Tips to get over a heartache

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    My thought is that if a person I liked/loved wasn't going to be happy when being with me, then I'm just foolin' myself. It will end up being a miserable relationship and just cause more heartache. Better to find out now than later.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Relationships are funny.
    you can have a 99.9% failure rate but, that ONE sucessful one makes it all worth it.

would you come over and explain this to my mother, please? i'm sick to death of hearing her crow about how much better at relationships she is than me because she's had two husbands to my four boyfriends. no, you do not win the relationship game just because you were married for seventeen years. :huh:

Tell your mom it's better to find out BEFORE you marry someone that they are not the one not after. I'm a Mom to a teenage daughter and can't imagine saying such a thing to her. Mom/daughter relationship isn't a contest. I'm just shaking my head.
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    There's this little button on their facebook profile that probably says 'following', yeah, you really want that to say unfollowing. Do it, now. Really though, once you stop seeing them pop up on your screen all the time, it becomes easier to forget, or at least distract yourself.

Running and work have seem to been good distractions.

But then again, cupcakes work too
  • Timmmmmber
    Timmmmmber Posts: 2
    Options
    Man, all you gotta do is find a girl that looks just like her, nail her, and then dump her, man. Get her of your mind.

Your only mistake is that you didn't dump her first. Diane Court is a show pony. You need a stallion, my friend. Walk with us and you walk tall.

*****es, man.
  • PirateDeathRay
    PirateDeathRay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try writing your ex a letter that you never intend to send. This works well for me. I write down everything that I'm feeling and everything that I'm going through: The anger, sadness, betray, emptiness. Whatever I'm feeling, I write it down. I beg him to take me back or threaten his life if he comes by my place again, depending on the situation. I write down the secret things that I would never admit to feeling but am feeling all the same. I write until I am worn out and tired and then I put the letter away. It's fun to burn, but it's also fun to read in 5 years when things are different. Every time the heartache builds up I write another letter to release some of the emotion. I find it to be very cathartic.

I also write letters to myself, which is basically what the letter to my ex was, since I never sent it. Sometimes I skip ahead in my journal and write about my feelings with the knowledge that by the time I fill up all the pages in between, I will have healed some, if not completely, and when I read the entry in the future I will be able to tell a difference between the pain I wrote of on the pages and the pain that I will be feeling in my heart at the time.

Time is the only thing that will help. Find ways to pass the time pleasantly and distract yourself. Realize that every moment that passes is bringing you one moment closer to a healed heart. Every day that you survive this unendurable pain is one day closer to happiness.

Since the time is going to pass, anyway, why not put it to good use? Find something you wish you knew how to do or wish you did more often, and do it. A year from now, you will feel better. Or in a year you will feel better and speak French/crochet/draw/play the flute/run in a marathon et cetera.

You will get through this. Don't forget that. Good luck!
  • lazydanthaman
    lazydanthaman Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    shave your head

Results may vary on this one...

britney-umbrella.jpg
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Other than shopping, makeup, etc.
    Think about the things you've missed! All that time you can now spend with your friends and family.
    If you feel super blue go on youtube and type in 'perks of being single' etc. SO many hilarious vids to remind you and make you laugh. ;)
    Or put on 'Dancing On My Own' by Robyn, grab a bottle of vodka and have the time of your life. haha
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Relationships are funny.
    you can have a 99.9% failure rate but, that ONE sucessful one makes it all worth it.

would you come over and explain this to my mother, please? i'm sick to death of hearing her crow about how much better at relationships she is than me because she's had two husbands to my four boyfriends. no, you do not win the relationship game just because you were married for seventeen years. :huh:
    The only way you "win" is to die while still in that one relationship you are happy about.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My buddy always says it's always best to get under the next ex...Not that that's my motto.
    I was more grateful that he did me the favor of leaving :)

Haha! I LOVE IT!!

After my divorce, I did a few things to help me move forward. Granted I wasn't heartbroken over the whole thing because I had already been slowly pulling away for about a year, it was still a little disheartening that my life was going to drastically change. I took on all the bills for our home plus raising my two children from a previous relationship by myself (their father isn't around).

First thing I did was to make sure I spent even more time with my girls. Whether it was helping more with homework or throwing the ball around for an extra 20 minutes. I started to consume myself with them even more. Then I made a list of things I wanted to do before my next birthday. I will be 30 in January so I made a "30 Before 30" list. It's a list of 30 things I wanted to do before I turned 30. I listed things like donating blood twice, going to a batting cage and hitting, seeing the beach, going to Branson, going to a wine tasting and volunteering. I was able to start contacting and conversing with old male friends that I had as well. My ex was a very insecure man so it's been years since I was able to talk with my best friend from high school. When my girls would go to their grandpa's for the weekend, I was able to get out and go see a movie or have dinner. I was able to start dating an old boyfriend that was recently divorced as well. He has now become the "new" boyfriend. :love:

So staying busy has really been a big help. Stopping all contact is the way to go unless you have children. Learning to love yourself and do the things that YOU like to do helps too. Sorry about the heartache but hopefully you will take some of the tips from everyone and continue moving forward.

"Semper Anticus" (Always Forward)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My buddy always says it's always best to get under the next ex...Not that that's my motto.

Haha! I LOVE IT!!

After my divorce, I did a few things to help me move forward. Granted I wasn't heartbroken over the whole thing because I had already been slowly pulling away for about a year, it was still a little disheartening that my life was going to drastically change. I took on all the bills for our home plus raising my two children from a previous relationship by myself (their father isn't around).

First thing I did was to make sure I spent even more time with my girls. Whether it was helping more with homework or throwing the ball around for an extra 20 minutes. I started to consume myself with them even more. Then I made a list of things I wanted to do before my next birthday. I will be 30 in January so I made a "30 Before 30" list. It's a list of 30 things I wanted to do before I turned 30. I listed things like donating blood twice, going to a batting cage and hitting, seeing the beach, going to Branson, going to a wine tasting and volunteering. I was able to start contacting and conversing with old male friends that I had as well. My ex was a very insecure man so it's been years since I was able to talk with my best friend from high school. When my girls would go to their grandpa's for the weekend, I was able to get out and go see a movie or have dinner. I was able to start dating an old boyfriend that was recently divorced as well. He has now become the "new" boyfriend. :love:

So staying busy has really been a big help. Stopping all contact is the way to go unless you have children. Learning to love yourself and do the things that YOU like to do helps too. Sorry about the heartache but hopefully you will take some of the tips from everyone and continue moving forward.

I loved all of this (seriously) but I am dying laughing about Branson. Sorry. I just live near it and find it pointless!!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    23s81gy.jpg

Usually works for me...!
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

Haha! I LOVE IT!!

I loved all of this (seriously) but I am dying laughing about Branson. Sorry. I just live near it and find it pointless!!

lol my kiddos love Silver Dollar City. :smile:
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    None of it works. Time only.

Definitely no looking at social media updates and new pics. That is the absolute worst.
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There's this little button on their facebook profile that probably says 'following', yeah, you really want that to say unfollowing. Do it, now. Really though, once you stop seeing them pop up on your screen all the time, it becomes easier to forget, or at least distract yourself.

Running and work have seem to been good distractions.

But then again, cupcakes work too

That's what I did. Minus the cupcakes, though. Cupcakes would have been nice.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Just give it time and try to distance yourself from that person as much as possible...get space. :(

Same boat here :(
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Dude should not even still be on your FB list.

Step 1: Delete number from phone.
    Step 2: Delete from all social media.
    Step 3: Find something productive on which to focus your energy. Take an art class. Go on a trip. Learn to play an instrument or to speak a foreign language. Find something you can learn how to do or something you can get better at, something that will make you feel good about yourself.

What NOT to do:
    1. Call him or text him
    2. Try to see him or "accidentally" run into him somewhere
    3. Stalk him on the Internet
    4. Call, text, stalk, or try to see or speak to his friends or family
    5. Put yourself in debt buying things you think will make you feel better
    6. Try to drink it away
    7. Starve yourself OR eat yourself into a coma

:drinker:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Tips to get over a heartache. And tips to not check on them on fb etc

delete and block them from phone and all social media.
    unplug all social media.
    find books to read, workouts to do, movies to watch at the theater b/c they cannot contact you that way and it fills your brain with new ideas that are not him.

make a daily appointment to mope/cry/write or otherwise have the feels necessary to get over it.

shorten that time daily and then start spreading it to alternate days and weekly.

do not try to go AROUND break up feels you have to go THRU them but you can do them at your own pace and without getting sucked back in. the best way to do this is to cut off ties completely.

OR

The best way to get over a man is to get under a new one.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    It's awkward to talk after stuff like that.

Just hop hop hop hop hop hop hop hop hop hop like a good rabbit onto the rest of your life life life life life...
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    So, I read the title as "Tips to get over a HEADACHE"
    I came in to tell you about water and pressure points, and was SO confused by everyone else's answers...
    LOL. Reading helps.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    You mean "hacks," right? Heartache hacks?

Here are my top heartache hacks.

Wait, I don't get heartache, I make it.

Well there's my hack I guess.