KATIE COURIC'S PERILS OF FOOD POLICS

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    eating too much food is the cause of the obesity epidemic …no need to watch this documentary ..

end thread/
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm fed up with the scare tactics the media likes to use. :flowerforyou:

I'll keep my sugar, in moderation, thank you. :drinker:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, another "documentary" full of exaggerations and half truths. People still pay attention to these? Really?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    fedup_zpsf18a387a.jpg

Be sure to watch Katie Couric's FED UP!!!!! http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home

The message that the "messenger, Katie Couric" is trying to send is : EXCESS sugar is dangerous. EXCESS. According to experts, EXCESS is this case, is more than 10 percent of one's calories.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group

What happens if more than 10% of my calories come from sugar, exactly? (Because in my case about half my carbs are sugar carbs, which would mean 15-20% of my calories) What dangers am I courting, exactly?
  • JaneyB311
    JaneyB311 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Popcorn anyone - Am i allowed anything on it though as I thought salt would kill me! But Sugar will kill me!! Damm what Am I to do but popcorns a carb and that will kill me. OK water anyone but what happens if my water has flouride in it ................... .............................

Or you manage to overhydrate? You're a gonner!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    fedup_zpsf18a387a.jpg

The message that the "messenger, Katie Couric" is trying to send is : EXCESS sugar is dangerous. EXCESS. According to experts, EXCESS is this case, is more than 10 percent of one's calories.

Joanne Moniz
    Yet again this is quoted wrong the actual advice is 10% after your daily nutrient needs have been met. So it's not 10% overall as all the usual suspects keep quoting. Not that I'm surprised that it's taken out of context. The full report is on the AHA website if you wish to check
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You think we'd have learned a lesson from demonizing fats. But no.

Next they demonized carbs. Or salt. Now sugar.

Because it's the easy way out. Looking at someone's diet as a whole...oh man, that sounds like work. And what do you mean I'm to blame for the food I choose to ingest? I'd much rather blame food manufacturers for making food taste good. Rotten businesses trying to make a profit...they should be concerned about my health! So I don't have to be.

What I don't get is that knowing they've been wrong so many times before, why people would listen now?

Go ahead. Ignore your diet as a whole. Tell yourself it's not about calories, just blame sugar. You're not going to succeed, you won't lose weight or get any healthier. But hey, now you can blame someone else for making you fat. You've found your excuse. And that's what you really want, isn't it? An excuse to stay the way you are.
    Stop it with this common sense. This is MFP and it's no place for it
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    So Couric's show should only be about topics she is an expert on? That's never been a requirement for documentaries before, not sure why it would be now.

I'll watch this because it's a topic that's of interest to me and I have an open mind to see the various viewpoints presented.

Absolutely. Here however, at lovely MFP it's a total split if you talk about sugar-you're either for it or against it, love it or hate it, won't kill you or slowly kills you bit by bit. That seems to be the only view points (or so some would have it portrayed that way) and I'm sure this thread will turn into another ridiculous "good vs bad" issue when in reality your right, it's just a documentary.

Okay how about this.

Sugar, in moderation - it's not good and it's not bad!

In fact some might say it's our neutral buddy!

+1

Watched the trailer then read the article about it in "New York Times"

Interesting that the film apparently quotes research by Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, an associate professor of medicine and epidemiology and the article even links to his research here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21696306

Strangely enough his research shows potato chips and potatoes are a bigger cause of weight gain than sugar sweetened drinks while the film seems to be arguing sugar only

I am doing ok eating potatoes in moderation so can't see why eating sugar in moderation would be any different
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The same Katie Couric with the anti HPV vaccine stance for which she had to publicly apologize?

LOL.
  • Achrya
    Options
    fedup_zpsf18a387a.jpg

Joanne Moniz
    Yet again this is quoted wrong the actual advice is 10% after your daily nutrient needs have been met. So it's not 10% overall as all the usual suspects keep quoting. Not that I'm surprised that it's taken out of context. The full report is on the AHA website if you wish to check

So. Are you saying that since I eat my veg and meat and fruit first then, once that's taken care of, I eat my ice cream and cookies, I'm not actually in any danger from the sugars?

Is Joanne lying to me?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Because it's the easy way out. Looking at someone's diet as a whole...oh man, that sounds like work. And what do you mean I'm to blame for the food I choose to ingest? I'd much rather blame food manufacturers for making food taste good. Rotten businesses trying to make a profit...they should be concerned about my health! So I don't have to be.

What I don't get is that knowing they've been wrong so many times before, why people would listen now?

Go ahead. Ignore your diet as a whole. Tell yourself it's not about calories, just blame sugar. You're not going to succeed, you won't lose weight or get any healthier. But hey, now you can blame someone else for making you fat. You've found your excuse. And that's what you really want, isn't it? An excuse to stay the way you are.

exactly...

personal responsibilty for choices is out the window...even the "documentry" says..."it's not your fault your fat..."
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it? I haven't ever seen any hard, scientific proof that a diet consisting of moderate amounts of sugar (both added and natural) is unhealthy.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

exactly...

personal responsibilty for choices is out the window...even the "documentry" says..."it's not your fault your fat..."

But its not my fault, if it were my fault wouldn't I be able to do something about it? Wouldn't I be able to lose weight? No wait........
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i think the mfp community doesnt realize that for us, sugar may not be "bad" because we count calories and account for it in our daily totals, whereas someone who doesnt count calories doesnt necessarily know what is going into their bodies calorie wise, so a bit of sugar can make a large difference for them. this i believe is the main reason for the demonizing of sugar, if producers and institutions (schools ect.) cut back on the sugar output then I'm sure we would see a decrease in obesity rates.

though i definitely agree moderation should be the emphasis of any nutritional based documentary
  • Achrya
    Options
    i think the mfp community doesnt realize that for us, sugar may not be "bad" because we count calories and account for it in our daily totals, whereas someone who doesnt count calories doesnt necessarily know what is going into their bodies calorie wise, so a bit of sugar can make a large difference for them. this i believe is the main reason for the demonizing of sugar, if producers and institutions (schools ect.) cut back on the sugar output then I'm sure we would see a decrease in obesity rates.

though i definitely agree moderation should be the emphasis of any nutritional based documentary

This applies to everything. A bit of fat can make a huge difference (In fact with fat having more calories per gram than carbs fat will actually have a bigger impact than sugar). A bit of protein can make a difference. Excess carbs will make a difference.

I can easily take down a 10-12 ounce steak and if I did that constantly I'd put on weight and yet I don't see documentaries about how steak is making me a fatass. (Or at least not one people take seriously. :indifferent: ) I can crush 4 or 5 apples at a time (seriously apples are so unsatisfying.) and at 125-150 calories a pop that surely adds up, yet I see people insisting I should eat more fruit with no regard for the fact that fruit does nothing for my satiety.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Yep all sugars fault and not the fact that people ride their office chairs for 8-12 hours a day then come home and ride the couch the rest of the night, people hire landscapers or use a riding mower to mow their less than .25 acre yard, people drive their car to go 1 block down the street etc..........where is that documentary.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it? I haven't ever seen any hard, scientific proof that a diet consisting of moderate amounts of sugar (both added and natural) is unhealthy.

I suppose what would need to be defined is the word moderate.

There are studies showing that excessive amounts of sugar is harmful to overall health.

I should think as the poster above has commented, the documentary is aimed at a large portion of westernised society who do not observe the same eating restrictions as we all do (who are looking to loss or maintain weight) on MFP.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

This applies to everything. A bit of fat can make a huge difference. A bit of protein can make a difference. Excess carbs will make a difference.

I can easily take down a 10-12ounce steak and if I did that constantly I'd put on weight and yet I don't see documentaries about how steak is making me a fatass. (Or at least not one people take seriously. :indifferent: )

We can make it happen. Quick, call Katie.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

This argument could be made for any calorie rich food that is part of the Standard American Diet and it would STILL be wrong.

Let's demonize bread, pop, chocolate, processed food, pizza, fat, carbs, fast food, etc....

oh, wait ....