• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I ate 1kg of bananas in 2mins.

This is me.

991269_1959.jpg

phat as Fu(k

hope that helps.

I completely forgot what I was going to post in this thread.....thanks Chris
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Are you gonna eat that?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Oh Joanne, do you think we can't google? Here's another snip from the article that you conveniently left out:
    Experts still have a long way to go to connect the dots between fructose and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Higher intakes of fructose are associated with these conditions, but clinical trials have yet to show that it causes them.

And here's a link to the article in its entirety, since I have a little thing called ethics:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-fructose-bad-for-you-201104262425

b3dd9eb3-bd33-4e2e-8a33-69ce0007c28f_zpsff9f2f44.jpg
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Cookie Crisp all the way! An entire cup of little cookies, 120 cals! IF IT'S WRONG I DON'T WANNA BE RIGHT!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    Oh Joanne, do you think we can't google? Here's another snip from the article that you conveniently left out:
    Experts still have a long way to go to connect the dots between fructose and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Higher intakes of fructose are associated with these conditions, but clinical trials have yet to show that it causes them.

And here's a link to the article in its entirety, since I have a little thing called ethics:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-fructose-bad-for-you-201104262425
    Priceless. It amazes me that someone can be that brainwashed while disputing evidence is slapping them in the face repeatedly. Actually I'm not amazed, I just thought it sounded appropriate. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just another food. Unless your doctor says otherwise based on a medical reason, everything in moderation, including sugar.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I ate 1kg of bananas in 2mins.

This is me.

991269_1959.jpg

phat as Fu(k

hope that helps.

I completely forgot what I was going to post in this thread.....thanks Chris
    There's a thread.....where? :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    It almost seems redundant after all the sensible replies. But I will say it anyway. Sugar is only evil if over indulged in. It's true your body can become addicted to it. In fact I was and breaking that addiction was perhaps the greatest test of willpower in my life. BUT I do not blame sugar for that I blame my own weak will and lack of restraint. I overdid it and that got my metabolism hooked on those quick empty calories. And it's as simple as that. Used in moderation sugar is a welcome part of any homo sapiens diet. And THE best thing to recover energy after exercise. It's not just ok it's USEFUL
  • RHachicho
    Options
    It almost seems redundant after all the sensible replies. But I will say it anyway. Sugar is only evil if over indulged in. It's true your body can become addicted to it. In fact I was and breaking that addiction was perhaps the greatest test of willpower in my life. BUT I do not blame sugar for that I blame my own weak will and lack of restraint. I overdid it and that got my metabolism hooked on those quick empty calories. And it's as simple as that. Used in moderation sugar is a welcome part of any homo sapiens diet. And THE best thing to recover energy after exercise. It's not just ok it's USEFUL
    No sorry. Have to disagree with that.

Lol care to give me any reasons for your disagreement or you just doing so on principle?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I take your scare tactic and raise you 148g of sugar. How much will be converted to fat?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I just had a cocoanut mini chocolate bar...had calories left over after my sugar desert.

Mmmmmm....evil!
  • RHachicho
    Options

Lol care to give me any reasons for your disagreement or you just doing so on principle?
    Sugar is never evil.
    We do not become addicted to sugar.
    The metabolism does not get "hooked" on empty calories.
    I take your scare tactic and raise you 148g of sugar. How much will be converted to fat?
    147g.

I am sorry but coming from someone who had a MAJOR sugar addiction I emphatically disagree. I am not quoting internet studies or something I read. I am simply going from my own personal experience. Sugar addiction is totally real. I will admit that just having a bit of an elevated sugar intake won't cause this. But I consumed 2-4 liters of full sugar soda a day for years. In the end I absolutely could not live without it or some form of sugar. Whenever I had it it was like drinking the nectar of the gods. I would glug it down like I just couldn't get it down my throat fast enough. During this time other sweet things almost lost their taste completely. Fruit tasted of nothing. And even chocolate seemed less sweet. When I came off it I would literally DREAM of coca cola. I would be thirsty all the time no matter how much I drank. When I passed it in the isles I would feel an almost palpable physical tug towards it. I was constantly miserable. I have given up nicotine and in no way or form was giving up nicotine harder than giving up sugar.

In contrast after finally quitting all sugary things became sweet again including fruit. I lost my craving for sugary drinks entirely to the extent I tried one weeks later and found it sickeningly sweet. I was able to drink diet soda which before had just tasted like garbage to me.

If that isn't addiction then I am not sure what is. I don't think you average slightly overweight person is addicted to sugar. But sugar addiction is absolutely a real thing. And while at a lesser degree it might not be harmful believe me it absolutely can ruin a life.

I am not saying you have to give up your sugary cereal or anything. But people with uncontrollable sugar cravings probably have the same condition I had to a greater or lesser degree.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options

Sugar is never evil.
    We do not become addicted to sugar.
    The metabolism does not get "hooked" on empty calories.
    147g.

I am sorry but coming from someone who had a MAJOR sugar addiction I emphatically disagree. I am not quoting internet studies or something I read. I am simply going from my own personal experience. Sugar addiction is totally real. I will admit that just having a bit of an elevated sugar intake won't cause this. But I consumed 2-4 liters of full sugar soda for years. In the end I absolutely could not live without it or some form of sugar. Whenever I had it it was like drinking the nectar of the gods. I would glug it down like I just couldn't get it down my throat fast enough. During this time other sweet things almost lost their taste completely. Fruit tasted of nothing. And even chocolate seemed less sweet. When I came off it I would literally DREAM of coca cola. I would be thirsty all the time no matter how much I drank. When I passed it in the isles I would feel an almost palpable physical tug towards it. I was constantly miserable. I have given up nicotine and in no way or form was giving up nicotine harder than giving up sugar.

In contrast after finally quitting all sugary things became sweet again including fruit. I lost my craving for sugary drinks entirely to the extent I tried one weeks later and found it sickeningly sweet. I was able to drink diet soda which before had just tasted like garbage to me.

If that isn't addiction then I am not sure what is. I don't think you average slightly overweight person is addicted to sugar. But sugar addiction is absolutely a real thing. And while at a lesser degree it might not be harmful believe me it absolutely can ruin a life.
    Were you eating raw cane sugar ? If you were, then I'd say you could be addicted but if you don't then it something entirely different. Sugar is only part of the ingredient list of the foods that you now avoid and more than likely they are the highly carby, baked, lots of fat and touch of salt, been there. :smile:
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm worried by this ignorant, knee-jerk dismissal of the problems associated specifically with fructose, as opposed to sugar generally that I'm seeing in this thread.

Fructose is biochemically a VERY different thing than glucose. As was pointed out in the OP, it cannot be metabolized by the body without first being broken down by the liver, in a process very similar to alcohol.

THIS IS NOT A "SUGAR BAD" ARGUMENT. This is about the problems that come from a higher proportion of total sugar intake coming from fructose. The metabolism of fructose releases the already mentioned triglycerides, yes, but the more worrying thing is the production of glycation end products (google them if you've never had any biochem). GEP's cause vascular inflammation, and a resultant increase in cholesterol.

Please stop dumbing this down into "STOP PICKING ON SUGAR". I'm not picking on sugar. I'm picking on the increased amount of FRUCTOSE we're consuming.

I'm not anti-sugar, and I'm tired of any concerns about the verified medical issues associated with fructose specifically being written off ignorantly.
  • d3m1urge
    d3m1urge Posts: 38
    Options
    Wow.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Lots of sugar makes my tummy hurt and my poop incredibly....bad. So, there is that...
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I thought sugar is okay. It's just bad now with the way it is artificially processed.