Does alcohol count towards your daily calories?

Options

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    It goes straight to your sugar/fat stores. it counts. If you did nothing but drink and didn't eat, your belly would get bigger. You'd be dead too, but that's another story.

Oh and since you mentioned college student, I'm PRETTY SURE you won't be having 1 or 2 drinks.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    When I drink alcohol, the way I like to do it is by substituting carb calories for alcohol calories. So, if I'm planning to have a drink or 2 tonight, I STILL have to meet my protein and fat macros for the day. But I go low carb all day so I have some room under my calorie limit to drink alcohol. Remember that alcohol contains 7 cal/gram so it adds up quick.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this (and I'm not advocating it), but a nice side-effect is that you'll look ripped in the morning because of the dehydration effects of the alcohol.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you eat 1100 calories of high-quality food and use 100 calories for alcohol once a week, no big deal. If you eat 700 calories of high-quality food and use 500 calories for alcohol once a month, no big deal. If that's a regular occurrence, you're going to end up malnourished and you probably need to re-evaluate your relationship with alchohol. Student or not, and whether you "earn" the extra calories from exercise or not, consuming 500 calories worth of alcohol on a regular basis isn't healthy.

I'd say that's a bit of a stretch.

Two good beers once a week is completely healthy if you have accommodated for it.
    Fair enough. She made it sound like she was drinking that way most days.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You may be over thinking is... it's all calories.. count it. But yes, it is a good idea to exercise to earn more calories.

I'm not over thinking it, if I drink 1200 worth of calories I can't 'eat less' i.e. nothing. I haven't fed my body for the day with any actual nutritional value.

So you learned a new word today I see.
    > this is what we call "empty calories"

it sure as shT counts- but it doesn't do anything for fueling you're body.

how old are you again?

How patronising. I know what empty calories are.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    When I drink alcohol, the way I like to do it is by substituting carb calories for alcohol calories. So, if I'm planning to have a drink or 2 tonight, I STILL have to meet my protein and fat macros for the day. But I go low carb all day so I have some room under my calorie limit to drink alcohol.

This is what I was going to say. Isn't alcohol something that goes towards your carbs for the day? So just make sure you are eating proteins and fats, and still get some carbs from fruits and veggies before you go out.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    IMO eat your 1200 calories (if that's your goal, as suggested you probably can eat more) and get all your nutrients in and since you've planned for that 500 calories of alcohol then do your workouts to get that 500 calories. You need the nutrients and the stuff in your Macros more than you need the alcohol. Even if you didn't do the workout .. I kind of feel it would be better to get all that stuff in with your 1200 calories of food and go over on your calories for one day than it would be to only eat 700 calories of food and not get your nutrients and then drink that extra 500 empty calories just to reach a calorie goal.

That's just MY opinion, to each their own and I am definitely no expert.

Enjoy your time out though!

Thanks, you and a 2 other posters seemed to be the only people that know what I mean. I agree, I think you need to eat the minimum of 1200 calories of food and the alcohol is extra. I will reword again for other people, not 'does it count towards your 1200 daily calories' - 'CAN it count towards your daily calories'. I think because they have no nutrional value, it will leave you malnourished. On the other hand, people drink 300 calories worth of sugary drinks, that's why I was trying to debate whether it could count towards your daily calories needed to fuel your body or not.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Of course alcohol counts. Log everything. I don't drink so I don't have that problem. It's a waste of calories if you ask me.

Not if it gets you laid, it isn't.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Anything you put in your mouth should be counted. Calories are calories regardless of their nutritional value.

Well, not everything you put in your mouth has to be counted as calories. :laugh:
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with the ones who say eat your 1200 + go ahead and have fun on your night out. Maybe exercise a little more to "earn" your calories back, but I also think if you're only aiming for 1200, you're too low on average. It's only an opinion, but those who strive for 1200 or less are only doing damage in the long run. I do not know your height, weight or exercise plan, but you can probably eat a healthy 1300-1400 at the very least and still lose weight. I lose when I drop to 1800 cal and maintain around 2000-2100. But every person is different on their range/TDEE. I just hate to see people suffering at 1200 when they can enjoy so much more! :drinker:
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Set and hit reasonable protein and fat goals. Set and hit reasonable micronutrient goals. Hit carb goals to support your lifestyle. Use the rest for tasty booze in fun social circumstances (or for treats of your choice, or for x or y or z).

If you're comfortable with a little bit more complexity, then don't think of it "1200 calories worth of food" -- think of it as "X grams of protein, Y grams of fat, all my vitamins and minerals and fiber, etc. -- and then whatever else I really want or need." 1200 calories is not a magical number (despite what MFP thinks) -- it is a shorthanded way to set a minimum, based on a presumed "average" American diet, for an energy intake that will not be too extreme and will do a decent job of accommodating most RDAs around nutrients.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Anything you put in your mouth should be counted. Calories are calories regardless of their nutritional value.

Well, not everything you put in your mouth has to be counted as calories. :laugh:

if youre a good girl, there will be some caloric value
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    IMO eat your 1200 calories (if that's your goal, as suggested you probably can eat more) and get all your nutrients in and since you've planned for that 500 calories of alcohol then do your workouts to get that 500 calories. You need the nutrients and the stuff in your Macros more than you need the alcohol. Even if you didn't do the workout .. I kind of feel it would be better to get all that stuff in with your 1200 calories of food and go over on your calories for one day than it would be to only eat 700 calories of food and not get your nutrients and then drink that extra 500 empty calories just to reach a calorie goal.

That's just MY opinion, to each their own and I am definitely no expert.

Enjoy your time out though!

Thanks, you and a 2 other posters seemed to be the only people that know what I mean. I agree, I think you need to eat the minimum of 1200 calories of food and the alcohol is extra. I will reword again for other people, not 'does it count towards your 1200 daily calories' - 'CAN it count towards your daily calories'. I think because they have no nutrional value, it will leave you malnourished. On the other hand, people drink 300 calories worth of sugary drinks, that's why I was trying to debate whether it could count towards your daily calories needed to fuel your body or not.

i'm still not getting it...

calories are fuel. if it has caloric value, it is fuel.

yes it CAN and DOES count toward your daily calories.

is that......what?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

You sure about that?:smokin:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You may be over thinking is... it's all calories.. count it. But yes, it is a good idea to exercise to earn more calories.

I'm not over thinking it, if I drink 1200 worth of calories I can't 'eat less' i.e. nothing. I haven't fed my body for the day with any actual nutritional value.

this is what we call "empty calories"

it sure as shT counts- but it doesn't do anything for fueling you're body.

^This. A calorie is a calorie. If your goal is 1200 calories (which I won't even address b/c I don't have enough Fs left for that today), you get 1200 calories, regardless of their nutritional value. It would be dumb to log 500 calories of booze and leave yourself 700 calories for food. You log your food, and then use however many calories are leftover for booze. Since you're only eating 1200, that's probably nothing. So in your case, you eat your 1200 calories, drink 500 calories, and you're over for the day. Work them off if you like, or don't.

Okay, I guess I will address the 1200 calorie thing. If you're super short and totally sedentary, and don't have much to lose, I suppose 1200 could be an appropriate deficit, but I doubt it. Seems more likely that you put in that you want to lose 2 lbs/week and sedentary even though you're really not. Maybe reconsider your calorie goal. At 1950, I don't feel like I'm starving my body of much if I occasionally have 500 calories of booze and only 1450 of food, or I might go over a bit if I really want that food.

Good link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • LoriLasswell
    LoriLasswell Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Must.behave. lipssealed_zps445f9a45.gif

I know, right? I count that though.... 17 calories!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Did you weigh it?
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My tip is not to eat only 1200 cals and then drink 500 worth in booze. You're not gonna feel good the next day..I speak from experience..
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Did you weigh it?

Wouldn't it be measured by volume rather than weight? This makes me want to find out how much "a mouthful" is in cups...
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options

Did you weigh it?

Wouldn't it be measured by volume rather than weight? This makes me want to find out how much "a mouthful" is in cups...

CUPS?! What kind of men are YOU with? lol
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Did you weigh it?

CUPS?! What kind of men are YOU with? lol

Ladies!?!! According to the MFP database the accepted serving size is "load." I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the nutrition information presented.

Spermdbentry_zpsdecfd896.jpg

And if that sad image and joke isn't enough for you, be aware that devouring human souls is not going to impact one's calorie target:

Humansouldbentry_zpsfa3c239d.jpg