Non-food, non-clothes reward ideas

Options
Hi,

I am currently living away from home (UK) and am living in India for work purposes.

After initially struggling to lose weight in India due to lifestyle changes, I have managed to overcome the challenges and the scales are moving slowly in the right direction.

I would love to lose 7lb from now till when I return home in end July or Mid Aug. The problem is I am wailing in motivation right now.

Does anyone have any non-food, non-clothes reward ideas that I can use to keep me motivated? The reason I say non-clothes is because I am planning to start trying for a baby over the next year or so, so don't want to splash out on clothes right now.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Replies

• rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    New running sneakers, jewelry, makeup, things that make you happy.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get a mani/pedi when I make it to Onederland :smile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Pamper yourself - whole package spa day or at least a massage and/or mani/pedi. I also like kaaaaylee's ideas, especially jewelry as earrings or a nice bracelet will always fit regardless of how much weight you might gain during your pregnancy.
  • blupanda12
    blupanda12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm rewarding myself with new music every 5 pounds right now. Since I rarely buy music, it's been quite the motivator to finally have a reason to spend the money on stuff I like :D. I second the other ideas! When I get to half-way, I'm going to splurge with a super-nice massage package.
  • JeniSue28
    JeniSue28 Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Massage, mani/pedi, spa day, new hair cut/sytle/color, new makeup, new sneakers, new golf clubs, day at the beach, day out doing what ever you want... really anything that you like or like to do would work.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I drink tea, not coffee, so one for me is allowing myself to purchase more expensive teas.

I set small goals for myself, like stay under my calorie goal 6 of 7 days or exercise at least five days, if I accomplish that goal I buy myself some flowers.

A new waterbottle, heart rate monitor, work out DVD or other weight loss related items that you maybe wouldn't otherwise bother buying for yourself. Even spending $10 on some bright colored, funky socks can put some pep in your step.

An expensive nail polish. (I tend to buy cheap nail polish, though.)

You can stash $ in a jar to use for a vacation, new baby stuff, or something else that excites you. I wouldn't use lbs though, but instead non-weight goals.

One guilt-free day.( use it against whatever you feel guilty about most often, maybe you take an extra day off from exercising when you have a super busy schedule or you add an extra 200 calories one day for an extra treat or are planning on going shopping and want to spend a little extra money)

Buy luxe ingredients for at-home facial, still cheap but feels so amazing. And you can store for later use.

A footbath. Feels so great after you workout to just let your feet soak, and it feels even better when you know you worked for it.

I'm a big reader, so I'll let myself have a shopping spree at a thrift store or used book store.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a charm braclet (troll beads, Pandora, or a copy), and add a charm each time you lose 5 pounds.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a charm braclet (troll beads, Pandora, or a copy), and add a charm each time you lose 5 pounds.

I love that idea! :)

For big goals, I have planned tattoos as rewards. But that's probably not for everyone.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    A private lesson. Tennis, golf, even piano. Nothing like instruction from a pro. I'm planning on taking a swimming lesson this summer.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that I couldn't lower my cholesterol without medication. I want to prove her wrong. So, in a way that is my reward. To say hey I did it without a drug! I have lost weight in the process and I feel good about that!
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I book a massage or a pamper session, you can get good deals on groupon etc It really depends on what kind of things you like. You could put money in a jar for every 1lb you lose. Every time I resist the urge to order a pizza or go for some other junk food I put money in the jar for that too. I bought myself a tablet and a new phone with the money.
  • HotMessPrincess
    HotMessPrincess Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a Pandora charm bracelet for my 50 lbs lost reward...and I add a charm for every milestone and non-scale victory.

Some charms are weight related and others are for non-scale victories. For example, when I lost 50 pounds I bought myself a little charm shaped like a handheld mirror...because it was no longer quite so painful to look in the mirror. :-) I add a colored glass charm for every size I drop.

It's exciting and fun to shop for charms for each milestone, especially since they're not all based on the reading on the scale.

My next charms will be a butterfly when I hit Twoderville (five pounds to go!) and a crystal heart when I've lost my first 100 pounds. I'm thinking of getting the bride & groom charm for the day that I finally weigh LESS than my husband...first time ever for that.

I don't know if Pandora has a store in India, but I know there are tons of Pandora-like items available on Amazon.com...that might be helpful.

Good luck to you!!!

http://www.hotmessprincess.com
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You're so lucky to be in India now. How about treating yourself to day trips to wonderful sights while you're there; some wonderful Indian jewellery, a special sari or scarf, sandals.
    Have fun.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I've been putting quarters in my"starbucks" jar. I use that for treats, sometimes it's Starbucks, a nice candle, craft supplies, or some other unplanned treat.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options

I love that idea! :)

For big goals, I have planned tattoos as rewards. But that's probably not for everyone.

That is my goal is getting a tattoo as well. As for the smaller goals I love the charm bracelet, I have a Pandora bracelet and still have just 3 charms, I think I am going to get another one once I am out of the 170's, thanks for the idea!
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a charm bracelet (troll beads, Pandora, or a copy), and add a charm each time you lose 5 pounds.

What a great idea. I actually have a charm bracelet which is currently charmless (if that makes sense). I think I will go online & pick my first charm to buy when I'm 5lb down.

Thank you for this fab idea. :wink:
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm another one to book a massage, or a facial. I tend to do a 4 weekly cycle. If I've been good for 4 weeks then I tend to go and have something done.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Why reward yourself at all? Sorry but it seems a bit vain to have to financially self-congratulate yourself when weight loss itself should be the incentive, not the prospect of a lovely new blouse.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Why reward yourself at all? Sorry but it seems a bit vain to have to financially self-congratulate yourself when weight loss itself should be the incentive, not the prospect of a lovely new blouse.

I can't see why this is vain. If I achieve a goal in life or something which I am proud of, why not recognize that in the form of reward (financial or non financial). I think to successfully reach a weight loss goal, then the weight loss itself has to be your primary incentive/motivator. However, if II want to mark his achievement with a 'reward' then I will.

Perhaps if I was full of self hatred, then I would skip the reward & just tell myself I'm not worth it.