Cat needs a fitness pal

Options

Replies

• redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You're right, commercial pet food is awful. But you're not doing much better feeding your cat cooked meat. Please consider a vegetarian diet for your pet. Anything else is just cruel, to your pet and the animals you're feeding it.:sad:

http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/vegetarian-cats-dogs/

www.vegepet.com

NO. cats and dogs are not herbivores.
  • mslovecats
    mslovecats Posts: 49
    Options
    You're right, commercial pet food is awful. But you're not doing much better feeding your cat cooked meat. Please consider a vegetarian diet for your pet. Anything else is just cruel, to your pet and the animals you're feeding it.:sad:

www.vegepet.com

Exactly!
  • skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Are you CRAZY?!? The Atkins diet is awful, there's no WAY he'll meet his macros on that. Don't listen to these dangerous fools.
    He should whole foods ONLY, apart from a good quality mouse protein powder.

Cats are carnivores NOT omnivores, he should be no carb, high protein.....his macros would be way different than a humans. Also don't forget to lose weight a calorie is not a calorie and he must only eat "good foods", any " bad foods" will destroy his diet. Are mice red meat? Maybe an avian diet for lean protein would be better suited.

I THINK you'll find, if you look into it properly, that although mice are red meat they have a very lean and beneficial micronutrient profile and are much lower GI than an avian diet. PLUS, they are more natural - how many chickens do you think cats were DESIGNED to eat? Hmm?
    You are right, te skin and bone calories from a raw mouse diet are just dead, the will pass straight through him. The risk is, he will be actually UNDER his BMR, and enter starvation mode.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Mini trampoline. You're welcome.
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-17847-1323297092-107.gif

But there are many other exercise options for Boogie as well.

Traditional sports...
    LHnUUkT.gif

Vigorous housework...
    Cat-jumps-onto-ceiling-fan.gif

Yoga...
    epic-cat-jump.jpg

Martial arts...
    cat_jump.jpg

"Portaling," a great option for those with limited home gym space...
    43090-Cat-jump-gif-DxBt.gif

Just make sure to include a decent progressive strength training program in the mix.
    4558708766_aba4c79dd8_m.jpg
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    There's a Norse Goddess that hooks her cats up to a chariot and makes them give her rides. Highly recommended workout for the meowverweight.

<-- See??
  • skinnysushicat
    Options
    :)

This isn't really funny, he may be doing PERMANENT DAMAGE to his metabolism. He may even get liver failiure.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Are you CRAZY?!? The Atkins diet is awful, there's no WAY he'll meet his macros on that. Don't listen to these dangerous fools.

Cats are carnivores NOT omnivores, he should be no carb, high protein.....his macros would be way different than a humans. Also don't forget to lose weight a calorie is not a calorie and he must only eat "good foods", any " bad foods" will destroy his diet. Are mice red meat? Maybe an avian diet for lean protein would be better suited.

But I find him the best foods - like french goose pate, and fresh fish and meat balls. I am a vegetarian, so I hate the idea, but cats need to be cats. Anyway, I can't afford myself what I get for him. Only the BEST!

Your cat should be eating Purina Naturals, Taste of The Wild, Friskies, Fancy Feast, etc.
  • skinnysushicat
    Options
    There's a Norse Goddess that hooks her cats up to a chariot and gives her rides. Highly recommended workout for the meowverweight.

It's too muich cardio training, that - he needs to focus on lifting, or we'll never see his abs through all that fur.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

www.vegepet.com

"Some people wonder if it’s “unnatural” to omit meat from the diet of a dog or cat. Animals in the wild commonly eat quite a lot of plant matter. Besides, to feed them the meat that they would naturally eat, you would have to serve them whole mice or birds or allow them to hunt for themselves, an option that is unfair to native species of birds and other small animals, since companion cats and dogs have been removed from the food chain and have advantages that free-roaming animals lack. Vegetarian or vegan dogs and cats enjoy their food and good health, and a vegetarian diet for your companion animal is ethically consistent with animal rights philosophy."
  • mslovecats
    Options

I THINK you'll find, if you look into it properly, that although mice are red meat they have a very lean and beneficial micronutrient profile and are much lower GI than an avian diet. PLUS, they are more natural - how many chickens do you think cats were DESIGNED to eat? Hmm?
    You are right, te skin and bone calories from a raw mouse diet are just dead, the will pass straight through him. The risk is, he will be actually UNDER his BMR, and enter starvation mode.

HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!!!! My cat is at risk of entering a starvation mode? BUAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never. He will simply steal like he always does. Or he'll just devour that Rottweiler next door, who is already afraid of Boogie for some reason. Aggression towards food, maybe.
  • skinnysushicat
    Options

Just make sure to include a decent progressive strength training program in the mix.

^^ This guy knows what he's talking about. He probably uses the same mouse protein shakes as me.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

www.vegepet.com

If you are truly concerned about the welfare of a cat, then you wouldn't do that to them. They are freakin' carnivores.

Ugh. Let's protect nature by messing with it! Yay! Protect them from themselves! Yay!

That's a big Cranky style NO :angry: right there.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

STARVATION mode :noway: this sounds so scary, what would happen to the poor kitty...would he start to gain weight even if he is under BMR and working out daily. This whole situation sounds hopeless, hopefully by eating health food he can reverse this damage. Make sure he eats breakfast, no food after 7pm and make sure its clean.....well this is what I have heard, think it means to wash his food first :blushing: not sure though.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    OP, I would recommend you log his cleaning and sexercise and make sure he eats back those calories. I see you think starvation mode is a myth but it is no laughing matter.
  • mslovecats
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-17847-1323297092-107.gif

But there are many other exercise options for Boogie as well.

Traditional sports...
    LHnUUkT.gif

Vigorous housework...
    Cat-jumps-onto-ceiling-fan.gif

Yoga...
    epic-cat-jump.jpg

Martial arts...
    cat_jump.jpg

"Portaling," a great option for those with limited home gym space...
    43090-Cat-jump-gif-DxBt.gif

LOVE the pics. But the only exercise Boogie agrees to is to chase a chicken leg as I hold it in my hand. Unfortunately, the chase ends swiftly in my injury, and Boogie's extra calorie intake :(
  • skinnysushicat
    Options

www.vegepet.com

If you are truly concerned about the welfare of a cat, then you wouldn't do that to them. They are freakin' carnivores.

Ugh. Let's protect nature by messing with it! Yay! Protect them from themselves! Yay!

You do know this is all a joke, right?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    your cat sounds like a bully.

he belongs on MFP with the rest of em!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Per your reply in another thread, cut his dairy and make him hula hoop.
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I got Mocha a FitBit Kit! :laugh:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

www.vegepet.com

:angry: This is not a thread for serious answers.:grumble: