• Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    berries ;-;
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Grass-fed butter - $6 for 1/2 lb
    Grass-fed beef - from $7 for 1 lb ground to $40 for 1 lb of higher grade tenderloin
    Pastured eggs - $7/dozen

I still generally buy these things but I dream about the money I would save if I bought conventional products more often.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    5$ canadian for romane lettuce

Yikes! Where in Canada are you? In Toronto it's maybe $2.50 max for a big bunch, but I go to Fresh Co.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    eatsyork wrote: »
    Grass-fed butter - $6 for 1/2 lb
    Grass-fed beef - from $7 for 1 lb ground to $40 for 1 lb of higher grade tenderloin
    Pastured eggs - $7/dozen

I still generally buy these things but I dream about the money I would save if I bought conventional products more often.

How do you know that the pastured eggs are really from free roaming hens since there is no legal standard for labelling? At least there is not in the US.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ... you don't. Most of the time it's just a label slapped on without any real standard.

Unless you're buying off of Craigslist
  • mandahon3
    Options
    mandahon3 wrote: »
    HerkMeOff wrote: »
    Milk.

Milk is almost $4 a gallon, and I live in Wisconsin. I can't imagine what people are paying other places....

Where are you buying milk? I get skim for $2.79 a gallon at Kwik Trip. It's $2.38 if you buy the bags instead of the jugs. You're less than 30 minutes from me, so prices shouldn't be that different!

I usually buy milk from Kwik Trip, but if you go to Festival, it is closer to $4
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    It pisses me off that the healthiest, least processed, least "fooled around with" food, is the most expensive.

I grow what I have time for and can in my area. I have a lime tree that had its first good year, I grated off the peel and froze to have the zest on hand, then I peeled and put the rest through the blender, and froze in cubes.

Tomatoes are producing now. Trying to get some chard going.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It pisses me off that the healthiest, least processed, least "fooled around with" food, is the most expensive.

Meh, I don't actually find this to be true. Fresh produce and quality meats are outrageous, but bags of chips are $4+ dollars a bag. Even generic brand chips are usually $2.50 a bag. One low quality chocolate bar is $1-$2. Higher quality chocolates are outrageous. Box of something like Hamburger Helper is $3 and you still have to buy the expensive ground meat!

Some of the best bargains in the store are healthy options like dried beans, frozen fruits and vegetables. Some vegetables like carrots and onions are consistently affordable, and apples are always pretty cheap here ($2 for a 2 lb bag). Eggs are about $1.50 - $2 a dozen, I think.

It's possible to eat healthy on the cheap, you just might not always be able to eat the stuff you like best.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Clementines. 3# for 6.99
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    DataSeven wrote: »
    I hate that the baked chips or snacks cost more than the regular ones, even though you get less in the bag. WHY? Is it because they know people who are watching their intake will pay more? It doesn't seem fair that they take advantage of people who are trying to eat well and bypassing the crap.

Are you really "bypassing the crap" by eating baked chips?

Lays Classic Ingredients: Potatoes, Sunflower or Corn Oil, Salt
    535 Calories per 100 grams

Baked Lays Ingredients: Dried Potatoes, Cornstarch, Sugar, Corn Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Corn Sugar
    428 Calories per 100 grams

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Lentils, rice and beans are some of the cheapest foods in the store.

• Mr_Knight
    Options

There is very little nutritional difference between "grass fed" and feedlot beef.

• AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My green juice that I like to have at breakfast is $6. $6 on top of whatever food I'm eating! Before 7am!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

There is very little nutritional difference between "grass fed" and feedlot beef.

Antibiotics are not vitamins.

• Mr_Knight
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Antibiotics are not vitamins.

Grass-fed does not mean antibiotic-free.

In fact, grass-fed doesn't even preclude finishing the animal in a conventional feed lot.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Mof3wc wrote: »
    The prices that really piss me off are:
    $18.99/bag of cup4cup gluten free flour. (Not optional, I have a celiac kiddo)
    Berries - $5/small container on average
    Lunch meat - $3/100g for turkey.
    Whole roasting chickens!! - between $15-$20 per chicken.
    $4.99 for 1 pomegranate
    $8/small bag of grapes.

Wow, try buying your flour from King Arthur Flour online. They have many Gluten free items on their site.

• flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I like my white fish. I have been buying Swai fillets for a long time from my local grocer, but they stopped selling it, claiming they are now endangered. After researching the subject, I find the claim is bogus. It is getting more popular in the US, so I would suppose they will bring it back at double the price. If I am going to eat fish 3X a week, it hits my pocketbook HARD. And this is a coastal state I live in. It just goes to show that high income people can easily get the foods they love and their bodies need, but if you can't pony up the dough, it's sardines and soda crackers...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Potentially true, if you ignore fat content.

Let's not even discuss taste.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Potentially true, if you ignore fat content.

The difference in fat levels between grass and feedlot fed is trivial compared to the difference between either and wild game. Nothing raised in a pasture is going to be particularly "natural".

People may as well pick based on taste and price preferences.

• xomorganjc
    xomorganjc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Grapes :( it was like $11-$13 for a small bag - so frustrating!