've written it off completely.

yeah- I don't buy it.
    at all.
    which makes me a little sad- because it IS delicious- and I LURV it in my yogurt- but no- trade off price/calorie wise- WAY to effing expensive.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    airmedic8 wrote: »
    If you have an ALDI near you go there for produce. FYI Trader Joes owns ALDI...Dont believe me look it up

Sorry, you have it the wrong way round, Aldi own Trader Joes
  • JoRocka
    Options
    farway wrote: »
    airmedic8 wrote: »

Sorry, you have it the wrong way round, Aldi own Trader Joes

They are affiliated companies- does it REALLY matter who owns who?
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    xomorganjc wrote: »
    Grapes :( it was like $11-$13 for a small bag - so frustrating!

It's the middle of January. They *should* be expensive, unless you live in the southern hemisphere.

I'm still getting local grapes in California. They're about the same price year round ($3.50-$4/lb). About the same as the Chilean grapes I can get, too.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    granola. seriously. WHY.

Me too. Instead, I buy Bob's Red Mill Muesli. Huge bags very cheap through amazon. Lasts a long time and tastes great any way you prepare it. And no added sugar (which I try to minimize).
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    granola. seriously. WHY.

I'm in love with the Kind peanut butter granola. $8/bag at the store. 3 for $11 on Amazon.

• dbmata
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    granola. seriously. WHY.

I'm in love with the Kind peanut butter granola. $8/bag at the store. 3 for $11 on Amazon.
    You should have it with a spoon of peanut butter. Just to say, EFF YOU NUTRITIONAL COHERENCE!

lol.

God I miss granola. When I finally get to a point I can bulk, I'm going to eat it.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    granola. seriously. WHY.

Bear Naked honey almond protein granola… 140 calories per 30 grams, 12 grams of carbs, 10 grams of protein. Bam!
  • sofaking6
    Options
    granola. seriously. WHY.

You should have it with a spoon of peanut butter. Just to say, EFF YOU NUTRITIONAL COHERENCE!

lol.

God I miss granola. When I finally get to a point I can bulk, I'm going to eat it.

I only get to have the granola because only a teensy bit fits into the yogurt container.

My family really likes to make granola. By "my family" I mean all of them but me. Last year I got granola for hannukah. And a babka. WTF. Theirs seems to be mostly roasted oats with honey.
  • dbmata
    Options
    granola. seriously. WHY.

Bear Naked honey almond protein granola… 140 calories per 30 grams, 12 grams of carbs, 10 grams of protein. Bam!

If only, lady... that's what, a 28 gram serving? ;)
  • dbmata
    Options
    granola. seriously. WHY.

lol.

I only get to have the granola because only a teensy bit fits into the yogurt container.

My family really likes to make granola. By "my family" I mean all of them but me. Last year I got granola for hannukah. And a babka. WTF. Theirs seems to be mostly roasted oats with honey.
    uhm, I woulda been down with a babka. lol.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    granola. seriously. WHY.

lol.

Next year I'll forward it on to you. I really tried to find a taker but I don't think I sold it right.

• dbmata
    Options
    granola. seriously. WHY.

lol.

Next year I'll forward it on to you. I really tried to find a taker but I don't think I sold it right.

Oh man, hit it for a week with a little rum.

Deliciousness straight from russia.