Is being 18 supposed to be hard?

Options

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    TFW born in '85 and not sure if Gen X or Gen Y.
    Should I be telling people to get off my lawn or getting off people's lawns?

At 18 I was in first year uni. For a variety of reasons, I can't really remember anything that happened that year.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't know- different situations for different people. 18 was stressful for me- taking some of the most challenging tests I've taken to finish HS, applying and stressing over college admissions, getting used to becoming an adult, girl stress. That year is only rivaled in stress to my second year in medical school.

Many adult jobs really aren't that stressful (mine is relatively fine). Now, not having a job or health issues certainly can be, but really, which adult jobs are so bad (and why not switch if they are intolerable?)
  • REGINA889
    REGINA889 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't know- different situations for different people. 18 was stressful for me- taking some of the most challenging tests I've taken to finish HS, applying and stressing over college admissions, getting used to becoming an adult, girl stress. That year is only rivaled in stress to my second year in medical school.

Many adult jobs really aren't that stressful (mine is relatively fine). Now, not having a job or health issues certainly can be, but really, which adult jobs are so bad (and why not switch if they are intolerable?)

This is a very good point. It's all relative.
  • One_Last_Time
    One_Last_Time Posts: 125
    Options
    Never having kids.
    Got a job when I was 16, moved out at 17. Finished high school, payed all my own bills. I don't think it was hard. I was way happier being on my own. I can't stand self entitled kids or this generation of "music".
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    18 isn't supposed to be hard but it is supposed to be done through a haze of alcohol abuse and badly thought out "seemed like a good idea at the time" ideas which can make it seem hard if the correct mixture of alcohol isn't applied.
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I think Justin Bieber is supremely talented and very misunderstood. Most people who diss him have not bought his albums.

UcAhfhS.gif
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I think Justin Bieber is supremely talented and very misunderstood. Most people who diss him have not bought his albums.

There is some truth to what he said, most people who diss him probably really haven't bought his albums.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

UcAhfhS.gif

Me dissing him has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with the fact he's a spoilt *kitten*.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    dont hate cuz he's canadian

justin_wink.gif
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

It'd be nice if things were in my world as simple as they are in yours....and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    dont hate cuz he's canadian

justin_wink.gif

Hate cuz he's a talentless w@
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I heard that when it's that length, it never really gets fully hard.

You... I like you.

Seconded!
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    18 was hard because my parents kept taking away the cell phone they were paying for me to use, I wasn't allowed to drive the extra car they bought because I would always take it to skip school, and life just was so unfair ;)
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Eighteen was pretty fantastic, because at 17, I moved out of my mom and stepdad's house to live with my dad instead, 3000 miles away. The years prior to that were pretty hard, though, what with the alcoholism and emotional and sexual abuse and arrests for domestic violence and the having to cook dinner for myself and my brother all the time and the thirty horses to feed and water twice a day (before and after school) and the being underfed and overworked and the having no friends parts.

But kids these days, am I right?

south-park-rabble-o.gif
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Ouch, everybody ripping on us Millenials? We aren't that bad. We were just raised differently. You need what Socrates said back in classical times?

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

All adults are the same. They are always blaming the generation after them. :laugh:

Actually, my kids all say sir and ma'am, always use good manners, always stand up when an adult enters the room, don't play video games unless it's educational and supervised, all have an excersize routine fit for their age, don't contradict my husband and I, wait until everyone sits at the table to reach for food if it's not already on their plate, the girls all cross their legs when in dresses or skirts, don't talk out of turn unless it's very important like a sibling got hurt, and they all get straight A's. My kids respect everything they have and evreryone they meet. They are 12, 7, 4, and 2. Obviously the 2 and 4 yr olds are the excemption sometimes but that gets even rarer as they get older. My husband goes to school full time as do I and I work full time, yet we still find a way and the time to teach our kids the value of a dollar and the same morals our parents and grandparents grew up with. Don't get me wrong, my kids are not perfect little angels. They are, however, well on their way to becomming respected, productive members of society. They care about how they look because their self image matters, not what others think of them. They don't waste their time listening to bullies or getting caught up in stupid crap that most kids do nowadays.
  • AtticWindow
    Options
    Ouch, everybody ripping on us Millenials? We aren't that bad. We were just raised differently. You need what Socrates said back in classical times?

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

All adults are the same. They are always blaming the generation after them. :laugh:

Yeah, I quoted Cicero. ("Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents and everyone's writing a book.") But if they don't blame millenials, who else can they misdirect their ire towards!! :wink:
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    This is the definition of a failing parody thread.
  • AtticWindow
    Options

Your FACE is the definition of a failing parody thread.

Wait. What?
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

Yeah, I quoted Cicero. ("Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents and everyone's writing a book.") But if they don't blame millenials, who else can they misdirect their ire towards!! :wink:
    Are those quotes verifiable though?

The Socrates one is certainly apocryphal (at best) since the dude didn't leave any writings. The one by Cicero I've seen before but never saw a reference for it...
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Your FACE is the definition of a failing parody thread.

Wait. What?
    oh GURL, you are gonna get POUNCED for that..

Wait for it....
    IPIwkIS.gif
    Wait for it....