How do you remember your routine at gym?

Options

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    One thing that always snags my up.....I walk into gym. Do my cardio (easy to remember to walk/run for 20 minutes).

Then I get down into the weight section and have a hard time remembering the 12+ exercises I am supposed to be doing, how many, what weight, etc. Even if I write down the names on a small piece of paper for my pocket most of time I don't remember what each one looks like (I need pictures).

I really don't want to carry around a big notebook - those guys seem silly looking.

Any other suggestions from experienced gym rats?
    if youre worried about looking silly in the gym, youre doing it wrong
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I use a app on my phone called Gym Hero. You add in you exercises and how many reps, sets, and weight. Next time you do that exercise it comes up with what you did last time, and such, and add from there.I love it.
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I put them in mfp before I go to the gym, and then look at that. If I can't remember the moves - today I'll have that happen since I'm starting a new stage in the plan I'm doing - i might google it on my phone and watch a video, I've also taken the book I'm following in to the gym. I have also had an app called JeFit, but removed it because I really wasn't using all the features and it seemed to take up a lot of space.
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I use a note-taking app on my phone. I probably look like I'm texting, but meh. At least I can keep track of what I did/want to do. Don't let it get in your head. Carry a notebook or use your phone. Benefit yourself. Not your outward appearance to others.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Notepad. They make little ones, ya know. Mine is smaller than my phone. :smile:
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I use an Excel file that I open on my phone.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    For starters I would advise against doing 12 exercises in a single session. Number 2 bring a log the has your routine outlined and allows you to put reps and weight in so you can track progress. Or pick a beginner program that has everything laid out for you, print it off and bring it to the gym.
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I use to use a log book, then switched to printed out spreadsheets that I would notate then update, and most recently I've use jefit, a smart phone application and internet based (www.jefit.com).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Number 2

tumblr_m33axoxlig1qlk5kj.gif
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Not silly at all - get yourself a book, write out your routine and track your progress. You can also include how you felt that day, physically or mentally.

^^^

I started doing this again. It's nice to see progression on how much you lift and also keeping track of what you do.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    theres an app for that
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Not silly at all - get yourself a book, write out your routine and track your progress. You can also include how you felt that day, physically or mentally.

^^^

I started doing this again. It's nice to see progression on how much you lift and also keeping track of what you do.

I am NOT good at writing down exertion and things- but it is a useful thing to keep track of- I really wish I could track food and workouts in the same book- side by side- but I don't have the energy- well it's just not a priority really. But to me it would be interesting to see the trends.

But yes- tracking how you feel and perceived exertion rate is useful too. Wish I spent more time doing it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    way back in the day i used to keep a note book of what weights i was doing. at one point i was just populating a spread sheet after my workout. now i don't do anything and do catch myself scratching my head wondering exactly what weight i did last time now and then.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    It's burned into my brain
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for over a year now and I bring a smaller notebook in with me. That way I can track my weight going up and know the plan for each day. Who cares what people think. When I go I am there to lift and kick butt. Not judge someone because they have a notebook.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I carry a sheet of paper and a pen with me. If I'm trying a new exercise, I'll either write some notes to remind myself how to do it or YouTube it on my phone right before to check form.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I use my phone and log it, as I go. When I get home, I add that data to the previous days. From there, I decide what works, what don't work and discuss that with my trainer and doctors. Data is key in weight loss!!
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    JeFit App. Open routine, exercise day & start. Each exercise in order with the # reps, weight, rest time pre loaded. Just log as you go. After sync with www.jefit.com web site. There even a place for notes.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting started and use the machines ( I know I know use the free weights....) I have the name of each machine written down. I kind of have the routine broken down to know which machines on which days - but I still carry the paper around as I am trying to learn my 'weights' - once I get this down, I'll transfer to a 3x5 card (I have the arms on this already) it has small pics on one side and the exercise/machine/dumbell whatever - and weight on the other side. I just carry the card and pen with me and mark the new weight if I increase it.

The card is small enough I can slide it in the armband with my phone, and same with a pencil (need to swipe a few from the golf course!)
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    maybe its just me, but logging via an app during my lifting workout made it at least 15-20 min longer. when i did it with a note book it didn't seem to add any time at all