Cat needs a fitness pal

Options
Hi!
Boogie, a 3-year old neutered male, thick double coat, brown fur, and green eyes IS GUARDING the fridge 24/7, even now as I type. I am still trying to figure out how the F word sounds like in cat language, cuz Boogie is definitely cussing all the time as he yells at me some gibberish, even now as I type. Took him to the vet, turns out he is perfectly healthy. I was told the cat simply manipulates me and I shouldn't give up - but at 3 in the morning, i just can't... So, I decided to quit being a sissy, and feed him properly. What I need to know:
1) How many calories, carbs, fats, proteins must a cat consume daily? Boogie is not fat, at least no yet, but he is slightly overweight in my opinion. Another thing, he refuses to exercise, or in fact he refuses to step away from the fridge.
2) Has anyone used myfitnesspal before for their pet? If so, please share the details. Did you find it effective? What problems, if any, did you stumble upon using this app for your pet? etc.
3) Any alternative methods? Ideas?
4) We live on the first floor. My fear is that if I restrict Boogie's calorie intake, he might go and find a place to "dine out". The cat is crazy - he currently eats over 1000 calories a day, and demands more! I feed him cooked food (afraid of parasites) for carnivores. Most of the time I make beef meet balls with 1/3 of vegetables or salad leafs. I feed him fish, and he likes an occasional fruit or a tomato. I don't give him milk, because there is so much controversy surrounding it, and it also makes cats' fur fall out - that I know from personal experience.
Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    How many hours per day is said cat getting chased?
  • prefabsey
    prefabsey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think you meant to post this on meowfitnesspal. That site helped my Mittens lose 10 pounds - would highly recommend.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

this is a good question.

a lot of people recommend the book "starting strength: for cats".
    check it out and get your feline family on a solid lifting regimen.

edited to add another resource: "NROLFC" lotsa success with that one.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Make sure your cat gets fitted for running shoes and starts with a Cat Tree 2 5K program
  • skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You need to calculate his BMI, his BMR, his TDEE, his body fat ratios, height, weight, and fur length. Add it all together, divide it by 7.358, and then add back 0.7 for each gram pf protein he eats per 1 kg body mass (but you need to know his mass WITHOUT FUR, because that will speed up his metabolism of course). When you have done that, the answer will be the meaning of life (as long as it does not fall below his BMR - make sure he eats back half his exercise calories to avoid this, except on Wednesdays).

Hope that helps.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I think you should put him on a weightwhiskers diet.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Does he have a catnip problem? It gave my kitty (he was heavy too) the munchies. My poor, heavy stoner cat.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    You should get him a heavy bag, so he can punch out his frustrations of not getting to eat what he wants.

funny-gif-cat-exercise-gym-scratcher_zps7a891e51.gif
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    lol at 'that I know from personal experience'... Is that you boogie??
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Mini trampoline. You're welcome.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I have a hedgehog on my FL. Maybe your cat should send her a request.

Good luck on your journey.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Cannot wait for the people gifs to start showing up. Hopefully Bob Barker stops by later for his announcement; and make sure your Tabby reads the links in here by Kitty SideSteel, and Cat LadySara across the pond.
  • mslovecats
    mslovecats Posts: 49
    Options
    I think you meant to post this on meowfitnesspal. That site helped my Mittens lose 10 pounds - would highly recommend.
    Can you give a link? Or is it just a joke? 10 pounds is a lot. That's like a entire cat by itself.
  • mslovecats
    Options
    LOLZZZZ He doesn't move. He sits there starring at the fridge as if it was a pile of gold. He has "fridge fever".
  • mslovecats
    Options

this is a good question.

a lot of people recommend the book "starting strength: for cats".
    check it out and get your feline family on a solid lifting regimen.

edited to add another resource: "NROLFC" lotsa success with that one.

Thanks a bunch for replying. Can't find what NROLFC is. The cat is so darn lazy... Doesn't react towards butterflies passing by - not enough calories in em, I guess...
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If you have ever seen that cat psychology guy (my cat from hell...I think) on animal planet, you would know...obesity in cats is normally the number 1 reason he names for why the cat is so badly behaved. If you don't get him on a life style change quick you may have a devil cat living with you soon. Good luck and I wish the best for you....those cats on that show are SCARY :frown:
  • mslovecats
    Options
    You need to calculate his BMI, his BMR, his TDEE, his body fat ratios, height, weight, and fur length. Add it all together, divide it by 7.358, and then add back 0.7 for each gram pf protein he eats per 1 kg body mass (but you need to know his mass WITHOUT FUR, because that will speed up his metabolism of course). When you have done that, the answer will be the meaning of life (as long as it does not fall below his BMR - make sure he eats back half his exercise calories to avoid this, except on Wednesdays).

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for replying. He is 7 kg, and how do I measure his height or should it be length? if so, should I measure with or without tail?
  • mslovecats
    Options
    :)
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you have ever seen that cat psychology guy (my cat from hell...I think) on animal planet, you would know...obesity in cats is normally the number 1 reason he names for why the cat is so badly behaved. If you don't get him on a life style change quick you may have a devil cat living with you soon. Good luck and I wish the best for you....those cats on that show are SCARY :frown:

I love Jackson Galaxy!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Mini trampoline. You're welcome.

I'll see your trampoline and raise you a cleanse, you know, toxins