Husband dieting is disheartening!

Options
My husband started "dieting" (Just cut out beer and crap food) 2 weeks ago and had lost 17 lbs..ITS SO DISHEARTENING. I never eat like crap and I have lost barely anything. Its almost like whats the point? lol. I need help!

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    What's your stats, and what are his?

Are you seriously looking for help, or just venting?
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    We've all seen that commercial where the lady and the guy try to lose weight by taking something. She does the same stuff he does and he loses a ton more. I think it may be the hormones for men that help them lose more and quicker. This is also true on the Naked and Afraid show (btw a very interesting show). The guy and the girl basically starve, but the girls always drop less weight. Just not fair, but I definitely don't want to be a dude (I wouldn't know what to do with a *kitten*). :noway:
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I can definitely sympathize. It doesn't seem fair that men are able to lose weight so quickly. But try to look at the bright side: your husband just got more attractive. Enjoy it! :)
  • kimgeorge4
    kimgeorge4 Posts: 4
    Options
    Woman reserve fat in their body for child bearing and breast feeding because of that since men don't give birth than they do not require genetically to preserve fat in their body and men's bodies are more prone to develope muscle and they burn way more calories than a woman (unless its like a body builder lady or a guy who never gets off the couch). But the truth is it also depends on your interactions day to day. If he weighted 250lbs and started getting up and you weight 170, it takes a lot more work to move 250 so he is going to burn a lot more calories and lose more weight. Don't compare yourself to your husband, embrace that you both can get healthy together.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I remember reading that "Cathy" comic strip years ago where she went off to a fat farm, barely ate, exercised like a maniac and came back home proud to have lost two pounds. Her boyfriend told her he had cut out his evening ice cream and lost 20. :laugh: That's just the way it goes! Hang in there and you'll lose eventually and be happy your husband is getting healthier.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Look at this way. There are a lot of posts on here about husbands not getting with the program when the wives start MFP. Your husband is actually making some effort. Try being happy for him.
  • upthestairs87
    upthestairs87 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know what you meant, I gave up bad foods, alcohol, and soda, followed a healthy diet, and went to the gym 6 days a week for four months straight and only lost barely 10 pounds. My father started going to the gym in the morning four days a week and lost 25. So frustrating!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Look at this way. There are a lot of posts on here about husbands not getting with the program when the wives start MFP. Your husband is actually making some effort. Try being happy for him.

This. Don't make his weight loss about you. Make your weight loss about you. According to your ticker, you don't have much to lose so it should be slower anyway. Continue at a deficit and you'll eventually hit your goal no matter what your husband is doing.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You cannot compare your loss to his.

It seems the more weight someone has to lose, the faster it goes... in the beginning.

And also, while he is losing, you are getting stronger! He'll be jealous of your strength gains.

you win!
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    He lost that much that quickly because he was carrying around a lot of water from all the crap he eats. You never accumulated the water excess because you eat healthier, therefore your losses are more likely real fat than a bunch of water weight. Can't compare!

Enjoy the process ... ! Great that you're both on board!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    My husband could lose ten pounds in a week just by thinking about it. Some guys have it easy I guess!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I never eat like crap and I have lost barely anything.

There's your problem.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    My husband started "dieting" (Just cut out beer and crap food) 2 weeks ago and had lost 17 lbs..ITS SO DISHEARTENING. I never eat like crap and I have lost barely anything. Its almost like whats the point? lol. I need help!

He is losing weight because he is eating at a deficit, not because he cut out "crap food". Be happy for him not disheartened. You can lose weight too if you just consume fewer calories than your TDEE.

Plenty of people on here have lost weight while consuming beer and "junk" food. I think you need to worry less about what you are eating and focus instead on how much you are eating (while maintaining reasonable macro targets).

Good luck!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Eat the same amount of beer and crap food for 3 months. Weigh yourself at the end of the 3 months. Cut out the beer and crap for 3 months. Weigh yourself after 3 months. Job jobbed.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weightloss of 30lb! You look fab!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

This....

Men lose faster...they have more muscle mass to help burn off the fat. Their bodies are different, different hormones. Seriously, comparing apples to oranges.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You've lost 30 pound which isn't 'anything' How about instead of *****ing about it. Be happy for him and support him. Also looking at your diary you only log randomly and when you do log it's inaccurate. Weigh all your food (cups are not a good measurement) do it all of the time and eat within your goals and you'll lose weight quicker.

Celebrate your Husbands success Good luck
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Why would you get upset about his weight loss instead of encouraging him? His weight loss was mostly water anyway.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I have cut out beer (entirely) and junk food. I've added vegetables and healthy snacks. I've cut out sweets and have been counting my calories. I've been working out religiously for six months. . and I haven't lost a single pound. .

There. Did that make you feel better?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I have cut out beer (entirely) and junk food. I've added vegetables and healthy snacks. I've cut out sweets and have been counting my calories. I've been working out religiously for six months. . and I haven't lost a single pound. .

There. Did that make you feel better?

No beer?! I have a sad.