older people

Options
1235»

Replies

• Outwardlycalm
    Outwardlycalm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's never too late to lose weight. Friend of mine has a Dad who didn't start working out / lifting until his 40's. He's now retired and is in his late 50's and he looks great. When I first met him I assumed he was in his early 40's.

Here's my advice-
    1. Take it slow, pick a 1lb per week goal on this site. Easy to obtain and you will love the results. When your ready to adjust your goal you can, just don't go over 2 lbs per week as that can cause health issues. At 2 lbs per week you can lose 100lb in about a year. Nice huh?

2. You can eat anything and everything you want. Measure liquids in measuring cups and everything else using a scale. Get one for work and home. You lose weight by creating a calorie deficit, that's all. Processed foods, whole foods, candy, twinkies, broccoli it doesn't matter, you'll lose weight if you burn more calories than you consume.

3. Start a light exercise routine and don't feel like you need to gun it. The more calories you burn the more flexible you can be with eating and with treats. Consider easing your way into weight lifting to help preserve muscle and improve strength.

4. Ask for advice here on these boards, lots of good people who will not steer you wrong.

Thanks Good Advice
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    45 counts as "older people" ? Ouch! And me with out my walker!

JK- sending a friend request.

:laugh:
  • lorhea1
    lorhea1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I'm 70 and need to lose 50 lbs. I'm also new to this site. I hope I can get some good advice and help in losing my wait.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Mehhhh, I remember when these forums were bulletin boards! *grumble*