cut the SUGAR out

Options

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    One way to cut sugar is to use a substitute or just try avoiding unhealthy sweets and grab some fruit instead to curb your addiction.
    But, fruit has sugar in it. . . .

Shhhhhh they don't know that

giggles
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    This time I am trying to cut out SUGAR. By not adding sugar or eating things with so much sugar in them. Unfortunately here in America we love sugar and most things have sugar in them, but I am working on it. I am craving sweet things by the afternoon I am also feeling quite a bit more tired with out all the added sugar in my diet. This is like day two hopefully by weeks end I will be feeling alot better....

Do you have any helpful hints on how to cut sugar from my diet?

I went low carb high fat and that curbed my cravings for sweet stuff and junk food in general.

Also cutting out trigger foods for about 30 days helped with me and then I would allow it to be re-introduced as and when I wanted it, although that is seldom now.

Good luck

"Trigger food" is about as much of a BS excuse as "sugar addiction"

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. :smile:

Is there science behind "trigger food"? Just curious.

Is there science disproving it? - just curious
    You're asking that they prove a negative?

No - I and many other's believe that certain foods trigger hormone releases that increase the psychological craving for certain types of food.

Until I have conclusive proof that this is not the case and evidence that such cravings are a result of something else, my stand point will be my stand point.

And this, folks, is why Dr. Oz is still on TV

OMG seriously, that guy has to be stopped. Well it's not his fault that everyone is so gullible.
  • amm8589
    amm8589 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you want to limit your sugar, avoid sweets like pies, cookies, cake, etc. If you crave something sweet, go for something healthier like fruit or yogurt.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    If you want to limit your sugar, avoid sweets like pies, cookies, cake, etc. If you crave something sweet, go for something healthier like fruit or yogurt.

I like ice cream and chocolate chip cookies
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My previous failed attempts to lose weight consisted of cutting out all the so called 'bad sugary' foods... probably explained why I only lasted about 2-3 weeks then whomped the weight back on plus more!

Don't feel like food is either good or bad whether it be sugary or not. Focus on your allotted calorie goal. If you want something sweet and it fits in with your daily allowance then have it, denying yourself only leads to cravings which often overtake you.

Eat foods you want and enjoy, just keep track of the amount of calories. The better you fit food into your daily allowance the more in control you will feel. If you deny yourself something you really want you may end up miserable and want it even more, (or at least I did) but by enjoying your food without feeling guilty and still meeting your goals will will be make you empowered and happier.

I wish you well in your healthy journey :)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    This time I am trying to cut out SUGAR. By not adding sugar or eating things with so much sugar in them. Unfortunately here in America we love sugar and most things have sugar in them, but I am working on it. I am craving sweet things by the afternoon I am also feeling quite a bit more tired with out all the added sugar in my diet. This is like day two hopefully by weeks end I will be feeling alot better....

I went low carb high fat and that curbed my cravings for sweet stuff and junk food in general.

Also cutting out trigger foods for about 30 days helped with me and then I would allow it to be re-introduced as and when I wanted it, although that is seldom now.

Good luck

You're asking that they prove a negative?

No - I and many other's believe that certain foods trigger hormone releases that increase the psychological craving for certain types of food.

Until I have conclusive proof that this is not the case and evidence that such cravings are a result of something else, my stand point will be my stand point.

And this, folks, is why Dr. Oz is still on TV

OMG seriously, that guy has to be stopped. Well it's not his fault that everyone is so gullible.

What ever happened to the Hippocratic Oath and "Do no harm?"
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't make you fat, homey. Caloric surpluses do.

But it's easier to over eat with sugary things. I could easily eat 500 calories of chocolate, but struggle to eat 500 calories of lentils.
  • amyosullivan12
    Options
    You can absolutely cut the sugar out - not sugar in fruit, yoghurt etc but added sugar such as in hot drinks, sweets, cakes etc. Sweet treats were my biggest downfall but I have been on a sugar detox for around 10 weeks now and the first week or so was hard but now its almost natural to not want sweet things. Don't get me wrong I almost dribble at the bakery section!

It's completely mind over matter, your body doesn't require the added sugar and if you can get in the right frame of mind to lose weight, then you can detox all sugar as well.

I won't do it forever - standard holiday dieting but I have been dieting since January 2013 and although I haven't lost much weight I have toned up and feel much better. I haven't had a take away for 3 months.. and the night I am back from holiday I am getting a huge Chinese ha.

It is difficult - it still frustrates me how easy it is to put on weight and how I wish I could eat what I want. Even sticking around 1,200 and daily exercise, I don't drop the weight very easily.

See it as a challenge, don't always rely on the scales, your insides will be so much healthier with a better diet.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't make you fat, homey. Caloric surpluses do.

But it's easier to over eat with sugary things. I could easily eat 500 calories of chocolate, but struggle to eat 500 calories of lentils.

Well, that's part of being a responsible adult.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't make you fat, honey. Caloric surpluses do.

Don't make me do math.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    This time

The first two words of your post tell me a lot. It's screaming at me that perhaps you are grasping at another trick. Why not get off the yo yo program and just do something that will help you for the rest of your life? I'm sure you've gotten an earful by this point in your thread. So I'll be brief:

calorie deficit
    weigh/measure all the food you eat
    meet your macros/micros
    patience
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Sugar doesn't make you fat, honey. Caloric surpluses do.

Don't make me do math.

DB32D31E90A57052D042AAB34E846F.jpg
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

Good luck

Normally I try to stay clear of discussions like this, because hey, if it helps somebody keep from overeating while they're learning how to do things right, I'm all for them cutting out whatever they want to cut out (though it likely won't work in the long run...) but come on man. This is nonsense. (and coming from me, that's saying a lot)
    Santa.jpg
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Of course. Two things, one is access, we have access to more food than ever in history. It's not the type of food, it's just food and plenty of it. Second, we live in a time/culture where self control is a super power and is not rewarded. Therefore, people with access to plenty of food and no self control get fat.
    Interesting. We do live for instant gratification. Patience is no longer a virtue.

And third (this is fun!) we don't value meal times anymore, we snack, or rather graze. Never feel full, never dare to get hungry.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Good luck

Normally I try to stay clear of discussions like this, because hey, if it helps somebody keep from overeating while they're learning how to do things right, I'm all for them cutting out whatever they want to cut out (though it likely won't work in the long run...) but come on man. This is nonsense. (and coming from me, that's saying a lot)
    Santa.jpg

I agree cutting out foods we really like long term is probably not the right course of action, but that's not what I have suggested!
  • Got_Discipline
    Got_Discipline Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This time

The first two words of your post tell me a lot. It's screaming at me that perhaps you are grasping at another trick. Why not get off the yo yo program and just do something that will help you for the rest of your life? I'm sure you've gotten an earful by this point in your thread. So I'll be brief:

calorie deficit
    meet your macros/micros
    patience

hmm last time I did this almost perfectly, "this time" my prioritise have changed. Now I am more interested in just being skinny fit (oxy-moron). Healthy happy family man that is where I am going.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Good luck

Santa.jpg

I agree cutting out foods we really like long term is probably not the right course of action, but that's not what I have suggested!

:huh:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    This time

calorie deficit
    meet your macros/micros
    patience

I don't just like you...I love you.
    hmm last time I did this almost perfectly, "this time" my prioritise have changed. Now I am more interested in just being skinny fit (oxy-moron). Healthy happy family man that is where I am going.

Her advice is still dead on. You want to get fit, then lift all the heavy things. I have plenty of guy friends on my list who eat whatever they want, lift all the heavy things and are very fit.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Good luck

Santa.jpg

:huh:

And what is :huh: about that - please explain!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

Good luck

Santa.jpg

Well.....good, I guess. Because that's not the part I was taking issue with. That's why I bolded the part I was taking issue with. Reading is hard...almost as hard as logic. You can use science to suggest, or prove the existence of something, but you can't use it to prove the non-existence of something. Otherwise, you open the discussion up to being sidelined by virtually any imaginary flight of fancy. (Hence the Santa picture.) Scientifically prove to me that Santa doesn't exist, and we can continue.