Non-food, non-clothes reward ideas

Options

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Why reward yourself at all? Sorry but it seems a bit vain to have to financially self-congratulate yourself when weight loss itself should be the incentive, not the prospect of a lovely new blouse.

Because that's the way brains work. If you do x thing and get a reward that lights up the happy bits, you're more likely to keep doing x. It works on mice, and it works on us. Positive reinforcement is an extremely effective training method.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal winning: a tattoo. A Harry Potter one, no less.

Short term: I'm a make up junkie. I love all things beauty related, so if I reach mini goals, I'll splurge on things I want but are super pricey.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if I was full of self hatred, then I would skip the reward & just tell myself I'm not worth it.

Oh please. So by not rewarding yourself just means you are worthless? Bring out the violins.

Maybe people can just be happy enough without the weight loss.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Why reward yourself at all? Sorry but it seems a bit vain to have to financially self-congratulate yourself when weight loss itself should be the incentive, not the prospect of a lovely new blouse.

Then I guess I'm vain - which is perfectly okay with me.

I haven't rewarded myself yet - but I plan to when all is said and done. Weight loss IS the incentive (actually my incentive is better health overall). But the bonus(es) are fun little things to congratulate yourself with. *shrug*
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I guess I must be vain too.

Anyone who rewards themselves with non essential items (make-up, jewelery, tattoos....and erm 'blouses') we're all vain - shame on us all!! Hell, fire and damnation. :sad:
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like to skateboard, so when I hit my halfway point, I'm going to buy myself some new trucks!

OP, perhaps you have an activity you really like and you have been wanting to upgrade your equipment (yoga mat, dumbells, cooking utensils, crafting, etc..)?
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    When i get to my halfway point, I'm going sky diving. :)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    massage, facial, mani, pedi, makeup, shoes, a car wash, a plant, a music download, nail polish, a plant, jewelry...
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Get your nails done, get a new bit of makeup- lipstick, eyeshadow, etc. get some fancy skin lotion, get a spray tan, get a massage, essentially, treat yourself.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options

I financially self-congratulate myself often- it's called taking care of myself! To restructure that as a goal for an extra little motivation kick isn't wrong, it's helpful. We have our goals, and yes, weight loss, body composition, etc is the main goal, but it isn't bad to have lovely things to work toward during the journey. Now go do one of those things for your love if you have one and watch him or her light up!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Check out my profile, I have a full rewards system in place for every 25lbs until goal. Ranges from a HRM to a Gucci watch.
  • youngmummy2014
    Options
    i've lost 3kg, so i am rewarding myself in a few days by getting my first ever massage :)
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    give yourself money. everytime you lose a set amount say 5 lbs set aside a $5 or some amount like that that you can put aside for you and your future baby then use that money to get something special. i don't know lol just thought i would think of something different. lol
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    movies, small accessories, spa, manicure, pedicure, facials, body massage, a new book, lots of "feel good" rewards that are not expensive or food related.
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Pampering is a great idea. The thing with a "reward" is that it needs to be something you don't really need (I tried new jeans, but my old jeans wore out before I hit the goal. Wearing the worn-out jeans was more of a punishment and just kinda silly.) and something you don't normally buy for yourself (I tried a new dvd, but I buy dvds fairly frequently, so it really wasn't special.). My reward for my next goal is an upgrade to a current membership. I want it and am really looking forward to getting it, but in the meanwhile, I can get along just fine until I hit that goal.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    movies, small accessories, spa, manicure, pedicure, facials, body massage, a new book, lots of "feel good" rewards that are not expensive or food related.

Oh, and a free make over at the cosmetic counter that will surely boost you to keep losing weight and look good :)
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This weekend I am rewarding myself with a pedicure. I am a tattoo rewarder as well (but I get that isn't for everyone)
  • MissBounceUK
    MissBounceUK Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    For me, it's fitness equipment. I've rewarded myself with a new set of dumbells for when I start ChaLEAN Extreme at the end of this month and a punch bag to hang in our garage so I can de-stress when I get home from work and burn calories at the same time.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Mani/pedi, facial, massage, sneakers, kettlebells, a heart rate monitor.
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I know mine are a bit outlandish. However, I will be jumping out of a plane with my four best girlfriends who went on this journey with me. My second reward is to go for a hot air balloon ride with my dad.

Both are things I always wanted to do but felt too heavy, awkward, and uncomfortable in my own skin to complete my rewards.

My plane ride is scheduled for July since I met my first goal!
    Good luck.