pics of my belly. it won't get flat! :(

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Do you lift weights?

Yup. I've been weight training for 3 months now

Do you lift heavy weights while at a caloric surplus (above or at maintenance) while maintaining a protein intake of about 0.8 grams per pound of LBM?

I lift in a defocit however I don't consume enough protein, and if I do somehow reach it I go way over my calories. Could that be the reaaon I'm not getting results? Not enough protein?

The reason you aren't getting results is that you have unrealistic expectations of the timeframe.

Open your food diary.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Do you lift weights?

Yup. I've been weight training for 3 months now

Do you lift heavy weights while at a caloric surplus (above or at maintenance) while maintaining a protein intake of about 0.8 grams per pound of LBM?

I lift in a defocit however I don't consume enough protein, and if I do somehow reach it I go way over my calories. Could that be the reaaon I'm not getting results? Not enough protein?

The reason you aren't getting results is that you have unrealistic expectations of the timeframe.

Open your food diary.

^that

Also what has your weight done for the past 4 weeks?
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Ok, just opened my diary.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    And your weight? (I have a reason for asking-- trying to determine if you're actually in a deficit)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    9/10 of a bagel?
    1oz of pork chop?

You aren't being accurate. I only need to see one day to know that. Your protein is also very low. Add some protein (chicken, eggs, fish, lean beef). Eat 4-6 oz at every meal. Cut back on cooking with the oils to save calories. Make food at home to have more control over your calories.

Start being accurate.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You need to tighten up on your logging - I agree with usmcmp, make more food at home so that you have control over the calories..

Plan your days - eat more protein
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    1oz of porkchop?

Why even bother eating?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OP I have a question. How many ppl have to tell you the same thing for you to beleive it? And in how many different ways...PM's and in the boards?

There is this thing called "google". Whenever I am unsure of information I have been told I like to check it on there. It's not easy it takes work and filtering for nonsense but yeah if someone here says something and then I take it to the boards and then someone says the same thing and then 12 ppl agree with that thing...if I STILL doubt it. I use the google machine. Skeptical is one thing...then there's .... well....
  • usmcmp
    Options
    1oz of porkchop?

Why even bother eating?

1 ounce of meat=
    the size of a small matchbook cover (yes, that small!)
    1 slice of sandwich size meat

This is about 3-4oz
    beef4d810a5bd052bc8273a40618f4a5.jpg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    1oz of porkchop?

Why even bother eating?

1 ounce of meat=
    the size of a small matchbook cover (yes, that small!)
    1 slice of sandwich size meat

This is about 3-4oz
    beef4d810a5bd052bc8273a40618f4a5.jpg

A matchbook cover?! That's even more depressing than what I had pictured.

I'm sorry OP, I don't mean to be rude but...that's no way to live.
  • christinea798
    Options
    I have same problem, are you working the tummy area or have you had kids?
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    And these are the reasons why I keep my diary closed. Ppl can really be harsh. Anyways I weigh 116. I was 114 but don't know what happened. My measurements have remained the same however.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I've had two kids and I never do ab exercises.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
    208779_4836519146024_2106642244_n_zps40881781.jpg
  • jardimgirl
    Options
    [/quote

Yes I have 1 son. I'm not doing any specific ab workouts
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    May I ask why protein is so.important? I don't usuall hit my suggested grams

Protein is necessary for muscles. Fat and/or Carbs are necessary for energy. If you aren't getting enough protein, you will not get a flat stomach. The only way to get a flat stomach is by building your abdominal muscles. If you are 125 pounds and sedentary, you need 50 grams of protein. If you are 200 pounds and active, you could need as much as 150 grams of protein.

Aaaaand THIS is wrong. Wow, people are on a roll today, huh?

The REAL way to get a flat stomach is to reduce the fat covering it. You do this by eating at a deficit and lifting heavy weights to maintain your lean muscle mass. You can "build up your abdominal muscles" all you want, but if there is fat on them, they will not be flat.

Aaaand you are also wrong. Lifting heavy weights and consuming lots of protein will give you mass, definitely not definition. Lifting weight that is moderate considering your level of conditioning and using free weights that work the whole muscle group, not using circut machines, will result in good tone.

Not in my experience. I've been lifting heavy, eating protein and eating at maintenance for a year and all I've gotten is definition-- very little in the way of mass building.

eat_mor_chikin.jpg

Are you eating in a deficit? Surplus = more mass

Dont eat more donuts and drink more lattes. Do what the cows say.

No, not Mooooo

Eat more chicken.

Umm. Thanks, but I'm doing what I intended to do all along-- recomp.

Mhm
  • usmcmp
    Options
    And these are the reasons why I keep my diary closed. Ppl can really be harsh. Anyways I weigh 116. I was 114 but don't know what happened. My measurements have remained the same however.

You've lost two pounds, so you are making progress. Sometimes swelling masks changes in measurements. Sometimes we lose fat from arms or boobs or around our organs or in the muscle (intramuscular fat). The scale would change, but measurements might not.

As I say, losing weight is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest of it is still wet. You don't get to pick where the fat comes off of, so just keep lifting and tracking your intake.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Protein builds muscle and the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn. Muscle helps increase your metabolism. My coach also suggests that you workout first thing in the morning before you eat and eat within an hour of getting up. Never skip meals, this slows down your metabolism. If you have a lot of stress in your life, this can also cause you to hang on to belly fat.

lol 100% bro science….
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

People aren't trying to be harsh-- just trying to help you achieve what you say you want. If you want it, you have to do the work.

I suspect you're not in a deficit due to inaccurate logging. That means that what progress you do make will be limited, especially since your protein is very low, probably about half of what it should be. If you really want to lose your stomach fat you need to commit to actually following the recommendations you've gotten. Give it a few months of accurate logging, lifting 3 days per week, hitting your calorie goal and getting .8 grams of protein per pound of weight (so about 92 grams).
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Protein builds muscle and the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn. Muscle helps increase your metabolism. My coach also suggests that you workout first thing in the morning before you eat and eat within an hour of getting up. Never skip meals, this slows down your metabolism. If you have a lot of stress in your life, this can also cause you to hang on to belly fat.

lol 100% bro science….

I skipped a meal once.

Gained 10 lbs

True story bro
  • usmcmp
    Options

lol 100% bro science….

I skipped a meal once.

Gained 10 lbs

True story bro

I skipped breakfast and my muscles fell off.

I started lifting and my uterus fell out.