pics of my belly. it won't get flat! :(

Options

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    My research as been you need to eat super clean and super low simple carbs. Eat fruit and vegetables with ample protein. Way more veggies than fruits. You're looking good so keep at it. Our bodies aren't aware of calendars I'm finding out. Slowly but surely I'm becoming the best me. Though it's not on the schedule I wanted I'm so much happier that I'm ON a schedule of healthy eating and exercise.

HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    My research as been you need to eat super clean and super low simple carbs. Eat fruit and vegetables with ample protein. Way more veggies than fruits. You're looking good so keep at it. Our bodies aren't aware of calendars I'm finding out. Slowly but surely I'm becoming the best me. Though it's not on the schedule I wanted I'm so much happier that I'm ON a schedule of healthy eating and exercise.

Where the heck are you researching?

I mean, I eat clean. I never eat food that fell on the floor... *nods* Then again, that is usually because the cats get it first *sad face*
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    usmcmp in your experienced opinion what TDEE deficit range can you still add muscle and perform a recomp where you slowly muscle build and lose fat?

I assume a surplus would greatly speed the muscle building but you seem to be a big proponent of gains during a cut so I'm wondering what your experience there is.

Like TDEE - 5% or just a few 100 calories under or what?

Hopefully not a de-rail of OPs thread to ask since its a similar topic, just wondering for myself as when I get my bodyfat under control to a more fit level with a larger deficit I was trying to decide if I wanted to go into a surplus bulk or a slow cut while trying to build some muscle over long term (recomp)

I have never said the general population will build lean mass in a deficit. In most threads I encourage people to lift and eat protein to preserve lean mass, not recomp or add muscle. People who are under trained (first year of actually pushing limits) or obese could make some gains especially if they are averaging no more than 10% below TDEE (this would also be taking into consideration the slight drop in metabolism when you diet).

My suggestion to you would be to get below 10% then reverse diet (slowly add 100 calories every couple of weeks until you see a gain). This is going to help you avoid rebounding and will help you determine your TDEE. After that just maintain the calories until you plateau, then add a couple hundred more. If your body fat starts creeping up you do a mini cut. I'm not following any of that advice because I'm a fat kid at heart and I'm eating all the food. I think most people who attempt recomp end up frustrated.
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I am not going to scrowl through pages of eating tips - everyone else has gone there for you
    I think some hardcore core work will help
    Stability ball rollouts
    Lift and lower using a bar - pull knees up to chest while hanging
    Stomach vaccums - on all fours and sucking in your core as hard as you can and holding this10 seconds, 20 seconds etc
    Planks - my favourite - NOT - 3 sets of 60 seconds each

Food and cardio and core work will help - this will take time and patience
    Also practise your posture - look in mirror and pull your posture in, practise tightening the core

Just something else to consider

Thanks

D
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Protein builds muscle and the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn. Muscle helps increase your metabolism. My coach also suggests that you workout first thing in the morning before you eat and eat within an hour of getting up. Never skip meals, this slows down your metabolism. If you have a lot of stress in your life, this can also cause you to hang on to belly fat.

lol 100% bro science….

I skipped a meal once.

Gained 10 lbs

True story bro

I skipped breakfast and my muscles fell off.

I started lifting and my uterus fell out.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAH OMG clearly I have no abs cos it hurts laughing this hard :P
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Try reverse crunches. Lay flat on your back and lift your legs instead of your shoulders. This will work the lowest section of your abs that sit-ups and regular crunches don't target. Also, try looking up lower abdominal workouts. There may be some other workouts that will help.
    Workouts don't make flat abs. Fat loss does and working specific muscles to try to reduce fat in that area is ineffective. While ab exercises are great for ab strengthening, it's more about calories in/out that will help to lower BF% down.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Protein builds muscle and the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn. Muscle helps increase your metabolism. My coach also suggests that you workout first thing in the morning before you eat and eat within an hour of getting up. Never skip meals, this slows down your metabolism. If you have a lot of stress in your life, this can also cause you to hang on to belly fat.
    Your "coach" has much to learn still. With the exception of stress and protein, the rest you've be informed on is broscience.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    And these are the reasons why I keep my diary closed. Ppl can really be harsh. Anyways I weigh 116. I was 114 but don't know what happened. My measurements have remained the same however.

People aren't trying to be harsh-- just trying to help you achieve what you say you want. If you want it, you have to do the work.

I suspect you're not in a deficit due to inaccurate logging. That means that what progress you do make will be limited, especially since your protein is very low, probably about half of what it should be. If you really want to lose your stomach fat you need to commit to actually following the recommendations you've gotten. Give it a few months of accurate logging, lifting 3 days per week, hitting your calorie goal and getting .8 grams of protein per pound of weight (so about 92 grams).

That is suppose to be .8 grams of protein per kilogram of weight (or 0.37 grams per pound) for a non-athlete. For someone who is trying to build some muscle or doing extensive exercise that can go to 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of weight. When it comes to the professional body builder, doing 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight will stress the liver and heart due to ammonia and other toxic substances building up.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The only way to get a flat stomach is by building your abdominal muscles.
    So how is it many teenagers who don't exercise their abs have flat stomachs? One reason: low body fat. Everyone has ab muscles. The degree of conditioning will be due to how they are exercised, but BF percentage is more due to diet.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mkultr4
    mkultr4 Posts: 1
    Options
    More protein, less calories and a ton of determination. That's all it takes.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lifting heavy weights and consuming lots of protein will give you mass, definitely not definition.
    Well, not if one is in calorie deficit. One would have to be in calorie surplus for this to happen.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I know exactly where your coming from I have something that can help you I have lost 10lbs and still going.
    christinealdous.my.zija@gmail.com
    Oh damn. Here comes the spam...............and not the good spam either. MLM moocher on the loose!

IDEA Fitness member
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    And these are the reasons why I keep my diary closed. Ppl can really be harsh. Anyways I weigh 116. I was 114 but don't know what happened. My measurements have remained the same however.

People aren't trying to be harsh-- just trying to help you achieve what you say you want. If you want it, you have to do the work.

I suspect you're not in a deficit due to inaccurate logging. That means that what progress you do make will be limited, especially since your protein is very low, probably about half of what it should be. If you really want to lose your stomach fat you need to commit to actually following the recommendations you've gotten. Give it a few months of accurate logging, lifting 3 days per week, hitting your calorie goal and getting .8 grams of protein per pound of weight (so about 92 grams).

That is suppose to be .8 grams of protein per kilogram of weight (or 0.37 grams per pound) for a non-athlete. For someone who is trying to build some muscle or doing extensive exercise that can go to 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of weight. When it comes to the professional body builder, doing 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight will stress the liver and heart due to ammonia and other toxic substances building up.

http://www.jissn.com/content/11/1/20/abstract
    "most but not all bodybuilders will respond best to consuming 2.3-3.1 g/kg of lean body mass per day of protein"

That's basically 1 gram per pound lean body mass. Although most bodybuilders I personally know eat more like 1.3+grams per pound body weight. I'm pretty sure the body doesn't build up ammonia or toxic substances unless you have tyrosinemia (I think there might be a few more other rare diseases, but I can't remember them).
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    My research as been you need to eat super clean and super low simple carbs.
    Must be from bb.com or some MLM business. There are lots of people on here who have "dirty" foods in their diet and are pretty lean and defined.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

...The REAL way to get a flat stomach is to reduce the fat covering it. You do this by eating at a deficit and lifting heavy weights to maintain your lean muscle mass. You can "build up your abdominal muscles" all you want, but if there is fat on them, they will not be flat.

:drinker:
  • ercraw
    ercraw Posts: 3
    Options
    Weight training begins in the kitchen. It is all about diet, not going on a diet per say, but how you eat, how much you eat, the quantity and quality of the foods you eat.

I don't know if it will work for you or if it has been mentioned in this thread (as I am unwilling to read four pages), I have some good friends that have lost good weight by getting smart about the PALEO diet and adjusting it to their life style. I personally cannot attest to it's benefits as I am 6'4" and 175 pounds with a wrench in my pocket. I have to work hard to build muscle myself and everything I have read say read more!

Research, talk to your doctor. When it sounds like crap, it is crap. A proper diet is proper but it can and should be modified to your lifestyle. When you are adjusting to a new level of fitness for the first time or the first time in a long time, it seems daunting. Take small steps in the kitchen to improve the quality and quantity of the foods you eat. As you progress you will naturally look for better foods and learn more about eating properly.

Listening to fools is foolish but do listen to what the wiser folks have said and make it work for you as each of us have different bodies and more protein this or more carbs that or no gluten or all fish or fir effs sake!!!!

Take the advice of the wiser people around (which does not mean follow their every word) and find what works for you. It "can be done by summer" but it's not likely and probably means starving yourself and that is not healthy so don't do it. Develop the right habits and it won't be an issue again after Christmas and Thanksgiving this year.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I said exactly what I meant to say. Sources are in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake

RDA doesn't account for people who are active and/or at a deficit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/869015-fundamental-flaws-with-rda-recommendations-for-protein
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Continue eating at a deficit. Lift weights/Exercise. Maybe don't call yourself gross.