Does alcohol count towards your daily calories?

Options
kjarvo
kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
I know alcohol has calories in, but can you count it towards your 1200+ exercise? It has calories but no nutritional value so should it be an extra that you have to work off or can I actually count it towards your daily goal? Everyone reiterates that you must log it, but it has no nutrition.
The problem is you shouldn't drink on an empty stomach, and if I plan on drinking 500 calories I shouldn't only be eating 700.
What I have done previously is eaten my 1200, tried to do 500 calories of exercise to earn some of the alcohol and just accept the rest as going over my goal so I am not sick.

Yes I shouldn't plan on drinking that much but I'm a student. It's allowed.

Replies

• futurejedi
    futurejedi Posts: 111
    Options
    hoorah beer :drinker:
  • april979
    april979 Posts: 39
    Options
    I would count it towards my calories for sure, just means excercising more or eating less if I want to enjoy a drink
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    umm yes it counts -- hence why people call it "empty calories" you are not getting nutrition out of it and yes it will cause you to gain weight as you are going to put yourself over your cals

however -- it's is delicious and i love a good buzz
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I know alcohol has calories in, but can you count it towards your 1200+ exercise? It has calories but no nutritional value so should it be an extra that you have to work off or can I actually count it towards your daily goal? Everyone reiterates that you must log it, but it has no nutrition.
    The problem is you shouldn't drink on an empty stomach, and if I plan on drinking 500 calories I shouldn't only be eating 700.
    What I have done previously is eaten my 1200, tried to do 500 calories of exercise to earn some of the alcohol and just accept the rest as going over my goal so I am not sick.

Yes I shouldn't plan on drinking that much but I'm a student. It's allowed.

I highlighted the answer for you.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Anything you put in your mouth should be counted. Calories are calories regardless of their nutritional value.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Of course alcohol counts. Log everything. I don't drink so I don't have that problem. It's a waste of calories if you ask me.
  • pamela_73
    pamela_73 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You may be over thinking is... it's all calories.. count it. But yes, it is a good idea to exercise to earn more calories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think your plan of earning the calories you plan to drink and getting your 1200 in actual food is a good one...
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    For weight loss - absolutely. Log it. Also, if you are using MFP to calculate your calories burned, you probably are not actually burning 500 cal.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It counts, and the calorie counts are usually sizeable (especially for mixed drinks/cocktails... forget about margaritas!)
    Maybe exercise and save some extra calories each day to enable yourself a few weekend drinks and still come in under your goal for the week.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Anything you put in your mouth should be counted. Calories are calories regardless of their nutritional value.

Must.behave. lipssealed_zps445f9a45.gif
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yes, it counts. It's a calorie.

Work hard, play hard..... Enjoy!!
  • kjarvo
    Options
    I don't mean don't log it. I always do. I mean does it count towards your daily goal for food. Can I eat 700 calories, drink 500 for instance.
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't mean don't log it. I always do. I mean does it count towards your daily goal for food. Can I eat 700 calories, drink 500 for instance.
    If that's what you wanna do have at it but I wouldn't recommend it.

EVERYTHING you put in your piehole counts!! Otherwise it doesn't work. :wink: :laugh:
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    That would be pretty unhealthy as you wouldn't be getting much of the nutrients your body requires. Bad idea.
  • kjarvo
    Options
    You may be over thinking is... it's all calories.. count it. But yes, it is a good idea to exercise to earn more calories.

I'm not over thinking it, if I drink 1200 worth of calories I can't 'eat less' i.e. nothing. I haven't fed my body for the day with any actual nutritional value.
  • kjarvo
    Options
    That would be pretty unhealthy as you wouldn't be getting much of the nutrients your body requires. Bad idea.

That's what I mean, so does it not count towards my daily goal (yes I will still log it). Should I eat 1200 calories anyway and try to earn some of the alcohol calories with exercise and accept that I will probably be over for that day?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I'm not over thinking it, if I drink 1200 worth of calories I can't 'eat less' i.e. nothing. I haven't fed my body for the day with any actual nutritional value.

If your daily calorie goal is 1200 and you chose to consume those 1200 calories in alcohol, then no, you don't have any calories left for the day for food unless you go over your calorie goal for the day.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It's definitely calories that need to be counted. My six month plateau proves it :/
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    For weight loss - absolutely. Log it. Also, if you are using MFP to calculate your calories burned, you probably are not actually burning 500 cal.

Yep mfp is very generous with calories burned.