controversial success stories pls=saying NO to certain foods

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I say no to water when I am losing weight. Whenever I stop drinking water completely I lose weight and whenever I drink a lot of water the weight just comes right back. I don't know why it doesn't affect everyone the same way it affects me but I am obviously a "special snowflake" as well. Here's to excluding unnecessary foods/drinks to attain our goals!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I know that you're looking for people who deny things, but I did notice that all of the foods you listed are high calorie foods. Is it possible that you're underlogging them and that's why your weight loss stagnates? When you eat those foods are you still staying within your calories for the day? Or do they make you go over?

No one is a snowflake, sadly. If you're not losing with those foods, you're not at a deficit.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm not on MFP to lose weight, but I did lose about 40lb a few weeks ago over about 6 months or more, and I did it by cutting bread, pasta and potatoes (most of the time) from my diet for about the first three months (after that I went back to eating whatever I wanted but by then I had a smaller appetite and better approach to portion control and lost more weight even though I wasn't planning to).

Obviously what had made me fat was eating too much food, and I don't think any one food is 'the enemy' etc., but I do think it is much easier to over-eat white bread and pasta if you are in the habit of doing so. They're quite bulky, and they make me retain water, so because I was used to eating big portions, I was also used to the feeling of fullness that went with it, which meant my appetite in general was too big for my calorie needs and I was putting on weight.

Cutting them out for a while (filling up my plate with veggies, having smaller portions of carbs like oatcakes with my cheese instead of a big hunk of french bread) meant I was eating fewer calories so I lost weight. And then re-introducing them into my diet once I'd lost the weight I wanted to lose meant my idea of portion size was completely different, because my appetite was smaller. Before, I totally couldn't see how 90-100g of dry pasta could be a serving when I needed easily twice that much to feel satisfied. Now I'm full after the 100g and don't really want pasta that often. So actually it did turn out to be sustainable FOR ME. I will never want to binge on bread or pasta again, and even if I do, I certainly won't want to the next day. But now when I analyse my experience it really was just all about portion size, moderation and calories in vs. calories out.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the key. I have been on my journey since February and have lost approximately 20 pounds. In April I joined a gym for kick boxing and strength training. I have read that if all we do is watch my calories, we will eventually loose the the weight, however,we will be just a liter vision of the same body type. I do NOT want to look like a pear for the rest of my life. Keep up the hard work, it will pay off for you!

Thanks so much for your reply...it's encouraging to me and exercising more is definitely an area I need to improve in for sure!
    :flowerforyou:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That's not a success story, it's a sad story.
  • ColdPlum
    ColdPlum Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If she has found what works for her, why are any of you offering advice or telling her that she is wrong? Where is the support? She found a way to lose weight that works for her, and I should be so lucky. For those of you who have found other ways to think about food and make use of MFP, congrats on your success! But let's please just support others in finding their own path...
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Some of the stuff you listed is easier to get the wrong calorie count. Counts for processed foods I think can be off by something like 15%. So if you measure slightly off, and the calories are 15% higher than posted, you can quickly remove your deficit. When you drink the creamer and milk, do you measure it?

Thank you ever so much for your reply--it's encouraging to me! I am not measuring the creamer I use...I need to do that for sure. :flowerforyou:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    If she has found what works for her, why are any of you offering advice or telling her that she is wrong? Where is the support? She found a way to lose weight that works for her, and I should be so lucky. For those of you who have found other ways to think about food and make use of MFP, congrats on your success! But let's please just support others in finding their own path...

Because it is possible to lose weight without depriving yourself of the food you love. In fact, for a lot of people, that deprivation eventually leads to bingeing and failure. We are just trying to help by pointing that out...
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I've tried absolute and total denial of "forbidden foods"(depending on the diet plan of course). That didn't work for me long term. But what I can say has worked this time is portion control, better quality foods and an occassional 1 serving splurge of anything my heart desires... all weighed and logged in, of course, with the appropriate amount of excercise sprinkled in for good measure.

I do deny myself the second helpings and the excuses. All lifestyle change requires some denial, just what that means to each individual is a unique and personal matter.

I always keep in mind though that what works for me now, may need to be adjusted later. We all need to listen to our bodies and add some flexibility to the plate, too.

Thank you ever so much for taking the time and care to post this encouraging reply to/for me! I especially appreciate what you've said-- "I always keep in mind though that what works for me now, may need to be adjusted later. We all need to listen to our bodies and add some flexibility to the plate, too." :flowerforyou:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Thank you again to EVERYONE of you who replied :flowerforyou:
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    In logging my food, I know why I am was getting bigger and bigger.

For example, my coffee used to have about 200 calories worth of cream and sugar and then I would have two or three cups for "breakfast" and that's it (I used to say that I like a little coffee with my cream and sugar, lol)
    Now I still have coffee. But I measure out the half and half and no sugar.
    The sugar thing took a while to get used to. But I can't live without coffee, so I still have it. Everyday. And now I have an actual breakfast to go with it, too!

I love steak. I loooooove ribeyes and standing rib roasts. I still eat steaks. Every single week. However, I no longer have the "Man vs. Food" size steak. or 2,500 calories worth of rib roast plus sides.
    I weigh my food and record it. I will do so until I learn portion control.
    I could not stay on track only eating boiled chicken and canned tuna. Some people can. I can not. Pass the porterhouse, please.

I don't eat any cupcakes, cookies, cake, candy bars, chocolate, soda, or chips. It's not like I am depriving myself. I just don't like them that much and can't justify the calories on something that's just "meh" to me.
    I will however, eat those calories worth of steak and a glass of wine or a Guinness, if they fit my allowance.

The only thing I do now that I kind of hate is drinking water. I hate drinking water, but I do it anyway. I hate drinking water, but I found out that I hate working out while dehydrated even more, so I suck it up :/

I am not into diets that claim that certain foods are evil. Unless you have a certain medical condition, most foods are not that bad. I mean, within reason: Don't go to the fair and eat deep fried cotton candy and a deep fried candy bar just because it was within your calorie allowance and expect to feel mah-velous the next day.

But if you want to eat bread with buttah. Eat it, just don't have the whole loaf and use margarine (*clutches pearls*)

Even if you have not-so-healthy choices occasionally. It's OK. You haven't fallen off the wagon and need to drown your sorrows in syrup. Just dust yourself off and try to make better choices for your next meal.

Don't use food as punishment. Don't use food as reward.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Some of the stuff you listed is easier to get the wrong calorie count. Counts for processed foods I think can be off by something like 15%. So if you measure slightly off, and the calories are 15% higher than posted, you can quickly remove your deficit. When you drink the creamer and milk, do you measure it?

Thank you ever so much for your reply--it's encouraging to me! I am not measuring the creamer I use...I need to do that for sure. :flowerforyou:

I think you also need to weigh other foods like the fruits you eat. This could be part of the problem I believe. Get a food scale and weigh all your foods. Don't deny yourself of the things you like until you try this first! You have great food choices IMO but you definitely need to weigh them to make sure you are staying at your calorie goal, it doesn't matter how "good" you eat if you eat lots of it and don't know precisely how much of it you are eating. Good luck OP!
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've completely cut out diet soda. I have never drank regular soda in my life, but diet soda made me bloat and isn't any good for me either! So I've cut it out completely.

I've also stopped eating chips.

I don't feel like cutting it out is a bad thing. I don't even feel deprived. I've found healthier substitutes that taste good and make me happy lol.
  • Cali212
    Cali212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I calorie-counted for years and could never really make a dent until I cut out most grains. I now eat 80% grain free, and leave occasional indulgences for pizza or cake.

Interestingly, my total calorie input went up, but the weight just MELTED off. (This did not happen when I increased calories, but kept in the grains - only when I removed the grains.)

So - to each their own! But all I can say is this - I don't believe that a calorie is just a calorie anymore.
  • KenzieMatlock
    Options
    Hello!

I've got a suggestion, I have read that whilst doing a diet it is better to stay under a certain amount of calories (Hence Myfitnesspal) but also a great way to trick your body up and to get your metabolism going is to stick to a certain amount every 5 days

Examples
    Monday - Friday (850 calories a day)
    Then Saturday and Sunday (1200 calories a day)
    Then repeat every week BUT change the two days a week that your eating more calories it throws your body off EVERY time leading to a better metabolism and less fat that your body is storing due to the constant changing.

Let me explain, of course everyone knows your body stores fat when you eat less fat but with losing weight its hard to balance. While your on something similar to the example above you are staying on track of a good healthy eating/proportions BUT by the time you get to Saturday and Sunday your body might already have been saving fat it wasn't getting during the week so when you shock it with two days of more fat/calories it lets go of what is storing because it thinks its getting what it used to and creates a nice moving metabolism. AND from experience let me tell ya it doesn't seem like it would work but try it out you WILL be surprised. :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I've got a suggestion, I have read that whilst doing a diet it is better to stay under a certain amount of calories (Hence Myfitnesspal) but also a great way to trick your body up and to get your metabolism going is to stick to a certain amount every 5 days

NO.

Examples
    Then repeat every week BUT change the two days a week that your eating more calories it throws your body off EVERY time leading to a better metabolism and less fat that your body is storing due to the constant changing.

Definitely NO.

Let me explain, of course everyone knows your body stores fat when you eat less fat but with losing weight its hard to balance. While your on something similar to the example above you are staying on track of a good healthy eating/proportions BUT by the time you get to Saturday and Sunday your body might already have been saving fat it wasn't getting during the week so when you shock it with two days of more fat/calories it lets go of what is storing because it thinks its getting what it used to and creates a nice moving metabolism. AND from experience let me tell ya it doesn't seem like it would work but try it out you WILL be surprised. :)

:noway:
  • lonnieh2
    lonnieh2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    To me what you eat isn't the issue. To me, losing weight it's a simple as this.

1. Eat less >>Move more.
    2. Eat a lil more >>> Move even more.
    3. Eat a lot >>> Move a whole heck of a lot more.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    To me what you eat isn't the issue. To me, losing weight it's a simple as this.

1. Eat less >>Move more.
    2. Eat a lil more >>> Move even more.
    3. Eat a lot >>> Move a whole heck of a lot more.

I bet you're ripped.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Hello!

Examples

Please don't EVER try to stick to 850 cals/day. 850 cals is a meal....Not a full day worth of calories.
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I would probably deny myself the things that could spur on a binge. This is just me though. I know that I will experience more success if I deny myself chocolate, cakes, cookies, ect. (basically anything sweet). When I eat these things, they taste SOOOO good that I find that I cannot stop. I can have chips, bread or anything else in moderation, but sweets just trigger a binge reaction. I say if you can afford something in your diet, then do it. If you can control yourself with certain foods, then eat them. But here's me: There was an old Lifetime movie where this girl went on a diet and denied herself everything. She was at a wedding and found a whole cake on the buffet table. She snuck it into the closet and ate it with her hands....and she was found...sitting on the floor of the closet covered in chocolate...crying tears of guilt. People...that movie is about me. JK :)

I'm with you! I find that if I buy a bag of chocolate, intending to eat only 1 or two....I end killing the whole bag in a couple of days! If I don't restrict the sugar, and salty snacks, I tend to over do it. So I have made the decision to cut them out.....for the most part :wink: If I do indulge, I will buy single servings :tongue:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!