Let's talk cottage cheese

Options

Replies

• cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    tell me what I need to do to it to make me like it. What are your favourite add-ins? Or how do you eat it?

I want to like it. I really do. Easy, healthy, portable, don't need to cook. Help me help myself.

I get small curd, makes a difference and I add fruit (I get the little fruit cups and drain most of the juice off) any kind of fruit works great! OR tomatoes just dice them up and add them in, with some salt and pepper... real good!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Peaches, pineapple, mango, apple but peaches are the winner if there were a fruit for cottage cheese battle royale.
  • Jimsmith109
    Jimsmith109 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I personally like it plain.... But my wife mixes applesauce or pineapple with her's you can also try Blueberries, strawberries or what ever is your favorite.
    Jim
  • IlluminatedMayhem
    Options
    When I want it sweet I throw in some fruit (peaches, pineapple, grapes and berries are all yummy) otherwise I like it with pepper. It also stirs well into chili or vegetable soup. Or potatoes if you eat those. My grandma liked hers with salt, pepper and tomato.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    There are so many other options so you don't HAVE to like it but.... I like it with capers, sunflower seeds, diced cucumbers and dill, fruit, chia seeds, bacos, with diced avocado, dried edamame....
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    tell me what I need to do to it to make me like it. What are your favourite add-ins? Or how do you eat it?

I want to like it. I really do. Easy, healthy, portable, don't need to cook. Help me help myself.
    I toss some salt in it and than put it on top of a few Popchips or Sunchips. But I only like the large curd, non diet cottage cheese. Can't help you with the low fat, or fat free stuff.
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Definitely freshly cracked pepper. Doesn't need anything else.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have it on thin rice cakes. I put some cucumber slices and capsicum on top, with salt and pepper. Or i put sliced strawberries on top with a little bit of maple syrup :)
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like it with salsa, or black pepper, or using in a green salad as the "dressing", I like it with Mrs. Dash and I mixed it with dry cereal one morning because of not having any yogurt or milk, it wasn't bad just different. Salsa was the most pleasant surprise!
  • debr1126
    debr1126 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it, but now I love it. The full-fat variety. I like it sweetened with sugar, but now I'm using Stevia drops instead.

My trick for learning to like it? Think of it as chunky cheesecake. ;-)
  • cldmolly
    cldmolly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Okay, I found something I can eat. I pureed some frozen mango and I am eating it with my 1% cottage cheese. It's a little better than tolerable. I am going to try mashing a banana next. I will try other ideas as well that have been posted. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I know there are many options for eating protein but I don't always have the time or make the time to prep meals. This does in a pinch when I'm in a hurry to get out the door and my whiny baby is still clinging to my leg hampering my ability to make myself something.
  • countcalories1987
    Options
    Cottage cheese is one of those things that people kinda take or leave. I eat it with everyday spices like cinnamon, nut meg, ginger, chilies or cayenne, creole seasoning, mrs dash, bacon pieces and I love to put fresh onions, green onion, cilantro. if you want it a little sweeter frozen and fresh fruits and berries of all kinds are wonderful. cottage cheese is pretty mild by itself its mostly a texture issue so it will really lend itself well to all sorts of flavors. just find the ones that work for you. a friend of mine didn't like it with its natural liquid so he strains it and eats it with flavored crackers or on his tacos and flatbreads and such. works well that way for him. have fun experimenting.
  • midnightjogger
    midnightjogger Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The best way to eat cottage cheese is with an apple and cinnamon. Man, I couldn't believe it the first time I tasted it! It is delicious!
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Walnuts, cinnamon, and dried cranberries (just a few) and chia seeds
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Is there a brand that makes a low-sodium non-fat version?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

If you don't like it why even bother? There are plenty of other foods you can eat that you do like. :smile:
  • lijepa1979
    lijepa1979 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like the full fat, large curd with applesauce.
  • cldmolly
    cldmolly Posts: 66 Member
    Options

If you don't like it why even bother? There are plenty of other foods you can eat that you do like. :smile:

Easy, portable, healthy, don't need to cook. It's for those days I don't have time to do better for myself when I'm on the run (pretty much 5/7 days a week). I want to keep on track. And really, I've only ever had it plain on crackers before and had to choke it down. With the mango puree, it's a little better than tolerable.
  • LKuderna
    LKuderna Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    my vote is for chopped fresh tomatoes, salt, and pepper! And yes, the full-fat (4%) is much better than the lower fat varieties. Many of my friends mix it with fruit. Hope all these suggestions help!
  • hugrekki
    hugrekki Posts: 40
    Options
    Have you tried greek yogurt instead? I love vanilla blended Chobani. I used to try to eat cottage cheese for the protein but I couldn't stand the taste or the *insanely* high sodium count.