controversial success stories pls=saying NO to certain foods

Options
NewLIFEstyle4ME
NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
Wow, I've been at this weight loss thing for 2+ years and I've done various things over this time period to lose weight...it seems like no matter how well I eat (and admittedly) I'm NOT exercising as much nor as hard as I can and should--but my eating is really pretty good (if I may say so myself). It seems like the only time my weigh drops and stays off is when I deny myself the following:

coffee (cause I only like it with flavored cream...I detest it black).
meats (bacon, sausages and meats in general) I don't "love" meat--but I do like my bacon and sausages for breakfast.
dairy (cheeses and other dairy products)
processed and fast foods

I titled this "controversial success stories", because I've been here long enough to know that the greater majority of people not only take "offense" at the idea of denying yourself foods you like or love or crave is BAD and should never be considered as "healthy or a good idea"--that it's not sustainable, etc--and balance is the key...BUT I've tried ALL of these methods, eats what-so-ever-thou wilt (as long as it's in your cal count), balanced eating and denying myself the foods listed above and the ONLY thing that works for me is forsaking certain food and drinks...

THEREFORE, I'd love to hear success stories from those of you are like me
(I think folk call us :happy: "special snowflakes":noway: who have taken the forsaking certain foods route (not just temporarily but as a lifestyle) and have seen losses. I am so frustrated at the really sloooowwwwww progress I'm having and I'm thinking about returning to the "denying myself" road once more...:ohwell: Pls. share your stories of success in saying "no" to certain foods and the success you've had doing it. Thanks in advance for your replies!!! :smooched:

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Mostly I'm in to read what others have to say.

All I've got is that by denying yourself certain foods, you're creating that deficit you need to lose weight. When you don't deny, you have no deficit and hence no weight loss.

Personally, I'll take slow progress over no progress.
  • eluned789
    eluned789 Posts: 1
    Options
    Unfortunately what you listed are all high calorie & high cholesterol. Try alternatives eg skimmed milk instead of creams in coffee, low fat cheeses ie cottage cheese, quark, Edam. Bacon - 1 slice , sausage one only and count them in. It's better than denying yourself cos you'll obsess about those items. I love butter but have taught myself to eat really good bread withou it except holidays and high days ie my birthday and Christmas. I hate margarine or other substitutes so no probl there.
  • GallifreyanGirl396
    GallifreyanGirl396 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You don't need the internet's permission to eat or not eat whatever you want. If you feel that could work, try it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, back to square one. Personally, I would make sure to move more and ensure that I was weighing/measuring/ moderating the foods that I enjoy. I once lost a ton of weight that way,but it was hell trying to keep it off. Now, I have the entire amount plus an added 20 to lose. However, it's your choice to do that. Best of luck with your journey. I hope you lose your weight,and can maintain it. Also, In, because this sort of thing never goes well in the forums.
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would probably deny myself the things that could spur on a binge. This is just me though. I know that I will experience more success if I deny myself chocolate, cakes, cookies, ect. (basically anything sweet). When I eat these things, they taste SOOOO good that I find that I cannot stop. I can have chips, bread or anything else in moderation, but sweets just trigger a binge reaction. I say if you can afford something in your diet, then do it. If you can control yourself with certain foods, then eat them. But here's me: There was an old Lifetime movie where this girl went on a diet and denied herself everything. She was at a wedding and found a whole cake on the buffet table. She snuck it into the closet and ate it with her hands....and she was found...sitting on the floor of the closet covered in chocolate...crying tears of guilt. People...that movie is about me. JK :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about returning to the "denying myself" road once more...

Because that has worked so well for you in the past? Moderation is a skill, I think the best advice is to learn it. Are you really going to go the rest of your life with having coffee? Or meat? Or breakfast? Or packaged foods? Or fast food? Or dairy? All those things? Really? If it was just one of those things, ok, maybe. If it was for a specific health concern, sure. But just to lose weight faster?

You are making slow progress, that is better than quick progress giving up those things, only to gain all the weight back once you break down and start having those things once again. Slow weight loss really makes you understand and value the work it takes to drop pounds, that usually helps people moderation their love for certain foods. If you skip over that part, you learn nothing.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've been at this weight loss thing for 2+ years and I've done various things over this time period to lose weight...it seems like no matter how well I eat (and admittedly) I'm NOT exercising as much nor as hard as I can and should--but my eating is really pretty good (if I may say so myself). It seems like the only time my weigh drops and stays off is when I deny myself the following:

coffee (cause I only like it with flavored cream...I detest it black).
    meats (bacon, sausages and meats in general) I don't "love" meat--but I do like my bacon and sausages for breakfast.
    dairy (cheeses and other dairy products)
    processed and fast foods

I titled this "controversial success stories", because I've been here long enough to know that the greater majority of people not only take "offense" at the idea of denying yourself foods you like or love or crave is BAD and should never be considered as "healthy or a good idea"--that it's not sustainable, etc--and balance is the key...BUT I've tried ALL of these methods, eats what-so-ever-thou wilt (as long as it's in your cal count), balanced eating and denying myself the foods listed above and the ONLY thing that works for me is forsaking certain food and drinks...

THEREFORE, I'd love to hear success stories from those of you are like me
    (I think folk call us :happy: "special snowflakes":noway: who have taken the forsaking certain foods route (not just temporarily but as a lifestyle) and have seen losses. I am so frustrated at the really sloooowwwwww progress I'm having and I'm thinking about returning to the "denying myself" road once more...:ohwell: Pls. share your stories of success in saying "no" to certain foods and the success you've had doing it. Thanks in advance for your replies!!! :smooched:

I don't take offense at your claims, I'll just tell you that they're incorrect.

If you want to continue operating under false information, more power to you. You certainly wouldn't be the only one. People love to fabricate crazy theories about why they're so special and unique to explain away their own failings.

Just don't try to convince other people and not expect a bunch of people saying "but you're totally wrong."
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I am on a low-carb diet, because it helps reduce my appetite.

Calories in vs. calories out still applies, but when I follow the governments recommendations I seem to be ravishingly hungry.

So my macros are special, %80 fat, %15 protein, %5 carb, if I can stick to my goals.
  • colibri23
    colibri23 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    ...Moderation is a skill, I think the best advice is to learn it.

You are making slow progress, that is better than quick progress giving up those things, only to gain all the weight back once you break down and start having those things once again. Slow weight loss really makes you understand and value the work it takes to drop pounds, that usually helps people moderation their love for certain foods. If you skip over that part, you learn nothing.

Yes! I know from personal experience that this is true for me. I was in the mindset of "can't have this food" for a long time (thanks, WWs), lost a bunch of weight, learned nothing (well, not "nothing" but not enough to keep it off), and gained it back. Now I'm doing slow and steady, eating what I want within reason and my calorie goal, and I feel confident that I've permanently changed my relationship with food so that it is now a healthy, balanced one. I refuse to obsess over certain "forbidden" foods, or to allow food to control me. I think that rather than denying food, it might be useful to say to yourself "This is a food that I must exert extra self-control/caution around in order to enjoy it but not over indulge". Or if you do overindulge occasionally, big deal! Just don't make a habit of it. Your fitness and health is a reflection of your habits, not one-off splurges.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you can avoid these for the rest of your life, more power to ya! =)
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    So admittedly you haven't had any long term success with this method, yet you want to keep doing it.

Good luck with that.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options

How is she wrong? She isn't saying that this is the ONLY way to lose weight. From my understanding (maybe I am the wrong one here) she is saying it is the only way SHE has found success.

Some people can have 1-2-3 glasses of wine and can go on for days/months/weeks without craving or going into a binge. Others don't allow themselves to even have a drop because they feel that they can't control themselves with it. How is her approach different?

(btw, I hope this doesn't come off "snarky"... it is very hard to type things out nicely online....:flowerforyou: )
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    BUT I've tried ALL of these methods, eats what-so-ever-thou wilt (as long as it's in your cal count), balanced eating and denying myself the foods listed above and the ONLY thing that works for me is forsaking certain food and drinks...

You are not right about this. There is no magic. You didn't lose weight because you gave up certain foods. You lost weight because you ate less than you burned over a period of time. You could have done the same thing while still eating/drinking all the things you gave up. What you have been unable to do is moderate your intake of those things to a level that is commensurate with your activity level. If you are unwilling to make a legitimate attempt to do that, then yes, you are going to be required to forgo certain things. But if they are things you really like, you are likely to end up going back to them at some point, gaining more weight, and thinking the only way you can lose is to give them up again. It is a cycle. It will be repeated forever if you don't change your mind about this.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

How is she wrong? She isn't saying that this is the ONLY way to lose weight. From my understanding (maybe I am the wrong one here) she is saying it is the only way SHE has found success.

If it was so successful for her, she wouldn't need to be doing it another time. OP you already acknowledged its unsustainable, how is this time any different?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Some people can have 1-2-3 glasses of wine and can go on for days/months/weeks without craving or going into a binge. Others don't allow themselves to even have a drop because they feel that they can't control themselves with it. How is her approach different?

(btw, I hope this doesn't come off "snarky"... it is very hard to type things out nicely online....:flowerforyou: )

Certain foods such as coffee, creamer, and bacon do not make weight loss stop or stall. It's biologically implausible. The very idea that "processed food" can stop weight loss is ludicrous.
  • angelguess7
    angelguess7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think for me at least.....moderation and allowing a cheat day isn't a bad thing. I dont want to deny myself of things I love, but I can eat less of them or healthier versions. If you can find a way to make it so you're not just doing this for a few months then going back to your same old routine you'd probably be better off. I find extremes lead to yoyoing and that goes no where
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

If it was so successful for her, she wouldn't need to be doing it another time. OP you already acknowledged its unsustainable, how is this time any different?

This! If you can't do it for the rest of your life it is not working.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Mostly I'm in to read what others have to say.

All I've got is that by denying yourself certain foods, you're creating that deficit you need to lose weight. When you don't deny, you have no deficit and hence no weight loss.

Personally, I'll take slow progress over no progress.

Thanks so much for this and especially the "Personally, I'll take slow progress over no progress.
    '

That's encouraging to me :flowerforyou:

Also, thanks so much for everyone who replied as well, I appreciate ALL of your insights and opinions too :drinker:
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Good luck on going back to eating this way!

This time, and the next, and the one after that...and with all the things you try in between each of them, and on whatever you settle with in the end.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Certain foods such as coffee, creamer, and bacon do not make weight loss stop or stall. It's biologically implausible. The very idea that "processed food" can stop weight loss is ludicrous.

And I completely agree with that.... but I also believe that some people feel that they don't have control with certain foods. Learning to control yourself would be the best option, but for some just cutting it out completely is the only way.

I am not a cut out person (chocolate errrrydayyy :glasses: ) but my bestfriend has sworn off rice (among other things) for the past 5 years because she has no control with it. She knows that she won't gain 5lbs from eating rice, but she just hasn't gained the skills to turn down her 2nd 3rd 4th bowl of rice at a time.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In what way is this a success story? Maybe I read through too quickly, but I didn't see where you had achieved a goal weight and maintained it for any period of time.

My apologies if I missed it or if it is the case but you simply didn't include it in your post.

ETA: And now I see that others have essentially said the same thing. This is why I shouldn't post before reading through the responses already made. Didn't mean to seem like I was piling on.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!