cut the SUGAR out

Options

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of replacing sugar with fruit. For instance, I put an apple in my mug of coffee earlier. The result was that I had less coffee so my calorie intake was less than it should have been. :o)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Not so easy for some believe me and "just say no" did not work for drug addiction in the 80's either--I'm from that era

Really? Comparing drug addiction to pigging out?
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    When you say this time, that implies that you've failed your dieting before so now you want to take more "extreme" measures to lose weight. Hate to break it to you, but even if you significantly reduce your sugar intake that will have zero impact on how much weight you lose.

You lose weight by creating a calorie deficit. You can create this deficit by eating Whole foods, diet foods, processed foods, Donuts, Jelly Beans, McDonald's, Pizza and even Twinkies.

I got an idea, if you want to do something extreme then I dare you to go 30 days where you track everything you eat and stay under your calorie goal. I also dare you to measure and weigh everything you eat everyday and allow no guesstimates when possible.
  • RobertReese12
    Options
    Boosting fat and protein will start to shift your metabolism from a fat storing one to a fat burning one. Sounds a bit counter-intuitive, I know, but the science behind this is unmistakable. Excess sugar in the blood gets converted to fat. Eating more fat and protein will start to release the stored fat and boost your metabolism. It will also shift your taste buds away from constantly craving sugar. It will satiate you. It will slow digestion and keep you from reaching for sweets for a quick boost in energy. Remember, we burn through carbs much faster than fats. This is why you can sit on the couch at night and mindlessly chomp through a box of cookies, a tub of ice cream, a bag of potato chips, etc.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I like the idea of replacing sugar with fruit. For instance, I put an apple in my mug of coffee earlier. The result was that I had less coffee so my calorie intake was less than it should have been. :o)

You do realize fruit has.... nevermind... at this point with all the sugar nonsense on the boards I can't tell who is trolling :laugh:
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    This time I am trying to cut out SUGAR. By not adding sugar or eating things with so much sugar in them. Unfortunately here in America we love sugar and most things have sugar in them, but I am working on it. I am craving sweet things by the afternoon I am also feeling quite a bit more tired with out all the added sugar in my diet. This is like day two hopefully by weeks end I will be feeling alot better....

Do you have any helpful hints on how to cut sugar from my diet?

I went low carb high fat and that curbed my cravings for sweet stuff and junk food in general.

Also cutting out trigger foods for about 30 days helped with me and then I would allow it to be re-introduced as and when I wanted it, although that is seldom now.

Good luck

"Trigger food" is about as much of a BS excuse as "sugar addiction"

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. :smile:

Is there science behind "trigger food"? Just curious.

Psychology 101 would be a good place for you to start. Basic brain structure and NT knowledge, along with a good solid understanding of human behavior will lead you to understand how habits are formed. Good luck!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    This time I am trying to cut out SUGAR. By not adding sugar or eating things with so much sugar in them. Unfortunately here in America we love sugar and most things have sugar in them, but I am working on it. I am craving sweet things by the afternoon I am also feeling quite a bit more tired with out all the added sugar in my diet. This is like day two hopefully by weeks end I will be feeling alot better....

I went low carb high fat and that curbed my cravings for sweet stuff and junk food in general.

Also cutting out trigger foods for about 30 days helped with me and then I would allow it to be re-introduced as and when I wanted it, although that is seldom now.

Good luck

Psychology 101 would be a good place for you to start. Basic brain structure and NT knowledge, along with a good solid understanding of human behavior will lead you to understand how habits are formed. Good luck!

Ain't my theory to prove. BS is BS.
  • bkk40in2011
    bkk40in2011 Posts: 72
    Options

First off - I don't cut sugar all that much and instead concentrate on calorie deficit but I have found some ways to keep my sugar intake in check.

Chocolate is one of my downfalls so I switched to dark chocolate. Started at 86% cacao and working from there. I only buy good chocolate now so it seems to be a luxury. For the first time in my life I have had 2 chocolate bars in my pantry and they have lasted over a week and a half. At first dark chocolate was not satisfying but now I crave it. My dark chocolate has 3 g sugar and the health benefits are great. Also I think you can't really stuff yourself on dark chocolate because it is so strong. I saw on the boards that one woman ate unsweet baking chocolate so no sugar. I am happy with the 3 g for a serving of 86% dark chocolate. Also the dark chocolate doesn't make me further crave things like the other does. I also find that when I up my protein I don't crave the sweets.

The slump in the afternoon is very real and so people reach for sugar for the last pick me up for the last part of day. I now lay down for a short rest or go for a walk. That seems to kick the cravings in the bud and give me the energy I need. Good luck!
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I don't cut out sugar. I just eat things that are sweet in moderation.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options

Good luck

I'll take that as an admission that you have no knowledge of the above areas.

It is easy to claim something is "BS" because it doesn't fit into your schema, but it doesn't make it any less scientific or valid. There is no amount of research that would sway you because you are happy to believe your own opinions as they obviously are meeting some psychological need. That is fine, but don't pretend to understand basic brain anatomy and how NTs work if you don't. And clearly, you don't.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Don't believe those who say that sugar isn't bad for you. It is. Your body will get the sugars it needs if you eat a balanced diet rich in whole grains and fresh fruit.

Lol yus. Shame the non believers!!!
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Excess sugar in the blood gets converted to fat.

False. Excess calories become fat. That is anything eaten in a surplus.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

Good luck

I'll take that as an admission that you have no knowledge of the above areas.

It is easy to claim something is "BS" because it doesn't fit into your schema, but it doesn't make it any less scientific or valid. There is no amount of research that would sway you because you are happy to believe your own opinions as they obviously are meeting some psychological need. That is fine, but don't pretend to understand basic brain anatomy and how NTs work if you don't. And clearly, you don't.

It's called being a responsible grown up when it comes to food. I used to believe in all that "trigger food" nonsense, but all it boiled down to was a lack of discipline, laziness, and not caring about what or how much I ate. Once I put my big boy pants on (so to speak), the concept of "trigger foods" was rubbish. I am around the same foods as I was 30lbs ago. The terms "trigger foods" or "sabotage" whatever you want to call them are just blamestorming for your own shortcomings.

I don't think you understand basic brain anatomy. So there.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Nope, it's definitely glucose the person above is talking about.

I assume they are talking about carbs.

Carbs - converted to glucose, the glucose is then - taken up by the body as fuel, stored in the muscles and liver (limited storage), converted into body fat to be released as fuel at a later stage.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    In for the shenanigans.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

Carbs - converted to glucose, the glucose is then - taken up by the body as fuel, stored in the muscles and liver (limited storage), converted into body fat to be released as fuel at a later stage.

Given the amount of carbs I eat, most of them sugary, I don't see how this works. There's no way I burn off all the calories I consume of sugary carbs and I've most certainly reduced my body fat going from 170 lbs to 118 lbs...otherwise, you're saying that excess sugar is converted to fat and my BF% shouldve stayed stagnant.

ETA: I'm genuinely curious. I'm no scientist but I do have my own results and I'm wondering how I achieved this given what is implied
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Given the amount of carbs I eat, most of them sugary, I don't see how this works. There's no way I burn off all the calories I consume of sugary carbs and I've most certainly reduced my body fat going from 170 lbs to 118 lbs...otherwise, you're saying that excess sugar is converted to fat and my BF% shouldve stayed stagnant.

ETA: I'm genuinely curious. I'm no scientist but I do have my own results and I'm wondering how I achieved this given what is implied

If you are eating in a deficit you will likely not have surplus glucose in your blood or full glycogen stores in your muscles and liver, plus if you are on a medium to high carb diet your brain will be using about 130g to function, so I doubt you will be storing much if any glucose as body fat.

However, if you are consuming large quantities of glucose in one sitting (still within your calorie goal though) your body may have to store some, just to get it out of your blood stream, but as your body will be converting body fat for fuel anyway what it stores will likely be burnt later in the day anyway.
  • jmangini
    jmangini Posts: 166 Member
    Options

he is correct according to science, however it is far more complicated than that. No one can explain fully the differences and effects of metabolism, hormones, etc. Experts, doctors and diet gurus disagree in a big way. The bottom line is it's all still very much a mystery. That's why I get a little chuckle any time I see people so angrily argue their beliefs. It's like arguing religion. Everyone has their beliefs but there's no proof one way or another. I lost my weight eating carbs and fasting. but their are a lot of people who say they lost weight on Atkins or eating all day long. Who knows. If something works for you, that's really all that matters.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

If you are eating in a deficit you will likely not have surplus glucose in your blood or full glycogen stores in your muscles and liver, plus if you are on a medium to high carb diet your brain will be using about 130g to function, so I doubt you will be storing much if any glucose as body fat.

However, if you are consuming large quantities of glucose in one sitting (still within your calorie goal though) your body may have to store some, just to get it out of your blood stream, but as your body will be converting body fat for fuel anyway what it stores will likely be burnt later in the day anyway.

So, essentially, in order to create these circumstances we're talking super extremes and probably not something any normal.person would ever experience and even IF that were to occur, it would be minor at best?

I'm actually going through my first bulk, so I am at potential excess atm and visually there are differences towards leaner, even given the circumstances, so you see how I'm leary of this information
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Yes, sugar absolutely does aid in making you fat.

Yes, Protein absolutely does aid in making you fat.

Both of these are true on the face of it.