How do you remember your routine at gym?

Options

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I have a small notebook - it's easy to tuck under my arm and it's not obvious I have it... not that I really care if people see it lol. I write down my routines, and I also keep track of my running times. Without my workout written down, I have a hard time remembering what I wanted to do, and I end up wasting time.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have my workout saved in my BB and also carry it on a piece of paper too. That hour in the gym is too precious to waste it wondering around trying to remember what to do next. On occasion, I vary the running order if a piece of equipment is not available but generally I follow the same routine. Particularly for the days when I don't feel like going to the gym - I show up and follow the programme on autopilot - helps get me thru and it's better than doing nothing.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've got my routine in my notes in my cell & I have my cell clipped to my waistband when working out.

Years ago I would take a clipboard with the workout on it & I would fill in weights used & reps for each set. Using my cell is easier. The info is important to have for planning the next workout & knowing when/how much to increase weights.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Get a notebook or a tattoo.
  • grim_streaker
    grim_streaker Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    12+ excersises? Damn bro, no one remembers that :)
    But seriously better cut down on those numbers and rather up the intensity to 11. I have only 4-5 different excersises pr training and I'm not in the gym more than 80min tops with warmup and stretching included, but when I'm on my way home I'm exhausted.

I never have the same program twice either, the only excersises I keep is the basics, and then i just mix it up surprising my body each time.

Anyways, that was not your question so..... I use JEFit pro for android, everything on the phone. Check it out, might be something for you jefit.com
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Used to use JeFIT, but a lot of the exercises I like to do are not in there. I switched to Fitness Buddy . It was about $2 and well worth it. It includes band exercises as well, which is awesome. It was originally why I got it, but now that I've gone back to free weights, I appreciate it just as much for those workouts too.
  • TechLady11412
    TechLady11412 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    FOR ME:

squat
    deadlift
    pullup
    bench press
    overhead press

the compounds that get it done and get me out knowing i did something substantial

M/W/F I pick 2 (a lower and an upper) and do however many sets it takes to fill up 40 minutes or so. Sometimes it's low rep/heavy weight or moderate rep/moderate weight, depending on how I feel that day. For me, just having that freedom helps me to push myself, because I must listen to my body and be realistic about how i'm feeling that day.

I've kept log books since 1992 with the 12+ exercises, 3-4-5 times a week, tricep extensions here, kickbacks there, concentration curls, leg extension over there....i'm just over it I guess
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    12+ exercises?? That's too many...

I just use a sheet of paper and a pen.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I really don't want to carry around a big notebook - those guys seem silly looking.

Any other suggestions from experienced gym rats?

As a somewhat experienced gym rat, you are wrong. Those of us with big notebooks don't look silly. We look like we know what we're doing and have a plan. I do 1-4 lifts per day, with varying rep ranges, number of sets, and varying weights.

Learn 4 basic lifts: squat, deadlift, bench press, and some sort of row. Do those. You can easily remember 4 lifts. When you're comfortable, add in new lifts (start with overhead press).
  • theguy12
    theguy12 Posts: 156
    Options
    Are there any of these apps you mention that sync at the end with MFP?

Secondly - thanks for the awesome feedback and overwhelming replies.
  • theguy12
    Options
    The trainers at my gym have me on a 15 exercise plan from what he wrote down (and did the other week).

It's all done with good form but quick so the heart rate stays up and I am breathing super heavy and sweating like crazy.

It's a lot to remember when your there and people are everywhere, music jamming, some stuff isn't available, etc, -- a lot of times I just give up and leave.

First group is squats, rows, medicine ball toss up (3 sets of 10 each)

Second group is three different exercises on this cable machine (3 sets of 10 each)

Third group is dumbbell overhead presses, decline situps with weight, and kettle bell swings (3 sets of 10 each)

Then I am supposed to hit those huge heavy ropes that you swing up and down. Both at same time, One at time, side to side (3 sets of 10 each)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    15? I didnt even know there was that many. :tongue:
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I really don't want to carry around a big notebook - those guys seem silly looking.

Any other suggestions from experienced gym rats?

As a somewhat experienced gym rat, you are wrong. Those of us with big notebooks don't look silly. We look like we know what we're doing and have a plan. I do 1-4 lifts per day, with varying rep ranges, number of sets, and varying weights.

Learn 4 basic lifts: squat, deadlift, bench press, and some sort of row. Do those. You can easily remember 4 lifts. When you're comfortable, add in new lifts (start with overhead press).

Also, I've gone with a downsized notebook. I use a "mini composition" notebook. It has room to write down the 4 lifts I plan to do, and the weights to use for each set. It fits in my pocket when I going from area to area, and I just set it on/near the bench or whatever other piece of equipment I'm using. The pen clips right to the book so its not even something different that needs to be carried around. If I felt the need to use a pencil, I'd stick it behind my ear for easy access.

As for feeling like you look silly, you don't. You look like you're trying to keep focused and on track with your exercise. If someone looks down on you because you know what you're doing and are keeping track realize that you're going to make better progress by having that information.

Also, I do Wendler's 5/3/1 and use one of the aps (not made by Wendler himself, but some *kitten* just using his name) to keep track across the long term. No smart phone so when I'm working out at the gym I use paper and pen, and transfer it to the ap (on my kindle). It'll output it to a CSV file so I can graph progress. I haven't done that in a while, but probably should soon.
  • theguy12
    Options
    That is funny about the amount....

I had one male trainer give me that many in my plan.

Went and saw another trainer a couple months later - gave me different exercises but same amount.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I had my clipboard and workout sheet, and I felt like a tool with it at the gym. Then, I tried an app on my phone, I tried a spreadsheet on my phone .. they were a hassle. Now I walk around the gym with my clipboard.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I used a small notebook. I write down my plan for the each day with lines for weight and reps for each set. The following week I look back at what I did (and if I left notes about what I should modify, like increase or decrease weight, etc) that way I don't have to waste time trying to remember what I did.

That's if I want to follow a plan. The other option is, improvise. You know you'll do back today, so you just go for whatever back workout you feel like doing. Weight? You do one set with X weight and for the following sets you adjust the weight weight on whether it was easy or not for you that first set.
  • GallifreyanGirl396
    GallifreyanGirl396 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't have a smartphone. Open Excel, make a spreadsheet, print it out, find a pen/pencil, and take them with you. I don't mind looking ridiculous or silly though. I'm there for me,and I like to document my success.
  • skyeny
    skyeny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Any smartphone... Sometimes I see an exercise I wanna try, so I snap a picture with my phone from the computer screen. Sometimes I create a workout on my PC, and just take a pic with my phone, and keep it open during the workout. But my favorite is my personal trainer ))
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Also use a small book and pen to record weights. I even take the New Rules book in with me to the gym when starting something I'm unfamiliar with. I forget what my limbs are supposed to be doing the first couple of times.
  • theguy12
    Options
    I think the reason it looks silly to me is instead of staying constantly moving and heart rate up in the prime zone for weight loss they are stopping every few minutes to jot something down or looking for somewhere to put their notebook or where did their pencil go......your completely right though - they are probably the smart ones. I apologize for calling them silly.

Wish there was an app that would lead my vocally through the workouts like a personal trainer.