KATIE COURIC'S PERILS OF FOOD POLICS

Options
fedup_zpsf18a387a.jpg

Be sure to watch Katie Couric's FED UP!!!!! http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no...what does Katie Couric know about nutrition? She is a reporter there by jumping on a controversial topic for ratings.
    Everything we’ve been told about food and exercise for the past 30 years is dead wrong. FED UP is the film the food industry doesn’t want you to see. From Katie Couric, Laurie David (Oscar winning producer of AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH) and director Stephanie Soechtig, FED UP will change the way you eat forever.

Yup got all the major players in it....those who want to demonize sugar...

I will save my money for a DQ soft serve thanks.

ETA: I did watch the trailer btw...it's got lustig and the other one with a similar name...along with another guy I've seen mentioned a lot...
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Grumpy-Cat-NO.jpg
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I thought this would be one of those Baba relationship threads. Close enough I guess. :ohwell:
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    So Couric's show should only be about topics she is an expert on? That's never been a requirement for documentaries before, not sure why it would be now.

I'll watch this because it's a topic that's of interest to me and I have an open mind to see the various viewpoints presented.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    So Couric's show should only be about topics she is an expert on? That's never been a requirement for documentaries before, not sure why it would be now.

I'll watch this because it's a topic that's of interest to me and I have an open mind to see the various viewpoints presented.

Absolutely. Here however, at lovely MFP it's a total split if you talk about sugar-you're either for it or against it, love it or hate it, won't kill you or slowly kills you bit by bit. That seems to be the only view points (or so some would have it portrayed that way) and I'm sure this thread will turn into another ridiculous "good vs bad" issue when in reality your right, it's just a documentary.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Absolutely. Here however, at lovely MFP it's a total split if you talk about sugar-you're either for it or against it, love it or hate it, won't kill you or slowly kills you bit by bit. That seems to be the only view points (or so some would have it portrayed that way) and I'm sure this thread will turn into another ridiculous "good vs bad" issue when in reality your right, it's just a documentary.

a documentary saying the sugar is the reason for the obesity epidemic in the US...so it is already saying sugar is bad and will kill us...

did either of you even watch the trailer????
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Okay how about this.

Sugar, in moderation - it's not good and it's not bad!

In fact some might say it's our neutral buddy!
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Okay how about this.

pretty much this...I mean it tastes yummy in my coffee, and makes my fruit sweeter and makes my chocolate nom nom but it's neither good nor bad it's a food with no characteristics we like to apply to food...

we should call it switzerland maybe?
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    no...what does Katie Couric know about nutrition? She is a reporter there by jumping on a controversial topic for ratings.
    Everything we’ve been told about food and exercise for the past 30 years is dead wrong. FED UP is the film the food industry doesn’t want you to see. From Katie Couric, Laurie David (Oscar winning producer of AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH) and director Stephanie Soechtig, FED UP will change the way you eat forever.

ETA: I did watch the trailer btw...it's got lustig and the other one with a similar name...along with another guy I've seen mentioned a lot...

She's a journalist. She doesn't need to be an expert. She goes and interviews experts and gathers data and then presents it in a way that the common person can understand. By your standard, journalists would have to be experts in absolutely everything before they can report on it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Popcorn anyone - Am i allowed anything on it though as I thought salt would kill me! But Sugar will kill me!! Damm what Am I to do but popcorns a carb and that will kill me. OK water anyone but what happens if my water has flouride in it ................... .............................
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

She's a journalist. She doesn't need to be an expert. She goes and interviews experts and gathers data and then presents it in a way that the common person can understand. By your standard, journalists would have to be experts in absolutely everything before they can report on it.
    But good journalists look for balance ..........
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

But good journalists look for balance ..........

This exactly. By the trailer, there's no balance... and no real science either.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    fedup_zpsf18a387a.jpg

Be sure to watch Katie Couric's FED UP!!!!! http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home

The message that the "messenger, Katie Couric" is trying to send is : EXCESS sugar is dangerous. EXCESS. According to experts, EXCESS is this case, is more than 10 percent of one's calories.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • BigVeggieDream
    Options
    I agree. I didn't say they should only look at one side of the issue. My point is she doesn't need to be an expert.

*** I forgot to hit quote. This was in response to fatdoob ***
  • LC458
    Options

a documentary saying the sugar is the reason for the obesity epidemic in the US...so it is already saying sugar is bad and will kill us...

Sure did, that's why I commented. You may profess your love for sugar and say those that won't join you in a DQ blizzard are silly but my point is your love of sugar and someone's hate for sugar are two extremes. I don't write off sugar completely because I actually believe it to be vital in blood sugar stabilization along with other vital functions of the body but everything we eat essentially contains sugar, bread, pasta, fruit, milk, etc. With nearly everything already having sugar in it I don't opt for extra. I actually do believe it's a main cause for the diabetes in the country. But this is my point, people on here are so up in arms over sugar, it's either love or hate opinions and it's really not a black and white issue.
  • LC458
    Options

Okay how about this.

pretty much this...I mean it tastes yummy in my coffee, and makes my fruit sweeter and makes my chocolate nom nom but it's neither good nor bad it's a food with no characteristics we like to apply to food...

we should call it switzerland maybe?
    Lol my sentiments exactly :)
  • BigVeggieDream
    Options

Sure did, that's why I commented. You may profess your love for sugar and say those that won't join you in a DQ blizzard are silly but my point is your love of sugar and someone's hate for sugar are two extremes. I don't write off sugar completely because I actually believe it to be vital in blood sugar stabilization along with other vital functions of the body but everything we eat essentially contains sugar, bread, pasta, fruit, milk, etc. With nearly everything already having sugar in it I don't opt for extra. I actually do believe it's a main cause for the diabetes in the country. But this is my point, people on here are so up in arms over sugar, it's either love or hate opinions and it's really not a black and white issue.

I agree. They add excess sugar to make their food taste even better. If they just kept to the way it's supposed to traditionally be made, this problem would be much smaller.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    oh god, I saw her on O'reily last night ….this sounds like scaremongering bunch of Bs and just because Katie Couric is doing it everyone is going to think it is legit. She said on the factor that "calories in vs calories out" does not work for people and it about "quality" of calories and to avoid "added" sugar….I almost threw my remove through the TV. …

not at all shocked that Joanne is now endorsing this lunacy …

but in for more sugar fear mongering...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

when the host of said documentary says "calories in vs calories out" does not work, that is when I call BS and stop watching….

nothing wrong with added sugar, as long as you can maintain your calorie deficit...
  • SezxyStef
    Options

don't put words in my mouth...I never said the bolded part at all you "read" that into what I said.

I don't have an issue with sugar I just refuse to blame one thing for obesity except excess calories and if those excess calories come from fat, carbs ie sugar/white bread, protien it doesn't matter no one food type is to blame...

And it's not an either/or...those who say there is nothing wrong with sugar are defending it against crap like this "documentary"

As for my Katie Couric remark it's about the fact that this is not a balance disccussion about sugar it's a bash on it and thereby little to no creditibility for Katie Couric as a reporter...

And to be frank if that is all people are going to jump on about my comment go ahead seems sort of trivial to focus on that one statement...why not focus on the fact that sugar isn't to blame...over eating it.