Does alcohol count towards your daily calories?

Options

Replies

• votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Anything you put in your mouth should be counted. Calories are calories regardless of their nutritional value.

Must.behave. lipssealed_zps445f9a45.gif

omg, LOL. :laugh:

fw1t9w.jpg
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    WTF.. is this a wind up?
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    Yip, get the "swally" logged............it all counts!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie, no matter where it comes from. So, yes, it counts.

But a person living off 800 calories of food and 400 calories of alcohol a day can't be healthy, they won't be getting any protein, fibre, etc. from the alcohol, just calories.

Nooo...but they will be getting calories. A calorie is a unit of energy, it has nothing to do with nutrition. You put more energy in your body than it needs, and it will store it as fat.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It does not matter where the calories come from if in the end you meet your goal most days. That being said, you are correct that it has no nutritional value and that it should be consumed in moderation so your body attains the proper balance of nutrients... This is for your health, not your waistline. There is more than one reason we should all practice moderation in all we do.
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think I know what the OP is asking - she has 1200 calories for the day, which is presumably supposed to be spent on fuelling her body. If she spends them on alcohol, is she doing herself a disservice? Answer - probably. Hence I think the plan of "earning" the alcohol calories is a good one. That was she still gets 1200 calories of food with actual nutrients.
    What she said.

+1
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Anything you put in your mouth should be counted. Calories are calories regardless of their nutritional value.

yup
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yes, I suggest you strongly to earn the calories for drinking from exercise, and to give your body enough nutrients.

Anyway, yes, you are allowed to drink as much as you like, but, maybe just be wise... there are no laws either that say that you MUST drink 500 cals of alcohol every day :)
    On the long run, it's not good for your body either :)
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Must.behave. lipssealed_zps445f9a45.gif

Apparently someone found this food log (yes my mind went there as well), just not sure how you would log it, would it be cups or weight???
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you drink 500 worth of calories you can only have 700 of food on a 1200 calorie diet.

you can eat 1200 and drink 500 but you'd need to do 500 worth of exercise.

You hear about long term alcoholics being malnourished because they are drinking all their calories.

You'd probably lose faster if you left the drinking to once a week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i didnt log alcohol when i was losing... but i cut it right back to a couple of drinks per fortnight, so i didnt often have anything to log!
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    All drinks should be counted, even a black coffee has calories but they all add up!
  • rjriggit
    rjriggit Posts: 9
    Options
    Bending the rules only affects your weight loss. There's no cheat methods here - eat less, do more, create a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.

I think the best thing is to be realistic and pick your battles. Unless it would fit your lifestyle to completely cut out alcohol - and it definitely wouldn't with mine! - you need to be able to let loose once in a while. At the moment, drastic weight loss isn't my priority - its about longer term lifestyle changes. So tonight I'll go out and I won't log the alcohol, but I will only have one big night out a month and then make sure you're doing plenty of exercise and controlling your calories otherwise.
  • samco66
    samco66 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't mean don't log it. I always do. I mean does it count towards your daily goal for food. Can I eat 700 calories, drink 500 for instance.
    That would be pretty unhealthy as you wouldn't be getting much of the nutrients your body requires. Bad idea.

That's what I mean, so does it not count towards my daily goal (yes I will still log it). Should I eat 1200 calories anyway and try to earn some of the alcohol calories with exercise and accept that I will probably be over for that day?

it counts as calories you are consuming, not daily goal . You should still be eating 1,200 calories on top of the calories from alcohol. Not “eat 500 calories from food then 700 from alcohol” and you’re done becuase that horrilbe for your body. you will just have to workout to burn the beer calories.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Everything one eats counts.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I don't mean don't log it. I always do. I mean does it count towards your daily goal for food. Can I eat 700 calories, drink 500 for instance.

Yes everything counts toward your daily food goal. It may not help you with the rest of your macros, but it will fill out the calorie limit. It won't be a terribly healthy day but... (on the other hand it wasn't a terribly healthy day for me when I decided that I absolutely HAD to bake chocolate chip cookies - can we say cookie batter for dinner? :wink: )

edited for spelling
  • cpadchap
    cpadchap Posts: 6
    Options
    Non-drinker here but calories are calories. It is putting something in you that you need to burn off. So LOG IT!! I tell myself that I must log everything because if I let myself not log this one little lick/bite/taste today then tomorrow I won't log it and the next day and all of those add up. So if you are serious about losing then log it. Make yourself accountable for what you are putting in your body.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You may be over thinking is... it's all calories.. count it. But yes, it is a good idea to exercise to earn more calories.

I'm not over thinking it, if I drink 1200 worth of calories I can't 'eat less' i.e. nothing. I haven't fed my body for the day with any actual nutritional value.

So you learned a new word today I see.
    > this is what we call "empty calories"

it sure as shT counts- but it doesn't do anything for fueling you're body.

how old are you again?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1100 calories of high-quality food and use 100 calories for alcohol once a week, no big deal. If you eat 700 calories of high-quality food and use 500 calories for alcohol once a month, no big deal. If that's a regular occurrence, you're going to end up malnourished and you probably need to re-evaluate your relationship with alchohol. Student or not, and whether you "earn" the extra calories from exercise or not, consuming 500 calories worth of alcohol on a regular basis isn't healthy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1100 calories of high-quality food and use 100 calories for alcohol once a week, no big deal. If you eat 700 calories of high-quality food and use 500 calories for alcohol once a month, no big deal. If that's a regular occurrence, you're going to end up malnourished and you probably need to re-evaluate your relationship with alchohol. Student or not, and whether you "earn" the extra calories from exercise or not, consuming 500 calories worth of alcohol on a regular basis isn't healthy.

I'd say that's a bit of a stretch.

Two good beers once a week is completely healthy if you have accommodated for it.