KATIE COURIC'S PERILS OF FOOD POLICS

Options

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    i think the mfp community doesnt realize that for us, sugar may not be "bad" because we count calories and account for it in our daily totals, whereas someone who doesnt count calories doesnt necessarily know what is going into their bodies calorie wise, so a bit of sugar can make a large difference for them. this i believe is the main reason for the demonizing of sugar, if producers and institutions (schools ect.) cut back on the sugar output then I'm sure we would see a decrease in obesity rates.

though i definitely agree moderation should be the emphasis of any nutritional based documentary

This applies to everything. A bit of fat can make a huge difference. A bit of protein can make a difference. Excess carbs will make a difference.

I can easily take down a 10-12ounce steak and if I did that constantly I'd put on weight and yet I don't see documentaries about how steak is making me a fatass. (Or at least not one people take seriously. :indifferent: )

Seriously though. I can eat meat like no one's business... that more than sugar probably made me the fat@ss I was.

Growing up, I'd cook enough meat for everyone to have a huge serving plus a second. So, 2 8-9 oz chicken breasts were easily consumed at dinner time for me. You know, lean meat is good for you and all...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Yep all sugars fault and not the fact that people ride their office chairs for 8-12 hours a day then come home and ride the couch the rest of the night, people hire landscapers or use a riding mower to mow their less than .25 acre yard, people drive their car to go 1 block down the street etc..........where is that documentary.

Also state schools over the past several decades have cut back on PE lessons. The technology age is upon us and too many kids sit in front of TV or games consoles.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You think we'd have learned a lesson from demonizing fats. But no.

Next they demonized carbs. Or salt. Now sugar.

or maybe protein next :-p

Protein .... Viruses are made out of proteins and viruses can kill you, so protein is bad for you #takingthepissoutofbadscience
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i think the mfp community doesnt realize that for us, sugar may not be "bad" because we count calories and account for it in our daily totals, whereas someone who doesnt count calories doesnt necessarily know what is going into their bodies calorie wise, so a bit of sugar can make a large difference for them. this i believe is the main reason for the demonizing of sugar, if producers and institutions (schools ect.) cut back on the sugar output then I'm sure we would see a decrease in obesity rates.

though i definitely agree moderation should be the emphasis of any nutritional based documentary

This applies to everything. A bit of fat can make a huge difference. A bit of protein can make a difference. Excess carbs will make a difference.

I can easily take down a 10-12ounce steak and if I did that constantly I'd put on weight and yet I don't see documentaries about how steak is making me a fatass. (Or at least not one people take seriously. :indifferent: )
    i definitely agree, its just sugar is so easy to hide in almost anything without being noticed by the average person, and the fact that it can be addicting makes it easy to over consume
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, another "documentary" full of exaggerations and half truths. People still pay attention to these? Really?

100% of what all major news stations present at 5, 530, 6, 630, 7, 10 am and pm everyday and yes, a rather large portion of America tunes in, believes, and discusses at great length every day while ignoring the surrounding world...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Seriously though. I can eat meat like no one's business... that more than sugar probably made me the fat@ss I was.

Growing up, I'd cook enough meat for everyone to have a huge serving plus a second. So, 2 8-9 oz chicken breasts were easily consumed at dinner time for me. You know, lean meat is good for you and all...

Left to my own devices I'd sit around and eat meat and fat all day. Nothing makes me happier than big hunk of steak or half a roasted chicken (Yeah I said Half) with a buttery baked potato and asparagus wrapped in bacon. I could eat that 4 or 5 times a day (and did.).

It's only now, while watching calories and macros and micros, that I eat as much sugar as I do. It's the only thing that keeps me from shoving tons of bacon down my throat.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    So Couric's show should only be about topics she is an expert on? That's never been a requirement for documentaries before, not sure why it would be now.

I'll watch this because it's a topic that's of interest to me and I have an open mind to see the various viewpoints presented.

Absolutely. Here however, at lovely MFP it's a total split if you talk about sugar-you're either for it or against it, love it or hate it, won't kill you or slowly kills you bit by bit. That seems to be the only view points (or so some would have it portrayed that way) and I'm sure this thread will turn into another ridiculous "good vs bad" issue when in reality your right, it's just a documentary.

a documentary saying the sugar is the reason for the obesity epidemic in the US...so it is already saying sugar is bad and will kill us...

did either of you even watch the trailer????

Sure did, that's why I commented. You may profess your love for sugar and say those that won't join you in a DQ blizzard are silly but my point is your love of sugar and someone's hate for sugar are two extremes. I don't write off sugar completely because I actually believe it to be vital in blood sugar stabilization along with other vital functions of the body but everything we eat essentially contains sugar, bread, pasta, fruit, milk, etc. With nearly everything already having sugar in it I don't opt for extra. I actually do believe it's a main cause for the diabetes in the country. But this is my point, people on here are so up in arms over sugar, it's either love or hate opinions and it's really not a black and white issue.

don't put words in my mouth...I never said the bolded part at all you "read" that into what I said.

I don't have an issue with sugar I just refuse to blame one thing for obesity except excess calories and if those excess calories come from fat, carbs ie sugar/white bread, protien it doesn't matter no one food type is to blame...

And it's not an either/or...those who say there is nothing wrong with sugar are defending it against crap like this "documentary"

As for my Katie Couric remark it's about the fact that this is not a balance disccussion about sugar it's a bash on it and thereby little to no creditibility for Katie Couric as a reporter...

And to be frank if that is all people are going to jump on about my comment go ahead seems sort of trivial to focus on that one statement...why not focus on the fact that sugar isn't to blame...over eating it.

No need to get all upset. My opinion on a message board in reply to your opinion on a message board are no reasons to feel like I'm jumping on you. My point exactly, up in arms when it's simply your choice what you put into your body and it's simply my choice what goes into mine. I apologize if you feel I put words into your mouth, I honestly felt that was what you were getting at. Anyways I'm not the only one who thinks all the extra sugar in the American diet is not good-

"As outlined in the overview in Section 1, we use a feeding schedule that induces rats to binge on a sugar solution, then apply the criteria for drug dependence that are presented in Section 2 and test for the behavioral and neurochemical commonalties given in Section 3. Rats are given 12-h daily access to an aqueous 10% sucrose solution (25% glucose in some experiments) and lab chow, followed by 12 h of deprivation for three or more weeks (i.e., Daily Intermittent Sugar and Chow). These rats are compared with control groups such as Ad libitum Sugar and Chow, Ad libitum Chow, or Daily Intermittent Chow (12-h deprivation followed by 12-h access to lab chow). For the intermittent access groups, availability is delayed 4 h into the animal’s active period in order to stimulate feeding, which normally ensues at the onset of the dark cycle. Rats maintained on the Daily Intermittent Sugar and Chow regimen enter a state that resembles drug dependence on several dimensions. These are divided into behavioral (Section 4) and neurochemical (Section 5) similarities to drug dependence." As well as this "What this review demonstrates is that rats with intermittent access to food and a sugar solution can show both a constellation of behaviors and parallel brain changes that are characteristic of rats that voluntarily self-administer addictive drugs. In the aggregrate, this is evidence that sugar can be addictive." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/#!po=18.2692

Again I'm for sugar just not additive.
  • Achrya
    Options

i definitely agree, its just sugar is so easy to hide in almost anything without being noticed by the average person, and the fact that it can be addicting makes it easy to over consume

You mean like fat?

Except demonizing fat isn't trendy anymore, of course.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    Yep all sugars fault and not the fact that people ride their office chairs for 8-12 hours a day then come home and ride the couch the rest of the night, people hire landscapers or use a riding mower to mow their less than .25 acre yard, people drive their car to go 1 block down the street etc..........where is that documentary.

Also state schools over the past several decades have cut back on PE lessons. The technology age is upon us and too many kids sit in front of TV or games consoles.

This is true but I for one think that, not 'What' but 'How Much' we shove in our gobs everyday is (well if not more important) - bares more weight (!) than exercise ever can .... I can eat several thousand calories every day but there's no way I could ever do that much exercise... so I believe that the scales are tipped more by IN than OUT.

BUT that is NOT to say that exercise should be ignored .. it may not have the impact on our weight to the extent that food does BUT it does makes us fitter (and that's important too).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No need to get all upset. My opinion on a message board in reply to your opinion on a message board are no reasons to feel like I'm jumping on you. My point exactly, up in arms when it's simply your choice what you put into your body and it's simply my choice what goes into mine. I apologize if you feel I put words into your mouth, I honestly felt that was what you were getting at. Anyways I'm not the only one who thinks all the extra sugar in the American diet is not good-

Not upset at all.

But I refuse to sit by while random people imply I said something I didn't.

If I was getting at it I would have stated it in black and white...I don't talk code.

no you aren't the only one but doesn't mean you are all right either, just like excess fat was the reason in the 80's, then excess carbs (ie white bread/rice)

Proof is in the results of people who count calories...the reason for obesity in the world not just the US is excess calories...which can come from anywhere...not just sugar.
  • BigT555
    Options

Yeah mean like fat?
    fat is necessary for us and has nutritional value, sugar does very little for us in a positive manner
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Yeah mean like fat?

Because science has caught up.

I still would personally push to eliminate man made Trans Fat and interesterfied fats. It would also be good (especially in America) for manufacturers to have to label ANY products with MM trans fats and not just products with a content of over 0.5g.
  • Achrya
    Options

Yeah mean like fat?
    fat is necessary for us and has nutritional value, sugar does very little for us in a positive manner

That means it's not easy to hide in everything, isn't easy to over consume, and isn't so damn tasty that people add it to everything? Or are you just throwing out other stuff to take away from the fact that what you said about sugar also applies to fats?
  • Achrya
    Options

Yeah mean like fat?

Because science has caught up.

I still would personally push to eliminate man made Trans Fat and interesterfied fats. It would also be good (especially in America) for manufacturers to have to label ANY products with MM trans fats and not just products with a content of over 0.5g.

Duh.
  • BigT555
    Options

This argument could be made for any calorie rich food that is part of the Standard American Diet and it would STILL be wrong.

Let's demonize bread, pop, chocolate, processed food, pizza, fat, carbs, fast food, etc....

oh, wait ....
    how would it be wrong?
    to say there is no link between eating calorie rich foods and going over the daily allotted calorie count is a little ridiculous
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

Left to my own devices I'd sit around and eat meat and fat all day. Nothing makes me happier than big hunk of steak or half a roasted chicken (Yeah I said Half) with a buttery baked potato and asparagus wrapped in bacon. I could eat that 4 or 5 times a day (and did.).

It's only now, while watching calories and macros and micros, that I eat as much sugar as I do. It's the only thing that keeps me from shoving tons of bacon down my throat.

Yeah we've got that in common... before MFP, a pound of bacon was a plausible breakfast for me... and growing up, I could eat a whole chicken in one sitting (no wonder when I graduate high school I was almost 300lbs!)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I have actually seen a nice trend in my town. I often walk outside with my husband and in the last two weeks we have seen tonnes of kids outside playing...I was shocked really when I head the kids on the next street over counting...they were playing hide and seek...then we see

street hockey I bet there were 20 boys
    biking
    skate boarding
    basketball etc

Which is not the norm here...it's been great to see.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Not upset at all.

But I refuse to sit by while random people imply I said something I didn't.

If I was getting at it I would have stated it in black and white...I don't talk code.

no you aren't the only one but doesn't mean you are all right either, just like excess fat was the reason in the 80's, then excess carbs (ie white bread/rice)

Proof is in the results of people who count calories...the reason for obesity in the world not just the US is excess calories...which can come from anywhere...not just sugar.

Ok that's fine you can totally ignore the study I quoted.

Agree to disagree.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

You mean like fat?

Because Fat is NOT fattening per se ...... TOO much fat is (true for carbs, sugars.. etc.. etc....)
  • BigT555
    Options

Yeah mean like fat?

That means it's not easy to hide in everything, isn't easy to over consume, and isn't so damn tasty that people add it to everything? Or are you just throwing out other stuff to take away from the fact that what you said about sugar also applies to fats?
    what i said about sugar applies to everything. but you dont see producers adding in fats to their products, they add sugar