Breakfast ideas that will get me through to lunch?

Options

Replies

• Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Probably best to squeeze a snack in between if at all possible. A banana with some yogurt would work, or even a peanut butter sandwich.

But if you can not at all eat due to time constraints, then it sounds like you need a bigger breakfast.
    I'd go a hearty good meal that has a lot of each macro nutrient.

Eggs (or lots of egg whites) with some cheese or other fat source like butter, and with some long-lasting carbs like a bowl of oatmeal or even a whole baked potato.

OR -- just deal with it and enjoy lunch all the more since you are extra hungry. :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry at 11 whether I eat breakfast or not. so skip it and have a bigger lunch .

Huh. Glad that works for you. Definitely not something I'm going to try. I am hungry if I don't eat by 6am. If I were waking up later -- like at 7 or 8 -- I could probably wait until 11, but not when I'm waking up at 4:45am.

I get up s 5 am. I eat lunch at noon. lately I've been eating blackberries on the days I m really hungry.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Have you considered protein bars for snacks? I nibble on one protein bar through the morning and it keeps me going strong until lunch. I just open it, but leave the wrapper on, and then fold everything up and stick it in my pocket or purse.

Do you have any brands/types that you recommend? I have yet to meet a protein bar that I can stomach, but I would love to find something easy and fast like that!

I just started trying the Quest protein bars and I love them!! You can order a 12 bar sample pack on their website for like $31 (including flat rate shipping). So far ALL the bars are amazing, though I do have favorites. The chocolate chip cookie dough, warmed up only by being in my pocket, was like heaven. It was delicious and decadent; tasted like real cookie dough and hit the spot right where I needed it.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I find that if I have anything with sugar, or high in carbs, for breakfast, I am hungry too early on as well. My schedule works out so that I eat breakfast around 9 am usually, and I've always had trouble with being hungry again by 11, whether I am doing a very active job or a sedentary one. Through my weight loss journey I've come to realize that that was mainly because I was usually eating carbs/too much sugar for breakfast. I now have a yogurt mixture I make that actually keeps me full, and is very high-protein. I combine Greek yogurt (either a 1/2 or whole serving depending on the fat content of the yogurt, or how active I'm going to be that day); 1 serving of plain whey protein powder; a tablespoon or so of grated coconut; the same amount of hemp seeds; and some vanilla and 1/2 cup of some berries from my freezer. It's quite good, very filling and staying, and around 350 calories. And, it doesn't require cooking at all, which I hate doing in the morning!

Question: could you make a smoothie of some kind, stick it in a thermos, and have that with you and sip it throughout the morning? Surely you are allowed a water bottle/thermos with you at your job?
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry at 11 whether I eat breakfast or not. so skip it and have a bigger lunch .

Huh. Glad that works for you. Definitely not something I'm going to try. I am hungry if I don't eat by 6am. If I were waking up later -- like at 7 or 8 -- I could probably wait until 11, but not when I'm waking up at 4:45am.

I get up s 5 am. I eat lunch at noon. lately I've been eating blackberries on the days I m really hungry.

Wow! That's amazing.
  • azyzzam
    azyzzam Posts: 36
    Options
    Spinach or mushrooms with eggs and goat cheese!

Or you could make protein powder pancakes!
  • sealionwoman23
    Options
    I have a terrible time trying to figure out what to have for breakfast! Lately, I've found something that actually keeps me full (and I always feel very energized and alert after eating it!) I scramble an egg (sometimes throw a small amount of chorizo that I cook and then freeze) and put it in a toasted tortilla with melted cheese and usually some avocado and hot sauce. I keep my scale handy and have it saved as a meal, then just adjust the amounts as needed. It's pretty quick and, as I said before, very filling. I've also found that eaton a few more calories at breakfast and scaling back a bit at lunch works really well for me (I used to do the opposite). I'm also enjoying all the other great ideas in this thread!
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Not sure what kind of a job you have but I'm sure they will let you drink something in 5 hours? Instead of a bottle of water a protein shake?

When I have to go a long way without eating this is what I have;
    A shake:
    One scoop of protein powder (I love ON whey isolate they sell at Costco)
    One cup of 2% milk (the bit of fat helps :-)
    One banana
    Sandwich:
    Two wheat bread toasts
    1 tablespoon peanut butter
    1/4 cup of cottage cheese

Protein makes you feel fuller and the cottage cheese has casein which digests slowly. This usually gets me thru a 5-6 hours stretch, but I'm a girl that weights 128, so it might not work for a guy. Good luck, starving is not a good feeling. Make sure not to chew gum, that always makes me hungry.

Good luck
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Never skip breakfast, bad idea. Not when you are trying to lose weight or build muscle. Don't they teach that when you're little?

jmwu :noway:
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Never skip breakfast, bad idea. Not when you are trying to lose weight or build muscle. Don't they teach that when you're little?

jmwu :noway:

Why? As long as you're getting in the right number of cals/macros, why does it matter when you eat?
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I feel great if I eat some oats in the morning. I like overnight oats with plenty of chia seeds. Here's my personal favorite (my husband eats about double what I do).

1/4 cup oats
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    1/2 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
    1 tsp maple syrup
    1/2 banana
    Cinnamon
    Cardamom

I tend to like mine a bit on the runny side. They're good cold, or you can leave it out while you shower or whatever and eat it room temp.

It may not be enough for you, though, based on what you've said.
  • getfitwithlee
    getfitwithlee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shake.... with lots of protein included.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Something with a good balance of carbs and protein is usually what I do.

Lately I eat a high(er) protein cereal with almond milk and some sort of fruit. Works well for me.
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Have you considered protein bars for snacks? I nibble on one protein bar through the morning and it keeps me going strong until lunch. I just open it, but leave the wrapper on, and then fold everything up and stick it in my pocket or purse.

Do you have any brands/types that you recommend? I have yet to meet a protein bar that I can stomach, but I would love to find something easy and fast like that!

Have you tried Quest bars? I love them and they keep me quite full as well. I normally eat lunch at 1pm, but don't eat dinner until 9pm. A Quest bar at around 5pm keeps the hunger at bay till I can have dinner.
  • keepmovinstrong
    keepmovinstrong Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wow! We have similar hours and I've been having the same struggle trying to stay full from 5a.m. to lunch @ 11. Protein shakes are filling with a banana but by 8 a.m. my stomach is growling at me.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast at 6 and lunch at noon. Hungry happens. One high protein meal I use that helps is an egg white omelette.

5 large egg whites - 17 calories each
    2 pieces reduced fat provolone - Sargento - 50 calories each
    2 oz. Jimmy Dean sausage - 140 calories for reduced fat - 180 calories for normal
    Salt pepper - 0 calories
    add a little dried onion to the egg whites - 0 calories
    add veggies to suit - um - maybe 5 calories

I scramble the entire concoction - cheese an all - it mixes right in.
    I make the breakfast sausage ahead of time and just spoon in the correct portion
    I think the cheese is what helps me stay full.
    this also keeps/reheats well. I often make two meals and put one in the fridge for tomorrow.

Verdict: 330 to 370 calories - but I am full when done eating.
  • 7fatcats
    7fatcats Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Stuff on pumpernickel (or German style rye) bread! I was looking at lower GI options and someone told me about this. I have noticed a real benefit on lasting til lunch when I have this for breakfast.

What I like is its so versatile, and I have been having things like mushrooms, poached or scrambled eggs, etc. I am a veggie so often have stuff -- I add things like courgettes and tomatoes and mixed seeds to the topping to further raise the bulk of it.

It is quite high in itself, about 150 calories a slice, but when I sometimes attempt ed to have two as a quickie breakfast, just as toast, I find I have to leave some - literally can't eat two slices. So overall a slice with an egg or two is still pretty good.

It takes some toasting - two goes in the toaster - but I love it.

It doesn't absorb butter or spread much either - when I use that, it takes only a couple of grams.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Stuff on pumpernickel (or German style rye) bread! I was looking at lower GI options and someone told me about this...

That's funny because when I was getting new tires on my car a couple months ago the television in the waiting room at the tire place was turned to Dr Phil and he said eat rye bread to stay full. Good ole Dr Phil. I wonder if the person who told you this watches Dr Phil? He also mentioned fava beans and wasabi as being useful.
  • KirstenRLD
    KirstenRLD Posts: 54
    Options
    Oatmeal or eggs, and a smoothie. That keeps me going. :)
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Low-Carb-High-Protein-Breakfasts-30915254

This link has some good breakfast ideas... The avocado one is really filling... Maybe the combo of fats and protein?

Something which may also affect your hunger is if you're hydrated enough... I haven't read through the rest of the posts to see if this has been asked/answered but do u drink enough water in the morning? I understand not being able to eat during work but what about carrying a bottle around? Try aiming to finish 1-2 bottles before lunch and see if that helps.