How do you remember your routine at gym?

Options
One thing that always snags my up.....I walk into gym. Do my cardio (easy to remember to walk/run for 20 minutes).

Then I get down into the weight section and have a hard time remembering the 12+ exercises I am supposed to be doing, how many, what weight, etc. Even if I write down the names on a small piece of paper for my pocket most of time I don't remember what each one looks like (I need pictures).

I really don't want to carry around a big notebook - those guys seem silly looking.

Any other suggestions from experienced gym rats?

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Not silly at all - get yourself a book, write out your routine and track your progress. You can also include how you felt that day, physically or mentally.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I use an app on my iPhone, it tells me what to do and what I did the last three times I was there.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I used a pad and pen for years. Never felt silly at all. Now I use a phone app called jefit
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Get a notebook or a smart phone app (there are several). It's not silly! You need to record your workouts so that you can track your progress.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Time. When I start a new routine, I carry a post it note for the first 2-3 workouts. Then it's memorized for me. 12 exercises is a hefty workout though.

But really, a notebook is fine. Plenty of the very advanced bodybuilding and powerlifting routines require trainees to carry a notebook around. I always preferred a pencil and post it note and left it in my pocket. Then inputted the data into my spreadsheet at home.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the guys with the big notebooks are likely the experienced gym rats. If you have a smartphone, you can check out an app called StrengthCalc. It's pretty good.

ETA: Jefit is pretty awesome too.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I currently use an app on my phone called Gym Buddy but I downloaded and am trying to figure out JeFit because I'm seriously out of date here . . .
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I use a pen and notebook.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Used to track it in excel spreadsheets (pen and paper in the gym). Now JeFit app after MFP turned me on to it. It really is a great little app.
  • shmerek
    Options
    I must have tried at least 20 different gym apps. I used gym buddy for a while then settled on physique which is simple and quick to enter your reps etc. Only downside is if you accidentally end the workout you can't restart it or continue it in any way.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Make it simple. Stronglifts 5x5. 5 lifts, 2 workouts. Keep it simple, once you master those lifts, add accessory work.
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This is why I love Stronglifts. Less exercises to remember.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i carry around a notebook.

the people at the gym that bounce around from machine to machine, not sure about their routine, lifting up dumb bells only to put them down after two reps because they were too heavy/light... they're the ones that look silly to me.
  • quzly
    quzly Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've carried around post-its and note cards. It makes a big difference in hitting everything I want to do. Otherwise I'll always forget something.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    This is a great question. I always forget what I am suppose to be doing as well.
  • ShadeyC
    ShadeyC Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone too. But if your trainer set your work out then it should be on a card at your gym anyway?
    Don't feel funny about carrying around a note book and pen. You can't be expected to remember all that and how many reps you got if you are concentrating on what you are doing with good form!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I must have tried at least 20 different gym apps. I used gym buddy for a while then settled on physique which is simple and quick to enter your reps etc. Only downside is if you accidentally end the workout you can't restart it or continue it in any way.

WONDERING WHICH Y'ALL LIKE BEST. SOMEONE MENTIONED GYM BUDDY?
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I guess I look silly I carry a notebook and since I can't see to read, a pair of reading glasses. ..
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I use a notebook and pencil. The biggest thing I forget is the weight I'm lifting for each, which is why I like to record what I've done. You could have a page of small pictures that remind you what the lifts are that you keep in the front of your notebook. (I use the small, about 3x5 or so, size, but I see many experienced people who use the 8x11 size ones)
  • shmerek
    Options

WONDERING WHICH Y'ALL LIKE BEST. SOMEONE MENTIONED GYM BUDDY?
    I used Gym buddy but switched to physique, it is iPhone only. I like it because it isn't filled with pictures and videos. It is easy to enter your reps and weights, you can export the data via csv file, it does progressive overload so it knows what you did the last time you did the workout, you can look at your last three workouts during the current workout and has rest timers. Best one for me in terms of simplicity and ease/quickness of use. I am not typing or scrolling or doing any of that stuff more than I have to.
    http://physiqueapp.com