KATIE COURIC'S PERILS OF FOOD POLICS

Options
167891012»

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    well I see this thread has exploded in between breakfast and lunchtime...

I love how some people say regular sugar is ok, but is "added" sugar that is bad. Please explain the difference between this two positions. I would also like to know what difference it makes if person A eats added sugar and maintains a deficit; and person B eats sugar and maintains a deficit....will person B lose more weight then Person A because Person A consumes added sugar???? Is that really what some of you are saying?
    what i was getting at was that added sugars lead to over consumption, but theres essentially no difference in a weight loss/gain standpoint if the two amounts are equal.
    that being said, theres a decent difference between simple sugars found in fruits than the white sugar found in baked goods and candy from a general health standpoint
    There's actually no difference between the sugars. Candy bars contain sucrose, glucose, and fructose, while fruit contains sucrose, glucose, and fructose. Although, some fruits also contain galactose and maltose, but then, so do some candies...
    actually there is. just looking at the molecular structure of the two you can see a pretty major difference i.e. a double bonded oxygen atom smack dab in the middle of sucrose, which is one of the strongest bonds in chemistry. good luck breaking that bugger
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    well I see this thread has exploded in between breakfast and lunchtime...

I love how some people say regular sugar is ok, but is "added" sugar that is bad. Please explain the difference between this two positions. I would also like to know what difference it makes if person A eats added sugar and maintains a deficit; and person B eats sugar and maintains a deficit....will person B lose more weight then Person A because Person A consumes added sugar???? Is that really what some of you are saying?

Look at a nutrition label. The amount of sugar, be it high fructose corn syrup, dextrose, or just plain sugar, will make or break a purchase for me. If I want bang for my buck nutritionally, I think the choice between bran flakes and Captain Crunch is pretty clear cut. I would much prefer the size of the serving of bran flakes to the its' miniscule equivalent in Captain Crunch.

I once bought what I thought was a quart of plain organic yogurt at Wegman's. Store brands are usually cheaper, so I thought I would give it a whirl. I always thought that plain yogurt meant milk and live cultures, and maybe a bit of pectin for thickening. I did not even bother to look at the label. Big mistake. First bite, it was sweet. Really???? I took it back and made a complaint. I sweeten my yogurt with fresh fruit, not sugar, if I want it sweetened at all. It was disgusting.

There is added sugar in processed meat products, cereals, condiments, and frozen vegetables with sauces, and some of them are alarmingly high, ndj1979. I was at a restaurant last night, and I was looking forward to having tartar sauce with my crab cake, and that tartar sauce was sweet! It was definitely not like the stuff I grew up with in Maryland. We once went to Applebee's, and my husband had coleslaw with his fish and chips, and it was really sweet. The tartar sauce that I make and the coleslaw that I make are not sweet like that at all. Yes, there are added sugars in processed food, which incidentally, includes restaurant fare.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    TL:DR - Stop eating all teh sugars, and save them for meeeee!

Side note: Why the eff is Joanne still posting? :huh:
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    All children like sugar and dislike vegetables. It's the way the human body functions. An infant's and child's taste receptors aren't fully developed. They taste sweet very well, so they eat it. Bitter is bad to them, hence disliking vegetables, due to the bitter flavors in them. This isn't new. This is something that's been ingrained in human behavior as long as there have been humans. Sweet = good, bitter = poison.

Kids don't eat sugar and shun vegetables because they are addicted to sugar. They eat sugar because they are kids.
    Nope
    They eat sugar because that is how they are socialized in the developed world
    I am African and grew up in Africa, most of my friends growing up, hated sugar and could not tolerate it in their food.( to a lot of them, it made them feel sick and want to throw up)
    Being from a more "westernized" family, and my mother being a chocolate lover, I grew up associating sugar with being middle class and loved it in beverages.
    Most Africans I know love vegetables and look down on sugar and the consumption of it.

Sugar is actually an acquired taste. I hated barbecue sauce on my meat, when I moved to the West 25yrs ago.
    Today I have struggled with a weight problem, because my food preference has changed, and is now in sync with what is predominantly eaten in the society I live in.

I know for a fact that if children are exposed to foods in the home, they will naturally gravitate toward those foods as choices whenever they have to choose.

I have to disagree with your "fact". I didn't get fat on "junk" food..I cook healthy meals with a lot of fresh fruits, vegetables, and lean meats. I always have because I'm not much of a sweets person. Our issue is portion control not what I bring into my home, but that is another topic. I have always taught my children to make healther choices. For example, an apple with peanut butter and milk instead of chips and a soda, but by nature as humans we often want what we are denied. By not introducing everything in moderation, I feel as though I set them up for failure. By denying them sporadic treats and making it an only if it's a special occaision kind of thing, the sweets and "junk" are the first thing they go for when giving a choice if I'm not around.