Starting the Apple Diet Today with my Wife

Options

Replies

• IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Piglet tried this diet years ago...
    pigletstomach.png
    ...so I shoved a spike up his *kitten*, basted him with Pooh's honey, grilled him and ate every last piece of him!
    f.gif
    Oh, sweet sweet Piglet.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Nvm.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You do realized once you start eating again the weight will come back on!!!

The things people will do to lose weight!! :grumble:

um.. only if they go back to over eating. I'm not a fan of this diet, but eating a VLCD does not automatically mean that all the weight will come back on if you start to eat properly afterwards. If they go and over eat after the 3 days then yes the weight will come back. but if they proceed to then eat the right amount of calories the weight will stay off. This is not the way to go about losing weight, but your assumption is wrong.

There will be an upswing because of glycogen replenishment. But, yeah, once that muscle is gone, it's really hard to put back.

Funny.. i started out eating a vlcd... and worked my way up until I finally got to a normal intake. hmmm.. the only weight I put back on was a year later when I "over celebrated" Christmas. I'm also boatloads stronger then I was. So.. eh.. whatever. :drinker:

PS.. 3 days is not going to hurt you in the long run. It wouldn't make me happy, but it's not going to cause premanent muscle loss.

Three days isn't going to do much of anything at all.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Even if I'm full before I eat it, an apple always makes me feel hungry. It's weird, but true.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My initial though was, this will not end well.

Having tried to understand that you are hoping to learn better habits through these 3 days...well, my intial thought hasn't changed.

The plus side, 3 days is not that long of a time...but long enough that I'd be crazy MAD because my body was hangry with me.

A little food for thought for the OP and his wife:

If you are wanting to make some sustainable changes to your eating habits, for the long term. Start small. Borrow a vegetarian cook book from the library (or just bookmark a blog) and make an effort to shop for all the ingredients and prepare something new once a week, then do it twice a week. Then, when you are eyeing a snack, put the chips/cookies on your plate beside an apple, berries, melon whatever and eat that. Slowly incorporate the fruits and veggies that you say you have trouble eating into your meals.

Work together with your wife to plan out your dinners for a week - make enough that you can have leftovers for lunch (or breakfast).

Best wishes.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    OP: Sorry for picking on your English. My PostDoc was lipid biochemistry, and now I run a protein lab.

So seriously: 3 days of this won't kill you. If it gets you to eat more veggies, then that can't be a bad thing.

And I do know how hard planning, shopping, cooking etc can be: I have 3 kids and keeping them fed with food I think is good for them AND they all eat is a nightmare! Maybe sit down together one night a week and plan out a menu for the upcoming week, then go shopping?

Because what happens when the meal plans run out on Day 4? Is there some sort of continuing plan, or will you keep eating the same stuff?

Neither you nor your wife are overweight. I *strongly* suggest you look into recomposition for when you come off this. Recomp is where you aim to keep at roughly the same body weight, but slowly build some muscle and shed some fat, dropping your body fat %. You can do it on a slight deficit even, to shed those few pounds you think you are carrying, and to make you lighter for rock climbing. But you don't need to be doing crash dieting at your weight or activity level. Food is fuel, and you will need fuel if you are training for a tri, or hanging off a cliff face.

Put your biochem training to some good use, and think about this logically. Find your TDEE and you eat at that. Find your wife's TDEE, and have her eat at that. Make sure you both get 1 g/lb body weight protein. Train hard.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Even if I'm full before I eat it, an apple always makes me feel hungry. It's weird, but true.

You need to put peanut butter on it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Apples are awesome, everyone should only eat apples!

that reminds me of a mnemonic of how to spell diarrhoea (the British spelling way - for the American spelling way omit "only")

down
    in
    Africa
    Red
    Riding
    Hood
    only
    eats
    apples

memorable because if you only ate apples you would get diarrhoea....
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1248392-time-management

There are some good tips here, if you have trouble coordinating it all.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    this actually sounds great!

i would make the following alterations though...

i would remove the apple from before each meal, and in its place i would add more of the food i enjoy eating (like lovely proteins and fats and carbs)
    also, eat more food.

Thumbsup-alec.gif

Stop with the logic!
    ng1t8n.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Oh, MFP...
  • Asher09
    Asher09 Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for the kind post Richard. I think you are 100% correct on everything you said. I think body recomp is a good plan moving forward and one we have been thinking about. We both want to watch what we eat and be more healthy with our food selection. We have two little boys and want them to eat well. Our goal is to lose the weight gradually as the summer goes on, through good eating and hard training.

No - they are not doing the apple thing with us..

They love fruits (all kinds), chicken, red meat, and esp Fish!!! They have friends that will only eat hot dogs and french fries. I am glad they love good food.

Got to love fish in Seattle!!!!!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine what all of those apples will do to your stomach. It would tear mine up. Good luck to you.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    This sounds awful, and VLCD.

The jury is not "out" on whether this is a good idea or not; myself and many others are saying right now that it's a a terrible idea.

I do not recommend.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Any time I see "The ___ Diet" where ____ is a specific type of food I assume that all it does is make everyone on it hate _____ for years to come.

Just eat whatever you want at a slight caloric deficit and you'll lose weight. Why do people overly complicate things so much?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine what all of those apples will do to your stomach. It would tear mine up. Good luck to you.

Well, this
    dumb-and-dumber-toilet-relief-o.gif
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

I like my muscles...and ice cream
    Muscles are over rated. As long as you put ice cream on the apples, you are good.

Personal preference! I am quite fond of my muscles.

Apples make me hungry. I can eat three and not feel anything. Ice cream... ♡♡♡

Talenti Caramel Apple Pie Gelato. Just sayin'. Apples, Ice cream, muscles. WIN!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options

Well, this
    dumb-and-dumber-toilet-relief-o.gif

Its only 3 apples a day - I don't eat many apples but I dont see that as an excessive amount.

I often eat 2 -3 fruits per day - usually bananas and mandarins but I dont see any issue with 3 apples per se.

Actually the overall diet looks ok - just needs more to it - but if you were to increase some of the portions to bring the calorie level up to a normal amount or throw in another few hundred calories, say with an additional sandwich, seems basically ok to me.
  • glitznglamour15
    glitznglamour15 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Haha when I saw this topic, I though it was going to be a joke xD but nope, its not! Good luck to you on that.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I like my muscles...and ice cream
    Muscles are over rated. As long as you put ice cream on the apples, you are good.

Personal preference! I am quite fond of my muscles.

Apples make me hungry. I can eat three and not feel anything. Ice cream... ♡♡♡

Talenti Caramel Apple Pie Gelato. Just sayin'. Apples, Ice cream, muscles. WIN!
    I had this for the first time last week. SOOOOOO good!