cut the SUGAR out

Options

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    This time

The first two words of your post tell me a lot. It's screaming at me that perhaps you are grasping at another trick. Why not get off the yo yo program and just do something that will help you for the rest of your life? I'm sure you've gotten an earful by this point in your thread. So I'll be brief:

calorie deficit
    weigh/measure all the food you eat
    meet your macros/micros
    patience

hmm last time I did this almost perfectly, "this time" my prioritise have changed. Now I am more interested in just being skinny fit (oxy-moron). Healthy happy family man that is where I am going.

Which you can achieve through everything she posted.

The idea of cutting out sugar is trivial at best. I can agree with one thing, sugar is not a necessary micro, but it's also not a detrimental one to what you wish to achieve, unless you're using up all your calories consuming it and severely lacking in nutrients (which is silly and no one would suggest this) If you're balancing your nutrients, sugar can be completely ignored. I like using it as what it is...A carb. Those carbs give me energy to train and reach my goals.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    This time I am trying to cut out SUGAR. By not adding sugar or eating things with so much sugar in them. Unfortunately here in America we love sugar and most things have sugar in them, but I am working on it. I am craving sweet things by the afternoon I am also feeling quite a bit more tired with out all the added sugar in my diet. This is like day two hopefully by weeks end I will be feeling alot better....

Do you have any helpful hints on how to cut sugar from my diet?

I went low carb high fat and that curbed my cravings for sweet stuff and junk food in general.

Also cutting out trigger foods for about 30 days helped with me and then I would allow it to be re-introduced as and when I wanted it, although that is seldom now.

Good luck

"Trigger food" is about as much of a BS excuse as "sugar addiction"

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. :smile:

Is there science behind "trigger food"? Just curious.

Is there science disproving it? - just curious

Normally I try to stay clear of discussions like this, because hey, if it helps somebody keep from overeating while they're learning how to do things right, I'm all for them cutting out whatever they want to cut out (though it likely won't work in the long run...) but come on man. This is nonsense. (and coming from me, that's saying a lot)
    Santa.jpg

I agree cutting out foods we really like long term is probably not the right course of action, but that's not what I have suggested!

Well.....good, I guess. Because that's not the part I was taking issue with. That's why I bolded the part I was taking issue with. Reading is hard...almost as hard as logic. You can use science to suggest, or prove the existence of something, but you can't use it to prove the non-existence of something. Otherwise, you open the discussion up to being sidelined by virtually any imaginary flight of fancy. (Hence the Santa picture.) Scientifically prove to me that Santa doesn't exist, and we can continue.

Okay a study to prove!

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2013/06/26/ajcn.113.064113.abstract
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    This time I am trying to cut out SUGAR. By not adding sugar or eating things with so much sugar in them. Unfortunately here in America we love sugar and most things have sugar in them, but I am working on it. I am craving sweet things by the afternoon I am also feeling quite a bit more tired with out all the added sugar in my diet. This is like day two hopefully by weeks end I will be feeling alot better....

I went low carb high fat and that curbed my cravings for sweet stuff and junk food in general.

Also cutting out trigger foods for about 30 days helped with me and then I would allow it to be re-introduced as and when I wanted it, although that is seldom now.

Good luck

Normally I try to stay clear of discussions like this, because hey, if it helps somebody keep from overeating while they're learning how to do things right, I'm all for them cutting out whatever they want to cut out (though it likely won't work in the long run...) but come on man. This is nonsense. (and coming from me, that's saying a lot)
    Santa.jpg

I agree cutting out foods we really like long term is probably not the right course of action, but that's not what I have suggested!

:huh:

And what is :huh: about that - please explain!

Not addressing the validity of the "prove it's wrong" advice you gave (and the hedging you always do), you said you didn't suggest anything, but you actually did.
  • jmangini
    jmangini Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to eliminate unwanted ingredients, whether it be sugar, or high fructose corn syrup, or mono sodium glutamate, or partially hydrogenated oils- is simply to avoid processed foods.
    Buy whole foods and cook.
    It's healthier, it's cheaper, and it tastes better.
    this is the way to go
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

Good luck

Santa.jpg

Well.....good, I guess. Because that's not the part I was taking issue with. That's why I bolded the part I was taking issue with. Reading is hard...almost as hard as logic. You can use science to suggest, or prove the existence of something, but you can't use it to prove the non-existence of something. Otherwise, you open the discussion up to being sidelined by virtually any imaginary flight of fancy. (Hence the Santa picture.) Scientifically prove to me that Santa doesn't exist, and we can continue.

Okay a study to prove!

There....was that so hard? (My position on the issue of dietary restriction remains the same. My whole purpose for jumping in is that the discussion is muddy enough without introducing logical fallacies.)
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    This time

The first two words of your post tell me a lot. It's screaming at me that perhaps you are grasping at another trick. Why not get off the yo yo program and just do something that will help you for the rest of your life? I'm sure you've gotten an earful by this point in your thread. So I'll be brief:

calorie deficit
    weigh/measure all the food you eat
    meet your macros/micros
    patience

hmm last time I did this almost perfectly, "this time" my prioritise have changed. Now I am more interested in just being skinny fit (oxy-moron). Healthy happy family man that is where I am going.

Well, okay. I'm not sure what skinny/fit looks like. Somehow, healthy, happy family man and skinny/fit don't seem compatible. But these are your goals. I found that when I made 'being healthy' my only goal - everything else fell into place. Then it was fairly easy to make this a real change and not just a temporary fix. I've been losing (a little over 100 lbs) for the last 2 years. I'm fine with doing this (with lifting and running) for the rest of my life and not bat an eye.

Good luck with your goals. :drinker:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Good luck

Santa.jpg

Not addressing the validity of the "prove it's wrong" advice you gave (and the hedging you always do), you said you didn't suggest anything, but you actually did.

No I stated that I did not suggest cutting things out long term. What worked for me was cutting out for 30 days and re-introducing if I wanted to.

You seem very keen to flame bait my posts!

I posted a study above regarding craving from high GI foods and the brains increased rewards system.

Whilst this is not a study, it is a very interesting article for probably the worlds leading calorie counting (and portion control) company!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/09/weight-watchers-finally-recognizes-calorie-counting-doesnt-work.aspx
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Good luck

Santa.jpg

Okay a study to prove!

There....was that so hard? (My position on the issue of dietary restriction remains the same. My whole purpose for jumping in is that the discussion is muddy enough without introducing logical fallacies.)

:laugh:

Consider it an early Xmas present from Santa.

My position on dietary restriction also stays the same - you have your restrictions and I have mine - IMO both work.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

Good luck

Santa.jpg

Okay a study to prove!

:laugh:

Consider it an early Xmas present from Santa.

My position on dietary restriction also stays the same - you have your restrictions and I have mine - IMO both work.

I absolutely agree.:drinker:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Good luck

Santa.jpg

No I stated that I did not suggest cutting things out long term. What worked for me was cutting out for 30 days and re-introducing if I wanted to.

I posted a study above regarding craving from high GI foods and the brains increased rewards system.

Whilst this is not a study, it is a very interesting article for probably the worlds leading calorie counting (and portion control) company!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/09/weight-watchers-finally-recognizes-calorie-counting-doesnt-work.aspx

Weightloss isn't some kind of voodoo formula of cutting X for Y time to get results. If the voodoo worked for you, then great and I'm sincerely glad, but I wouldn't consider it sound advice for people starting to lose weight when there is a much simpler, tried and true method of cals in vs cals out.

And Comcast is the largest cable company... doesn't make them the best by any means. The way I see it, Weight Watchers would be broke if fat people were all suddenly skinny ;)
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut out sugar, don't use fruit or diet sweet drinks to replace sugar.
    Add some chromium and zinc supplements--these will help reduce the cravings.
    After two solid days of no sweet tasting food whatsoever, you should start to experience fewer and fewer cravings.
    Drink lots of unflavored water.
    No dairy unless its cream. No yogurt. No cereal. No oatmeal. No rice.
    No fruits.
    Try to eat lean protein and veggies as much as possible.
    Starches will cause your cravings to come back. Its a never-ending cause and effect.
    Good luck!
    PS....check out Dr. Hyman and Mark's Daily Apple.
    Many people successfully make this lifestyle change.

So unnecessary.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Good luck

Santa.jpg

Weightloss isn't some kind of voodoo formula of cutting X for Y time to get results. If the voodoo worked for you, then great and I'm sincerely glad, but I wouldn't consider it sound advice for people starting to lose weight when there is a much simpler, tried and true method of cals in vs cals out.

And Comcast is the largest cable company... doesn't make them the best by any means. The way I see it, Weight Watchers would be broke if fat people were all suddenly skinny ;)

Not voodoo! just simple logic:

reduced sugar = reduced calories = calorie intake in a deficit = weight loss.

I'm not anti sugar by any means - I just don't see the benefit of having it in place of other food I prefer more.

If I feel the need for a chocolate bar or a pizza, or a bowl of ice cream from time to time, I'll have them.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you want to limit your sugar, avoid sweets like pies, cookies, cake, etc. If you crave something sweet, go for something healthier like fruit or yogurt.

I like ice cream and chocolate chip cookies

^this

...and not even in what many would consider "moderate" amounts. I keep them within my overall calorie limits, but those are relatively high.

In season, I also eat fruit in excess of "moderate" amounts.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I did it I was eating the donuts cookies chocolate at the office everyone brings in all the time--for me I can't have just "one" it is all or nothing for me personally! So I stopped, cold turkey got busy waited until 1 pm before I went in our lunch room by then all the goodies usually gone! Do not bring it home. Took about 5 days then cravings just stopped! Felt so in control I stopped having the mid day "can't keep my eyes open" problem rushing for coffee to keep awake gone! After about three months I ate some lovely dark 70% chocolate squares--so good and I was able to limit it to one serving. Great there are people who can have ice cream very day and lose weight--but for some of us that may open the flood gates-so good luck keep at it. I totally understand and once you get past the " withdrawal ' stage" you will be fine!
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I don't cut sugar out because I love fruit. Processed food with sugar though, or added sugar, it's kind of easy. Just say no.:bigsmile:
  • RideOn66
    RideOn66 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, sugar absolutely does aid in making you fat.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I just had a Wendy's chocolate Frosty. I guess I'm going to die now . . .

Nope! But according to the 'expert' on Obesity - you are going to look old and have no energy! I'm really 23 - those Starbucks have been wreaking havoc and I never knew...........

OP - Good luck this time around :flowerforyou:
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating processed sugars, any kind of corn syrup, and any kind of chemical sweetener 3 years ago. I feel wonderful and food tastes fabulous.

Cravings will pretty much stop after a couple of weeks. If you need something sweet in your tea or coffee, try liquid stevia, monkfruit, or agave.

As mentioned by others, the best way to stay away from sugars is to avoid processed foods.

Don't believe those who say that sugar isn't bad for you. It is. Your body will get the sugars it needs if you eat a balanced diet rich in whole grains and fresh fruit.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Not so easy for some believe me and "just say no" did not work for drug addiction in the 80's either--I'm from that era
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Being diabetic I struggle with the sugar issue myself I can only tell you to set your sugar intake goal from week to week if you try to eliminate you may find yourself jus giving up . Its been 7 wks for me and my glucose levels are the best they have been in many years . Good luck
    Fantastic!!

OP.....I've found going 'cold turkey' works for me... just waking up and not including simple carbs as part of your day. Also as someone shared try whole foods/unprocessed where you actually know the ingredients.

I'm in the midst of the struggle myself and have the headache to prove it..... but it can be done. It take me about 3 days before the cravings are gone, it used to take me 2 weeks or more. If ya slip just pick yourself right back up and start again... our taste buds change and you'll find if you eat sugar it becomes almost to sweet, same as salt.

I drink plenty of water and try and focus on other things in life... a food I noticed that really helps is berries of any type. First off they are low in carbs etc., so it doesn't make me crave sugar. What makes them great is you can enjoy them one by one either frozen or fresh. What I mean by that is I also toss grapes in the freezer in the Summer, yes higher in sugar but toss one frozen grape in your mouth and it does the trick.

All the best in your healthier quest.:drinker:
    I stopped eating processed sugars, any kind of corn syrup, and any kind of chemical sweetener 3 years ago. I feel wonderful and food tastes fabulous.

Cravings will pretty much stop after a couple of weeks. If you need something sweet in your tea or coffee, try liquid stevia, monkfruit, or agave.

As mentioned by others, the best way to stay away from sugars is to avoid processed foods.

Don't believe those who say that sugar isn't bad for you. It is. Your body will get the sugars it needs if you eat a balanced diet rich in whole grains and fresh fruit.
    great words!! So glad you posted:heart::flowerforyou: You're an inspiration to me, really!:happy: