Let's talk cottage cheese

Options

Replies

• LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The best way to enjoy cottage cheese is to place a cup or so of any variety of cottage cheese you desire into a bowl and leave it on the counter for the next steps. Next you can prepare a hamburger patty on a grill, slice up some tomato and cut up a few leaves of romaine lettuce. Once the hamburger patty is cooked, remove from grill and assemble the tomato and lettuce on a bun with ketchup, mustard and pickles. You can then place the hamburger patty on your bun to complete a sandwich, and just toss the cottage cheese down the garbage disposal before you eat your delicious sandwich. This recipe goes really nice with a cold beer too..
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I don't like it sweet. I eat 2% with ground pepper. Higher fat would probably be better.
  • cldmolly
    cldmolly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The best way to enjoy cottage cheese is to place a cup or so of any variety of cottage cheese you desire into a bowl and leave it on the counter for the next steps. Next you can prepare a hamburger patty on a grill, slice up some tomato and cut up a few leaves of romaine lettuce. Once the hamburger patty is cooked, remove from grill and assemble the tomato and lettuce on a bun with ketchup, mustard and pickles. You can then place the hamburger patty on your bun to complete a sandwich, and just toss the cottage cheese down the garbage disposal before you eat your delicious sandwich. This recipe goes really nice with a cold beer too..

I laughed right out loud.
  • cldmolly
    Options
    Dont like it and never will. There are plenty of other easy portable snacks you can eat without forcing yourself to choke down cottage cheese

Would love to hear your list of easy portable snacks. I feel like I'm already doing a lot of them but would love more options!
  • vaponte12
    vaponte12 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello,

Wow, cottage cheese I don't like it, lol. Does this really help? I like the peaches though, has anybody mixed the peaches with cottage cheese if yes, how did it taste?
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Try the 4% small curd.
    If you add anything but a protein or veggie to it you are really defeating the purpose of eating it.
    Try it in an omelete.
    I've put tuna fish in it before and liked it too.
  • Alexandra_S
    Alexandra_S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Add fruit or jam to make it sweet. Add yoghurt or sour cream to make it... Um... creamy! Lol. Add herbs (dill, parsley, chives) and salt to make it savoury and spread on a slice of bread. Yum!
    I also used to know one Bulgarian recipe. Generally it was like cooking scrambled eggs and then at the last step adding cottage cheese mixed with the herbs I mentioned, salt and black pepper. My brother hates cottage cheese and it's one of the only three ways he eats it.
    You also can bake cottage cheese. 500 grams will require 3 eggs and only 2 tbsp of flour and 2 -3 tbsp of semolina. Add sugar and fruit if you want your cake to be sweet, add herbs and salt if you want it savoury. I love adding chopped dried tomatoes and fresh coriander. Yummy! (Yes, those were two other ways my brother eats cottage cheese: a sweet cake and a savoury cake).

Ps.: I can share detailed recipes if you need, contact me.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Try the 4% small curd.
    If you add anything but a protein or veggie to it you are really defeating the purpose of eating it.
    Try it in an omelete.
    I've put tuna fish in it before and liked it too.

?
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Is there a brand that makes a low-sodium non-fat version?

yes but it is really not palatable in my opinion. I have to mix it with regular to be able to eat it. (low sodium version)

However, I cannot recall what brand it was as I was living in MA at the time. I have not seen it since I moved to NY
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Love the idea of putting salsa on it.

My go to is to make a tzatziki like thing with it - cut up some cucumber, garlic and mix it in with some lemon juice and a bit of mint if I have it. I have it on crackers. Yum.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    tell me what I need to do to it to make me like it. What are your favourite add-ins? Or how do you eat it?

I want to like it. I really do. Easy, healthy, portable, don't need to cook. Help me help myself.
    If you don't like it why even bother? There are plenty of other foods you can eat that you do like. :smile:

Easy, portable, healthy, don't need to cook. It's for those days I don't have time to do better for myself when I'm on the run (pretty much 5/7 days a week). I want to keep on track. And really, I've only ever had it plain on crackers before and had to choke it down. With the mango puree, it's a little better than tolerable.
    Well, I LOVE cottage cheese but don't eat it because I'm lactose intolerant and can't find the lactose free kind where I live.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Why? Does the cottage cheese turn or something?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Love it! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Let's talk cottage cheese

Ugh lets not, its like cold snot.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Have you tried greek yogurt instead? I love vanilla blended Chobani. I used to try to eat cottage cheese for the protein but I couldn't stand the taste or the *insanely* high sodium count.

Chobani has insanely high sugar content to their greek yogurts, so not really a good substitution.
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    blend it with ricotta cheese, cocoa powder and make a pudding
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Is there a brand that makes a low-sodium non-fat version?

yes but it is really not palatable in my opinion. I have to mix it with regular to be able to eat it. (low sodium version)

However, I cannot recall what brand it was as I was living in MA at the time. I have not seen it since I moved to NY

I've looked at most grocery stores in my area and can only find either low-sodium or non-fat, never both in one package unfortunately. I'm still looking so if you know of a brand, please let me know.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    2% is my standard for dairy. Cottage cheese with garlic salt, salsa and corn chips. I do not know when or where I started this.
  • sjdavis15
    sjdavis15 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    love the 4% small curd. it's the only way i'll eat it. I eat it with tomatoes and a ton of black pepper, but I also puree it and use it in place of mayo for egg salad, macaroni salad, potato salad, or tuna (it's the best if you add a little plain yogurt), but you can also just add a little salt and it works wonders. I also use it for a veggie dip (2/3 cottage cheese to 1/3 plain yogurt, 1/4 cup of green onion and some Lawry's Seasoning Salt to taste-amazing). I've mixed it with Ricotta in lasagna and you would never know. It truly is a versatile kitchen staple.
  • cldmolly
    Options
    blend it with ricotta cheese, cocoa powder and make a pudding

well this is interesting.