FRUCTOSE CONVERTS TO FAT

Options

Replies

• Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    In light of the current developments in fructose science, I ask for a moment of silence now for Mikey of Life Cereal, who eventually died from a lethal sugar cocktail of Pop Rocks and Coke.

mikey_life.jpg
  • Mrsbeale11
    Mrsbeale11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I ate 1kg of bananas in 2mins.

This is me.

991269_1959.jpg

phat as Fu(k

hope that helps.

I just knew bananas rocked...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,977 Member
    Options
    I'm worried by this ignorant, knee-jerk dismissal of the problems associated specifically with fructose, as opposed to sugar generally that I'm seeing in this thread.

Fructose is biochemically a VERY different thing than glucose. As was pointed out in the OP, it cannot be metabolized by the body without first being broken down by the liver, in a process very similar to alcohol.

THIS IS NOT A "SUGAR BAD" ARGUMENT. This is about the problems that come from a higher proportion of total sugar intake coming from fructose. The metabolism of fructose releases the already mentioned triglycerides, yes, but the more worrying thing is the production of glycation end products (google them if you've never had any biochem). GEP's cause vascular inflammation, and a resultant increase in cholesterol.

Please stop dumbing this down into "STOP PICKING ON SUGAR". I'm not picking on sugar. I'm picking on the increased amount of FRUCTOSE we're consuming.

I'm not anti-sugar, and I'm tired of any concerns about the verified medical issues associated with fructose specifically being written off ignorantly.
    What dosage of fructose daily show detrimental heath effects?

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/139/6/1219S.full
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Fructose is biochemically a VERY different thing than glucose.
    Actually it's not if you look at the real science properly. Also when you're talking fructose are you talking Fructoses or HFCS because they are actually different things? HFCS at the molecular level is 55% fructose and 45% glucose which is actually the same ratio as honey and not far off white table sugar which is a 50/50 split.

This picking on one thing and trying to blame all the worlds health ills on it is just silly especially when the majority of the science being quoted is questionable at best. Those who have problems with sugar it's not the sugars fault that you have decided to consume stupid amounts of full sugar pop in a day of course that's not going to be good for you but neither would eating 10 kilos of potatoes in a day.

Telling a Morbidly obese person that the reason they are fat is the sugar and the sugar industry is just another escape clause because life isn't that simple. the reason they are fat is the lack of exercise and the lack of a 'Balanced' diet and a balanced diet should contain sugar and more than the 10% of daily calories those with a sugar drum are banging. This 10% figure was from a report from the American Heart Association (Its on the website if you wish to read it). the 10% is actually 10% of discretionary calories which means after your daily needs have been met.

This is a really good piece from a RD explaining this with some common sense points about sugar

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140509014800-28240857-can-you-find-health-by-avoiding-sugar?published=t
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    *Spits out apple*

oh my god what have I done?
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    It almost seems redundant after all the sensible replies. But I will say it anyway. Sugar is only evil if over indulged in. It's true your body can become addicted to it. In fact I was and breaking that addiction was perhaps the greatest test of willpower in my life. BUT I do not blame sugar for that I blame my own weak will and lack of restraint. I overdid it and that got my metabolism hooked on those quick empty calories. And it's as simple as that. Used in moderation sugar is a welcome part of any homo sapiens diet. And THE best thing to recover energy after exercise. It's not just ok it's USEFUL
    No sorry. Have to disagree with that.

Lol care to give me any reasons for your disagreement or you just doing so on principle?
    Sugar is never evil.
    We do not become addicted to sugar.
    The metabolism does not get "hooked" on empty calories.
    I take your scare tactic and raise you 148g of sugar. How much will be converted to fat?
    147g.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763407000589
    sugar is addictive. nearly anything can trigger a dopeamine response and technically be addictive
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    excess anything gets converted to fat …

good lord Joanne, are you ever going to stop with the sugar fear mongering…??

are you really saying that if you eat in a calorie deficit that fructose will be converted to fat?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    It almost seems redundant after all the sensible replies. But I will say it anyway. Sugar is only evil if over indulged in. It's true your body can become addicted to it. In fact I was and breaking that addiction was perhaps the greatest test of willpower in my life. BUT I do not blame sugar for that I blame my own weak will and lack of restraint. I overdid it and that got my metabolism hooked on those quick empty calories. And it's as simple as that. Used in moderation sugar is a welcome part of any homo sapiens diet. And THE best thing to recover energy after exercise. It's not just ok it's USEFUL

this post started off well, and ended horribly ….

so your weak will is somehow sugars fault? Ever consider that you had lack of will power BEFROE you started eating sugar …

I used to be the same way, but I learned to moderate my diet and enjoy sugar, and other foods, in moderation ...
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    that feel when you have op on your ignore list

The-Office.gif
  • ndj1979
    Options

Lol care to give me any reasons for your disagreement or you just doing so on principle?
    Sugar is never evil.
    I take your scare tactic and raise you 148g of sugar. How much will be converted to fat?
    147g.

I am sorry but coming from someone who had a MAJOR sugar addiction I emphatically disagree. I am not quoting internet studies or something I read. I am simply going from my own personal experience. Sugar addiction is totally real. I will admit that just having a bit of an elevated sugar intake won't cause this. But I consumed 2-4 liters of full sugar soda a day for years. In the end I absolutely could not live without it or some form of sugar. Whenever I had it it was like drinking the nectar of the gods. I would glug it down like I just couldn't get it down my throat fast enough. During this time other sweet things almost lost their taste completely. Fruit tasted of nothing. And even chocolate seemed less sweet. When I came off it I would literally DREAM of coca cola. I would be thirsty all the time no matter how much I drank. When I passed it in the isles I would feel an almost palpable physical tug towards it. I was constantly miserable. I have given up nicotine and in no way or form was giving up nicotine harder than giving up sugar.

In contrast after finally quitting all sugary things became sweet again including fruit. I lost my craving for sugary drinks entirely to the extent I tried one weeks later and found it sickeningly sweet. I was able to drink diet soda which before had just tasted like garbage to me.

If that isn't addiction then I am not sure what is. I don't think you average slightly overweight person is addicted to sugar. But sugar addiction is absolutely a real thing. And while at a lesser degree it might not be harmful believe me it absolutely can ruin a life.

I am not saying you have to give up your sugary cereal or anything. But people with uncontrollable sugar cravings probably have the same condition I had to a greater or lesser degree.

did you blow your life savings on sugar?

carry sugar packets around in your pocket and eat them whenever you felt a craving come on?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    *Spits out apple*

oh my god what have I done?

you just added a pound of fat mass to your body, I hope the apple was worth it….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm worried by this ignorant, knee-jerk dismissal of the problems associated specifically with fructose, as opposed to sugar generally that I'm seeing in this thread.

Fructose is biochemically a VERY different thing than glucose. As was pointed out in the OP, it cannot be metabolized by the body without first being broken down by the liver, in a process very similar to alcohol.

THIS IS NOT A "SUGAR BAD" ARGUMENT. This is about the problems that come from a higher proportion of total sugar intake coming from fructose. The metabolism of fructose releases the already mentioned triglycerides, yes, but the more worrying thing is the production of glycation end products (google them if you've never had any biochem). GEP's cause vascular inflammation, and a resultant increase in cholesterol.

Please stop dumbing this down into "STOP PICKING ON SUGAR". I'm not picking on sugar. I'm picking on the increased amount of FRUCTOSE we're consuming.

I'm not anti-sugar, and I'm tired of any concerns about the verified medical issues associated with fructose specifically being written off ignorantly.

so all the people that eat sugar, have kept weight off, and maintain low body fat and say that other can do the same are "ignorant"…ok got ya….
  • BigT555
    Options
    Fructose is biochemically a VERY different thing than glucose.
    Actually it's not if you look at the real science properly. Also when you're talking fructose are you talking Fructoses or HFCS because they are actually different things? HFCS at the molecular level is 55% fructose and 45% glucose which is actually the same ratio as honey and not far off white table sugar which is a 50/50 split.

This picking on one thing and trying to blame all the worlds health ills on it is just silly especially when the majority of the science being quoted is questionable at best. Those who have problems with sugar it's not the sugars fault that you have decided to consume stupid amounts of full sugar pop in a day of course that's not going to be good for you but neither would eating 10 kilos of potatoes in a day.

Telling a Morbidly obese person that the reason they are fat is the sugar and the sugar industry is just another escape clause because life isn't that simple. the reason they are fat is the lack of exercise and the lack of a 'Balanced' diet and a balanced diet should contain sugar and more than the 10% of daily calories those with a sugar drum are banging. This 10% figure was from a report from the American Heart Association (Its on the website if you wish to read it). the 10% is actually 10% of discretionary calories which means after your daily needs have been met.

This is a really good piece from a RD explaining this with some common sense points about sugar

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140509014800-28240857-can-you-find-health-by-avoiding-sugar?published=t
    fructose and glucose may be similar, but the definetly have a major difference; glucose has one more carbon in its central ring than fructose, makes a pretty decent difference when it comes to reactivity.
    HFCS may be 45% glucose and 55% fructose and sucrose may be a 50/50 split but the are also very different, in sucrose fructose and glucose are bonded through an oxygen atom, in HFCS they are 2 seperate molecules in a homogeneous mixture
  • BigT555
    Options

Sugar is never evil.
    147g.

I am sorry but coming from someone who had a MAJOR sugar addiction I emphatically disagree. I am not quoting internet studies or something I read. I am simply going from my own personal experience. Sugar addiction is totally real. I will admit that just having a bit of an elevated sugar intake won't cause this. But I consumed 2-4 liters of full sugar soda a day for years. In the end I absolutely could not live without it or some form of sugar. Whenever I had it it was like drinking the nectar of the gods. I would glug it down like I just couldn't get it down my throat fast enough. During this time other sweet things almost lost their taste completely. Fruit tasted of nothing. And even chocolate seemed less sweet. When I came off it I would literally DREAM of coca cola. I would be thirsty all the time no matter how much I drank. When I passed it in the isles I would feel an almost palpable physical tug towards it. I was constantly miserable. I have given up nicotine and in no way or form was giving up nicotine harder than giving up sugar.

In contrast after finally quitting all sugary things became sweet again including fruit. I lost my craving for sugary drinks entirely to the extent I tried one weeks later and found it sickeningly sweet. I was able to drink diet soda which before had just tasted like garbage to me.

If that isn't addiction then I am not sure what is. I don't think you average slightly overweight person is addicted to sugar. But sugar addiction is absolutely a real thing. And while at a lesser degree it might not be harmful believe me it absolutely can ruin a life.

I am not saying you have to give up your sugary cereal or anything. But people with uncontrollable sugar cravings probably have the same condition I had to a greater or lesser degree.

carry sugar packets around in your pocket and eat them whenever you felt a craving come on?
    kind of an odd argument...
    if someone doesnt blow their life savings on coke but they do it every single day are they not addicted?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon Toast Crunch....just sayin. :love: :love: :love:
  • ndj1979
    Options

Sugar is never evil.
    147g.

if someone doesnt blow their life savings on coke but they do it every single day are they not addicted?

if you do coke every day you will be broke…unless of course you are already a millionaire or something ….

that was partially made in jest….
  • BigT555
    Options

Sugar is never evil.
    147g.

if you do coke every day you will be broke…unless of course you are already a millionaire or something ….

that was partially made in jest….
    fair enough, but to dismiss the argument that sugar can be addictive is incorrect. just trying to get the facts straight, im not encouraging totally cutting out sugars from our diets, its unrealistic