Breakfast ideas that will get me through to lunch?

Options

Replies

• jeffhayes6
    jeffhayes6 Posts: 11
    Options
    there is NO research anywhere that will support skipping breakfast! NONE! So dont do that. Try to get a balance of protein, carbs, fiber and fat - yes fat. You need some. I usually have one of the following:
    english muffin with peanut butter
    english muffin with egg white, and turkey sausage and cheese (lean cuisine makes a good one)
    cereal - like raisin bran crunch
    protein shake

i also try to have milk, almonds, and some fruit. Any combo of the above comes in under 500 calories. I also drink water all morning which helps.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I have (3) pieces of bacon or sausage and (2) eggs everyday for breakfast (about 450 cals) and I'm always satisfied until lunch, if not further. :)
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Three eggs fried in 1 tbsp of butter - topped with whatever you like...hot sauce, etc.

I eat breakfast at about 5AM and don't eat lunch till about 11:30AM. I am hungry by the time lunch time rolls around but by no means starving. The fat/protein content is what keeps me full.
  • jasonmh630
    Options
    there is NO research anywhere that will support skipping breakfast! NONE! So dont do that. Try to get a balance of protein, carbs, fiber and fat - yes fat. You need some. I usually have one of the following:
    english muffin with egg white, and turkey sausage and cheese (lean cuisine makes a good one)
    protein shake

i also try to have milk, almonds, and some fruit. Any combo of the above comes in under 500 calories. I also drink water all morning which helps.

There is also no definitive proof that eating 3+ meals a day helps you. It doesn't matter what time or how frequently you eat, as long as you eat around your calorie limit.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Maybe a meal drink? Like Ensure or one of those more balanced types, Atkins makes some too oh and Special K has one... there are also togo soups too...
  • jmangini
    jmangini Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    protein shake

There is also no definitive proof that eating 3+ meals a day helps you. It doesn't matter what time or how frequently you eat, as long as you eat around your calorie limit.

the funny thing about nutrition is there isn't definitive proof of anything. Experts all disagree. Paleo, Atkins, Mediterranean - high carb, high protein, high fat. It's all so confusing because apparently no one knows. You can find a study that shows any of them are better. Nutrition is a mystery still. Fasting is good for you to some. Eating every 3 hours to others. The funny thing is this. Even though there is no proof of anything, people get soooo angry and adamant they are right and everyone else is wrong. It's pretty hilarious if you keep an open mind
  • jmangini
    jmangini Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    protein shake

the funny thing about nutrition is there isn't definitive proof of anything. Experts all disagree. Paleo, Atkins, Mediterranean - high carb, high protein, high fat. It's all so confusing because apparently no one knows. You can find a study that shows any of them are better. Nutrition is a mystery still. Fasting is good for you to some. Eating every 3 hours to others. The funny thing is this. Even though there is no proof of anything, people get soooo angry and adamant they are right and everyone else is wrong. It's pretty hilarious if you keep an open mind
    some say a calorie is a calorie. Others say all calories aren't equal. Some say it's just the macros that matter. Eat at night. Don't eat at night. Anyone who thinks they know for sure is either stubborn, ignorant or a narcissist lol. The bottom line is we are all different and need to find what works for us and most importantly, what we can live with. No diet is going to work if we are miserable and won't stick to it.
  • jasonmh630
    Options
    protein shake

You're right, my friend. What might work for you, might not work for me. Everyone's body is different from another's in so many ways. There are lots of variables.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This morning I upped my breakfast calories all-around and I felt hungry at lunchtime, but not starving. Not only that, but my FitBit tells me I walked about 2,000 MORE steps than I normally would have by the same time in the day, which tells me that I had enough energy that I was staying even more active than usual without feeling drained.

This is what I did:
    Egg white omelet made with arugala, garlic, feta cheese and turkey sausage
    Thomas' Bagel Thin with a little butter
    1% coconut mocha (I make mine at home)

Altogether, it was 537 calories. This isn't a huge leap up from my other breakfasts, but I think that the fact that I included carbs WITH the high-protein omlet made the difference. I think before I had figured if I was going to make an omelet, I couldn't do a bagel as well because that would be overkill. In actuality, it seems like it was the perfect combo!

Sounds like a great breakfast!
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    23sb1ac.jpg

Calories: 270
    Carbs: 0g
    Protein: 21g
    Fat: 19g

If you want some carbs have your oatmeal or favorite toast/english muffin for another 70-100cals.

I like Thomas' English muffins for 100 cals or you can do Aunt Millies 35cal/slice bread.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Have you considered protein bars for snacks? I nibble on one protein bar through the morning and it keeps me going strong until lunch. I just open it, but leave the wrapper on, and then fold everything up and stick it in my pocket or purse.

Do you have any brands/types that you recommend? I have yet to meet a protein bar that I can stomach, but I would love to find something easy and fast like that!

Nature Valley just recently came out with protein bars that are quite good.
  • jennafer32
    jennafer32 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Lots of protein will get you through!
    Protein pancakes (or waffles just add tsp oil)
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    2 eggs
    1/2 c almond milk
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp flaxseed
    ( you can add quick oats too just add alittle more almond milk)
    Mix all together and cook on hot non-stick skillet
    make 3 large pancakes
    top with your choice of cool whip, slivered almonds, strawberries, banana, blueberries, cooked apples and a little sugar free syrup

*For lower carb and high fat use 2 oz cream cheese blend with eggs & cinnamon protein powder and 1/4 c almond milk
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I tried this smoothie last week a few days, it kept me full for from 630am to noon

Its call the Pink Breakfast Smoothie

1 c strawberries
    1 banana
    1/2 c oats
    1 tsp raw honey
    1/2 c peanut butter
    1 c almond milk or other milk you drink?
    handful of ice cubes
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Have you considered protein bars for snacks? I nibble on one protein bar through the morning and it keeps me going strong until lunch. I just open it, but leave the wrapper on, and then fold everything up and stick it in my pocket or purse.

Do you have any brands/types that you recommend? I have yet to meet a protein bar that I can stomach, but I would love to find something easy and fast like that!

Nature Valley just recently came out with protein bars that are quite good.

They are tasty, but at 10g of protein for 200 calories, I think they're a bit of a joke for 'protein bars'.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I do better when I have more protein. I like to sautee 2 big handfuls of kale in a pan with coconut or olive oil, then pour 2-3 eggs on and cook like an omelet. THe kale helps feel fuller, and the protein in the eggs gives me enough energy to make it too lunch. WHen I eat a bagel or oatmeal I'm always hungry again within 1-2 hours, if I eat eggs I am more satisfied. Just try to focus on getting more protein in. Carrots are a good snack you can eat mid-morning to keep you going. 1-2 big carrots should do the trick (don't waste your money on baby carrots, they are over processed and dipped in chemicals to keep from turning white. Big carrots are a hell of a lot cheaper and are the exact same thing. I actually find eating big carrots more satisfying too because there is more chewing involved)
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    OP, did you try the protein pancakes?
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    OP, did you try the protein pancakes?

Not yet, but my dad have me his recipe for Quinoia pancakes. He made them when he was in town for memorial day weekend. I had 1.5 of the leftover pancakes on Tuesday and they carried me through to lunch just fine!
  • 55jermaine
    55jermaine Posts: 1
    Options
    This is a wonderful breakfast, half cup of cooked quinoa, 2 scrambled eggs, half of an avocado, and I use my homemade salsa, I like it spicy and I know what is in it.
    Cook quinoa, then add the rest, you can add the salsa to the eggs as they cook.
    Hope you enjoy, it will keep you filled, in fact most times I save half, to full, I always have fruit in addition so this is just enough, I put the leftovers in the fridge, and eat it cold later amazing, add fruit.:smile::smile: :smile:
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    protein shake

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    protein shake

I agree with that.