controversial success stories pls=saying NO to certain foods

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Two years into it, still hasn't lost weight, makes snide comments about others calling food denial "unsustainable" despite not being able to sustain it for two years, lolz
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    OP, I totally hear you on denying food. I mean, right now, I am denying myself a food that I absolutely love - Snickers candy bars.

And I will keep denying myself...

... for about 10 more minutes.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    In before Advocare-like stories make their way in.

"I cut out bread and refined sugar, and I lost ten pounds in 2 weeks! Unfortunately, I didn't stick with it, but I'm doing it this time. That's the only way I've been able to lose weight and be successful!"
  • EATINGTOLIVE77
    EATINGTOLIVE77 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the key. I have been on my journey since February and have lost approximately 20 pounds. In April I joined a gym for kick boxing and strength training. I have read that if all we do is watch my calories, we will eventually loose the the weight, however,we will be just a liter vision of the same body type. I do NOT want to look like a pear for the rest of my life. Keep up the hard work, it will pay off for you!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Holly, it reminds me of a friend who did the 3-day diet where you eat nothing but crackers and tuna or whatever. She tried it, then proclaimed on Facebook that it really works because she lost 6 lbs in 3 days. I refrained from asking the obvious question: if it works, why did you stop doing it?
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've been at this weight loss thing for 2+ years and I've done various things over this time period to lose weight...it seems like no matter how well I eat (and admittedly) I'm NOT exercising as much nor as hard as I can and should--but my eating is really pretty good (if I may say so myself). It seems like the only time my weigh drops and stays off is when I deny myself the following:

coffee (cause I only like it with flavored cream...I detest it black).
    meats (bacon, sausages and meats in general) I don't "love" meat--but I do like my bacon and sausages for breakfast.
    dairy (cheeses and other dairy products)
    processed and fast foods

I titled this "controversial success stories", because I've been here long enough to know that the greater majority of people not only take "offense" at the idea of denying yourself foods you like or love or crave is BAD and should never be considered as "healthy or a good idea"--that it's not sustainable, etc--and balance is the key...BUT I've tried ALL of these methods, eats what-so-ever-thou wilt (as long as it's in your cal count), balanced eating and denying myself the foods listed above and the ONLY thing that works for me is forsaking certain food and drinks...

THEREFORE, I'd love to hear success stories from those of you are like me
    (I think folk call us :happy: "special snowflakes":noway: who have taken the forsaking certain foods route (not just temporarily but as a lifestyle) and have seen losses. I am so frustrated at the really sloooowwwwww progress I'm having and I'm thinking about returning to the "denying myself" road once more...:ohwell: Pls. share your stories of success in saying "no" to certain foods and the success you've had doing it. Thanks in advance for your replies!!! :smooched:
    I have lost close to 50 lbs. since January. I eat (lean) meat, I drink black coffee, or sometimes with skim milk, I eat low fat yogurt...etc. You don't have to deny yourself everything, just don't be one extreme or the other, get the nutrition you need.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Certain foods such as coffee, creamer, and bacon do not make weight loss stop or stall. It's biologically implausible. The very idea that "processed food" can stop weight loss is ludicrous.

And I completely agree with that.... but I also believe that some people feel that they don't have control with certain foods. Learning to control yourself would be the best option, but for some just cutting it out completely is the only way.

I am not a cut out person (chocolate errrrydayyy :glasses: ) but my bestfriend has sworn off rice (among other things) for the past 5 years because she has no control with it. She knows that she won't gain 5lbs from eating rice, but she just hasn't gained the skills to turn down her 2nd 3rd 4th bowl of rice at a time.

Control is a different issue. If you're not losing weight because you keep binging on bacon, that makes sense.

If you're not losing weight, and claiming it's because you eat a slice of bacon every day, then that doesn't make sense.

It's calorie intake that determines weight change.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't take offense at your claims, I'll just tell you that they're incorrect.

How is she wrong? She isn't saying that this is the ONLY way to lose weight. From my understanding (maybe I am the wrong one here) she is saying it is the only way SHE has found success.

Some people can have 1-2-3 glasses of wine and can go on for days/months/weeks without craving or going into a binge. Others don't allow themselves to even have a drop because they feel that they can't control themselves with it. How is her approach different?

(btw, I hope this doesn't come off "snarky"... it is very hard to type things out nicely online....:flowerforyou: )

Certain foods such as coffee, creamer, and bacon do not make weight loss stop or stall. It's biologically implausible. The very idea that "processed food" can stop weight loss is ludicrous.

The plausible theory here is when OP is *not* avoiding these things, she isn't accurately tracking CICO.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    So, here's my take on this.

A few weeks ago, against my better judgement, I decided to try the Whole Life Challenge because my friends are doing it and I felt like it would be a fun social thing.

Before I started the challenge, I was IIFYM all the way.

I started the challenge and, almost immediately, started bingeing on the foods that I could not have. Why? Because mentally I was telling myself no and working myself up over it so much that the stress combined with the cravings led to bad behaviors.

I'm now very happily back to my normally scheduled programming.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I don't take offense at your claims, I'll just tell you that they're incorrect.

How is she wrong? She isn't saying that this is the ONLY way to lose weight. From my understanding (maybe I am the wrong one here) she is saying it is the only way SHE has found success.

Some people can have 1-2-3 glasses of wine and can go on for days/months/weeks without craving or going into a binge. Others don't allow themselves to even have a drop because they feel that they can't control themselves with it. How is her approach different?

(btw, I hope this doesn't come off "snarky"... it is very hard to type things out nicely online....:flowerforyou: )

Have to agree here. Do what you want, but I haven't stopped eating anything. I just don't gorge on it. I eat fast food 4 or 5 times a week. I've still lost weight and I feel great! Won't be stopping any time soon. This is TOO easy. I had to learn moderation. That's really it.

I can eat like this the rest of my life because i'm not depriving myself. It's much easier and sustainable that way :)
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Carefully balancing my macros to control my hunger and hypoglycemia and the hangries while eating at a deficit is the thing that works for me. This way took practice and a bit of self-control, but I'm years into the process and happy.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

A few weeks ago, against my better judgement, I decided to try the Whole Life Challenge because my friends are doing it and I felt like it would be a fun social thing.

I started the challenge and, almost immediately, started bingeing on the foods that I could not have. Why? Because mentally I was telling myself no and working myself up over it so much that the stress combined with the cravings led to bad behaviors.

This would be me completely. My husband is one of those that is all or nothing when it comes to changing diet, but I had to put my foot down the other day. I just can't eat lean meat and vegetables for dinner every day and the leftovers for every lunch.
  • smithcentral
    smithcentral Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've tried absolute and total denial of "forbidden foods"(depending on the diet plan of course). That didn't work for me long term. But what I can say has worked this time is portion control, better quality foods and an occassional 1 serving splurge of anything my heart desires... all weighed and logged in, of course, with the appropriate amount of excercise sprinkled in for good measure.

I do deny myself the second helpings and the excuses. All lifestyle change requires some denial, just what that means to each individual is a unique and personal matter.

I always keep in mind though that what works for me now, may need to be adjusted later. We all need to listen to our bodies and add some flexibility to the plate, too.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

We're happy to have you back.

IIFYM 4LYFE

:heart:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Some of the stuff you listed is easier to get the wrong calorie count. Counts for processed foods I think can be off by something like 15%. So if you measure slightly off, and the calories are 15% higher than posted, you can quickly remove your deficit. When you drink the creamer and milk, do you measure it?
  • PRMinx
    Options

We're happy to have you back.

IIFYM 4LYFE

:heart:

:flowerforyou:
  • PRMinx
    Options

This would be me completely. My husband is one of those that is all or nothing when it comes to changing diet, but I had to put my foot down the other day. I just can't eat lean meat and vegetables for dinner every day and the leftovers for every lunch.

Exactly.

I want to enjoy my life and food is a big part of that for me. :drinker:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Some of the stuff you listed is easier to get the wrong calorie count. Counts for processed foods I think can be off by something like 15%. So if you measure slightly off, and the calories are 15% higher than posted, you can quickly remove your deficit. When you drink the creamer and milk, do you measure it?

I came in to say this ^^^. The foods listed are pretty calorie dense, so if you aren't weighing it (or measuring the liquids) than you are quite possibly negating any deficit you have. If you have issues moderating those foods, than I totally get wanting to cut them out, but honestly I think that you should still eat them on occasion so that it's not so "all or nothing".

Have you considered upping your activity level so that you can more easily maintain a deficit while enjoying those foods? I admit it, I park my car a LONG way away from where I need to be to earn some cookie calories. This is in addition to my normal running/lifting schedule as it's not really going to improve my fitness level at this point, but dammit, I want a cookie, and that's good enough for me.

uIiVS0Y.gif

ETA: this thread really should be in a different category.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Exactly.

I want to enjoy my life and food is a big part of that for me. :drinker:

Agreed. I think there's no point to any of this if I'm not enjoying life.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Gluten. I avoid even tiny amounts of gluten so I don't die. (Celiac)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!